cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In-Store Activation, No Port, Now Stuck

DaVibe
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Activated a new SIM Card and plan in-store, handed me a piece of paper with account info.

I chose not to port at this time because I want to try the service first.  Phone is unlocked.

Thought I could pop the SIM card and be on my way but so far, no good. 

Do I have to change the settings on the phone just for service?  

Phone says emergency calls only, can't receive a text message with any code.

Now I'm stuck.  Help is appreciated!

10 REPLIES 10

apresco0
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Please post again if you have any success... I tried to port my number into Public, and now I've been stuck for 2 days with no service. Moderators have not been responsive... well that's not entirely true. They've responded to my initial messages, but then zero follow ups or updates. Plus my credit card has been double charged for a service I'm not receiving.

@mimmo wrote:

@DaVibe I would not worry about breaking the cards.  I have many times put the nano sim back into the bigger sim and had no issues. 

I've actually broken these adapters (the ones made the sim card manufactuer) a bunch of times, although the nano sim card itself remains fine. 

I find they are flimy and break extrremely easily, especially the part that converts nano to micro sim size due to how thin the bordering plastic is on one of the sides.  It's always that one side that has always broken on me, both on sim cards from other carriers and the Public Mobile sim card that I have.

In addition, I find that the smaller sizes fall out very easily, but this depends on the method of inserting needed to put the sim card into the phone. Phone with sim card trays are usually fine, but I find that the most finicky kind of kind of sim card slots are the ones that you have to slide in (non spring loaded) because the way you have to press down to slide it in.  The smaller pieces fall out all the time from what I see.

I find that the adapters also warp when removing and reattching them a few times.

Now, or course this doesn't just happen by itself but rather when you're moving your sim card among different phones on a repeated basis, espcially if changing the sizing.

I've also seen cell phone store employees break the adapters by accident.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mimmo wrote:

@DaVibe I would not worry about breaking the cards.  I have many times put the nano sim back into the bigger sim and had no issues. 

Agree.  The nano SIM and the 2 adaptors are tight fit.  Don't need any thing to hodl them together.

mimmo

DaVibe

I'm hoping that a discussion with a moderator can determine which SIM card is the active one.  The guy in the store mixed them up, we thought we had it right but who knows, maybe we don't.

I don't exactly want to break the card (this phone requires the smallest type of SIM) just to "test" the card.  Next phone I use it on, it might require the full card.  Just would rather leave it in tact, if at all possible.

Still doesn't explain why I can't sign-in, when apparently I've created an account for this plan.

ANYWAYS, I already PM'd and we'll see how that goes.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  We'll see how what happens next.

popping

@DaVibe wrote:

Purchased 2 SIM cards at the time, assuming I have the right one, this one has a signal.

@Luddite wrote:

To be clear, you have not yet requested the port-in of your number?

Additional info please:

a) make/model of your phone?

b) login to your self serve account to confirm the plan is correct and sb=hows "Active".

c) try your SIM in another unlocked phone, and your old carrier SIM in yours.

Port has not happened, I was hoping to try the service with the new number assigned.

LG K4

Can't log into the self-serve account, password request fails.

1.  Do a network reset on LG phone.before getting data work.

2.  Cannot create self-serve account without working PM SIM card to receive a text message with a 6 digits (IIRC) code.

System maintenance is about to start.  Have good night sleep and do the debugging tomorrow.  You may get moderator help tomorrow from from 9am (EDT) to 7:30pm (EDT).

Just remembered that you should reboot your phone while awaiting the moderators. Sometimes that's all it takes.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Hopefully your old SIM is working because I'm sure you need assistance from the Moderator Team. Click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with a description of your issue. Usually they answer within in 24 hours, but can take a few days.

Do not send multiple messages. This increases the queue and adds to the time moderators take to locate all your messages. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

Sorry you're off to a bad start with Public Mobile. Better days to come.

DaVibe

Purchased 2 SIM cards at the time, assuming I have the right one, this one has a signal.

@Luddite wrote:

Additional info please:

b) login to your self serve account to confirm the plan is correct and sb=hows "Active".

Port has not happened, I was hoping to try the service with the new number assigned.

LG K4

Can't log into the self-serve account, password request fails.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Additional info please:

b) login to your self serve account to confirm the plan is correct and shows "Active".

Need Help? Let's chat.