cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Relay

brookg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does Public Mobile offer an IP Relay? In my understanding they are now supposed to, unless I'm missing something? How do I get access to this?

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/acces/mrsrt.htm

"IP relay service is offered to all home phone subscribers in Canada and will, by June 2019, be offered to all mobile phone subscribers. In an IP relay service call, a person with a hearing or speech disability uses an Internet-enabled device (e.g., computer, laptop, tablet, mobile phone) to reach a relay operator by logging into the IP relay provider’s web portal. Conversely, the other party may call the person with a disability by dialing a toll-free number to reach an IP relay operator."

11 REPLIES 11

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi Brook,

First of all, let me apologize for the misinformation. Last time you contacted us, there was no information related to IP Relay services, but situation was escalated and shortly after, the information was made available and posted in our Community site. 

For your information, here's the link regarding IP Relay service at Public Mobile: http://bit.ly/2J54zWc

Sincerely,
Public Mobile Moderator Team

brookg

I heard back regarding the CRTC inquiry. It seems that Public Mobile does offer an IP Relay. If anyone is in need of this service, please push the issue with Public Mobile.

Any further issues getting access can be directed to the CRTC here: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/plaint.htm#p3

"A review of this matter finds that you were misinformed by the Public Mobile representative.  Public Mobile provides IP Relay service as required. On behalf of Public Mobile, we apologize and have provided the appropriate coaching." - TELUS, Regulatory Affairs

@RossN wrote:

I would also be interested in the answer as my son has profound hearing loss so please let us know if you can find any info 

brookg

Yup already mentioned switching to Fido. But just because I'm leaving, doesn't mean I shouldn't push Public Mobile to make their services more accessible on the way out. I'm confident it's completely within their means to do so as a Telus subsidiary, without undue hardship.

@GinYVR wrote:

If you read the policy you would notice that Bell already offer the service without regulation.. so rather than tilt the windmill, I suggest use the easier way and look whether Lucky (or maybe Chatr) supports it. Another of note, is it mentioned that the service uses device browser to provider access, so I assume the end user would need a relatively new / at least mid range device to access the service reasonably.

If you read the policy you would notice that Bell already offer the service without regulation.. so rather than tilt the windmill, I suggest use the easier way and look whether Lucky (or maybe Chatr) supports it. Another of note, is it mentioned that the service uses device browser to provider access, so I assume the end user would need a relatively new / at least mid range device to access the service reasonably.

brookg

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice response. Kinda washing their hands saying "see we don't really have to". That's some liberal use of TLA's. But yes there are apps that could do similar things.

Ya, looks like they got out of it on a technicality? Here's the CRTC complaint link :).

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/plaint.htm#p3

Anonymous
Not applicable

@brookg wrote:

@RossN wrote:

I would also be interested in the answer as my son has profound hearing loss so please let us know if you can find any info 

Okay apparently Public Mobile doesn't currently support this (and looks like they don't support 711 either). Reply from moderator team below. Hopefully Public Mobile will support in the near future. I'm switching providers in order to access this (Fido has rates close to PM for me as well as IP Relay / 711). https://www.fido.ca/consumer/accessibility/relay-services

Good luck to you and your son :). Services like this can really improve quality of life for folks that need it.

---

We've been looking into this issue and it seams that  there are providers in Canada, but unfortunately Public Mobile does not have implemented these types of text to voice services.

We did double check the CRTC, and it states that:

"WSPs that provide voice services include mobile wireless carriers, including wireless CLECs, and resellers that provide mobile wireless services. WSPs are not currently required to offer MRS, unless they are registered with the Commission as a wireless CLEC."

Here you have the full policy: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-466.htm

This is definitely an important service so the issue was sent forward to see if it could be implemented sometime in the future.

Searching online I did found that on the market there are different apps for this service but you will have to find one that suits you.

Nice response. Kinda washing their hands saying "see we don't really have to". That's some liberal use of TLA's. But yes there are apps that could do similar things.

Public Mobile used to offer a TTY add-on. If you hunt around for the add-on tutorial that srlawren made you'll see that it used to be there.

Thanks for the update.

brookg

@RossN wrote:

Okay apparently Public Mobile doesn't currently support this (and looks like they don't support 711 either). Reply from moderator team below. Hopefully Public Mobile will support in the near future. I'm switching providers in order to access this (Fido has rates close to PM for me as well as IP Relay / 711). https://www.fido.ca/consumer/accessibility/relay-services

Good luck to you and your son :). Services like this can really improve quality of life for folks that need it.

---

We've been looking into this issue and it seams that  there are providers in Canada, but unfortunately Public Mobile does not have implemented these types of text to voice services.

We did double check the CRTC, and it states that:

"WSPs that provide voice services include mobile wireless carriers, including wireless CLECs, and resellers that provide mobile wireless services. WSPs are not currently required to offer MRS, unless they are registered with the Commission as a wireless CLEC."

Here you have the full policy: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-466.htm

This is definitely an important service so the issue was sent forward to see if it could be implemented sometime in the future.

Searching online I did found that on the market there are different apps for this service but you will have to find one that suits you.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

brookg

Done, thank you! 🙂 Will see how this goes.

@geopublic wrote:

@brookg wrote:

Does Public Mobile offer an IP Relay? In my understanding they are now supposed to, unless I'm missing something? How do I get access to this?

"IP relay service is offered to all home phone subscribers in Canada and will, by June 2019, be offered to all mobile phone subscribers. In an IP relay service call, a person with a hearing or speech disability uses an Internet-enabled device (e.g., computer, laptop, tablet, mobile phone) to reach a relay operator by logging into the IP relay provider’s web portal. Conversely, the other party may call the person with a disability by dialing a toll-free number to reach an IP relay operator."

@brookg  This is the first I've heard of this. To get a definitive answer it would be best to ask Public Mobile directly. To contact Public Mobile click here. The link sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am (Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm (Eastern).

Please let us know what their response was. Smiley Happy

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@brookg wrote:

@brookg  This is the first I've heard of this. To get a definitive answer it would be best to ask Public Mobile directly. To contact Public Mobile click here. The link sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am (Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm (Eastern).

Please let us know what their response was. Smiley Happy

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

You have an interesting find,  it seems PM should have it.   Wondering how it works.

Need Help? Let's chat.