cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMEI number not recognized

angel04
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My phone is samsung galaxy s6 edge and the IMEI number I entered to check whether I can use this phone with Public Mobile services, it says number not found. How can I find out whether my phone will work?

17 REPLIES 17

SkimGuy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Before buying a new phone, to check compatibility you can always go to https://willmyphonework.net and put in all the info to see.

@Nazeer_Khan wrote:

Hi

I brought my mobile phone (Asus Zenfone max pro m2) yesterday.

Today I check my IMEI number to know my phone's specs in (imei.info),but it says that we are sorry at this moment we can't find any of this number

What should I do now?

There is nothing to do.  There is no requirement to check the IMEI when signing up.  You need to ensure that it is compatible, but the online checker is full of mistakes anyway.  The manufacturer is usually a far more accurate provider of that type of network type and radio frewuency information.  Pretty much you need to know what you are purchasing.  At the very least, you need to make sure that the phone has at least 850 and/or 1900MHz on 3g or phone calls won't be possible.

Nazeer_Khan

Hi

I brought my mobile phone (Asus Zenfone max pro m2) yesterday.

Today I check my IMEI number to know my phone's specs in (imei.info),but it says that we are sorry at this moment we can't find any of this number

What should I do now?

@JuniperDog wrote:

Hi All. I am in the same position as the OP. I just bought a brand new unlocked Moto G6 Play from Costco.  I haven’t taken it out of the box yet. When I use the public mobile IMEI checker it says “device not recognized”.  I went to the website recommended in this thread called “willmyphonework” and this Motorola model is not listed.  I would like to become a public mobile customer but I need to know if my phone will work before I sign up.  Can anyone help?

Yes, this phone will work on Public Mobile.  The IMEI checking tool isn't reliable anyway and somtimes gives incorrect results.  It's really there for convenience purposes, but customers are in no way required to run this check before signing up.

Costco stoes in Canada and costco.ca will be selling only Motorla phones that carry Canadian warranties, meaning that these devices are versions that are optimiazed to work as many networks as possible that Canadians use.  This particular model will work on any carrier in Canada.

JuniperDog

Yes it looks the same. Thanks. I don’t like the word “should” in your message, but I guess that’s the best you can do without holding it in your hands? :). 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JuniperDog- If it is the Moto G6 Play listed on  https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g6_play-9002.php, it should be compatible.  It has band 4 which is the primary data band for LTE, and has the required bands for 3G (talk).

BTW, the IMEI checker only checks to see if a phone has been reported as lost/stolen.  It does not reliably indicate if a phone is compatible with the Public Mobile network.

JuniperDog

Hi All. I am in the same position as the OP. I just bought a brand new unlocked Moto G6 Play from Costco.  I haven’t taken it out of the box yet. When I use the public mobile IMEI checker it says “device not recognized”.  I went to the website recommended in this thread called “willmyphonework” and this Motorola model is not listed.  I would like to become a public mobile customer but I need to know if my phone will work before I sign up.  Can anyone help?

Everything working
I think pm imei check link is not super reliable
But as a mention before as long phones from big carrier they usually work with public mobile
Welcome to pm
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

angel04

I managed to find the IMEI number on the back of my phone, but really appreciate your help!

angel04

I managed to find the IMEI number on the back of my phone, but really appreciate your help!

Like mentioned above, if the phone is unlocked, or came from Telus or Koodo it should work.

However, if it came from another carrier, it will have to be unlocked. Locked phones set to another carrier will not work on PM

Here is the Golden rule:

If Handset came from Telus/Koodo, you're all set, no need to unlock

PM uses Telus's HSPA+4G Network

3G: 850/1900 MHz: Bare Minimum requirement for Talk, Txt & Data

4G LTE: 1700/2100 MHz: Only Data, VOLTE is not yet available, maybe later

Telus has NO/ ZERO, ZIP, 2G GSM 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It's well documented that the IMEI checker is broken.  In fact, I put in a labs suggestion to get rid of it and refer customers to willmyphonework.net.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You can check for compatibility with PM's network on this site:
http://willmyphonework.net/
According to that site, most Samsung S6 models produced for global or North America will work with PM. You'd need your exact variant to be sure though.

As mentioned, IMEI checkers are only useful for checking if the phone has been blacklisted (e.g. stolen) or not.

If s6 edge was originally from Telus Koodo bell fido rogers tmobile at&t or any other major gsm carrier then it will work for sure as long phone is unlocked and clean imei which means not blacklisted or report lost or stolen if it's clean and one of those carrier it will work
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

Checking a phone's IMEI number with Public Mobile's web compatibility checker is not a requirement for a phone's use.  In fact, any IMEI database is going to have some errors and missing data.  it's a general guide only.  Where did you purchase your S6 Edge from (was it from another carrier)?  Knowing the exact model would be helpful because there are often multiple variants of a phone made for different regions, sometimes only some of which will be compatible.

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
Did you try to check Pm website
https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started Click on that then phone scroll down it's will give u tutorial how to get imei and then you can check imei their as well if that doesn't work then Check your phone imei on swappa website
Also what's the model number I can check for you and provide a link for u
Need Help? Let's chat.