cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to sign up

coffeecrisp92
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I want to sign up because the prices are amazing.  However, there is not much information on this site.  When I called the number, apparently they will only help you if you have a phone number with them.  I was looking at the deals and some deals are ending today.  I guess I won't be able to get the deal, due to having to get a sim card that is blank, which I have to purchase.  I get that.  Can you bring your old phone number that you have with say Bell to Public Mobile?  Will my cell service once hooked up to Public Moblie work in Red Deer?  I live in Red Deer, so that is why I am asking.  Say if I went to BC will my phone work there?  I checked to see if my phone would work with Public Mobile and it said it would.  How come there is no cell phones on their website to look at?  Is that something they will offer in the future once I pay my bills on time and rack in a tab?  Please help me because I am lost and confused

14 REPLIES 14

datasunny
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You can get sim card from walmart

frjohnssc

absolutely do not cancel with Bell first you will lose your phone number! The system is set up to auto cancel you previous account when you sign up with a new provider. I should have mentioned this in my first post. I went to Walmart and it was all done in minutes and I had my new plan and saving money.

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@coffeecrisp92...  NO!  Do not cancel with Bell before you sign up AND your number is transfered to Public mobile.  If you do, your number will be lost.  In fact, once your number is transfered, your Bell account should be closed off automatically if it is the only line in the account.

frjohnssc

I just stopped by walmart and got a sim card. They activated it and I kept my old number. My account at my previous provider was automatically canceled when I ported my phone number. If you get a new number I suspect you will have to cancel your old account.

I wanted the latest special which expires today so walmart was a good option, they were not busy and it was done very quickly.

coffeecrisp92

In order for my number to be transferred would I have to cancel with bell first in order to do this?

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You just have to make sure your current phone is unlocked, and you're good to go. As everyone else has been saying, everything else should work well.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@coffeecrisp92 wrote:

Thanks for answering the questions.  I was looking at Lucky and they have good plans too.  I have a 4g phone, so if I took a 3g package will it still work?

Public Mobiles 3G plans are actually on the LTE network just the top speed is capped to 3-3.5mbps. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@coffeecrisp92, I should add that the so called 3G data plans are actually 4G/LTE.  The speed has been throttled but the connection remains LTE preferred.  Also, if you are interested in the promo that is ending today, stop by a walmart and do the activation there.  They offer SIM cards and can assist with activation. 

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@coffeecrisp92 wrote:

Say if I went to BC will my phone work there? 

You can look at the coverage map to see where they have service:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage

coffeecrisp92

ok. thanks.

anush36

Phones that are 4G compatible are typically 3G compatible as well, but if you want to be sure you should check the specifications of the phone online. 

coffeecrisp92

Thanks for answering the questions.  I was looking at Lucky and they have good plans too.  I have a 4g phone, so if I took a 3g package will it still work?

anush36

Hey, 

Can you bring your old phone number that you have with say Bell to Public Mobile? 

Yes!

Will my cell service once hooked up to Public Moblie work in Red Deer?

Yes! 

Say if I went to BC will my phone work there? 

Since Public Mobile uses the Telus network, it will work anywhere in BC where Telus has coverage. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@coffeecrisp92 wrote:

Hello, I want to sign up because the prices are amazing.  However, there is not much information on this site.  When I called the number, apparently they will only help you if you have a phone number with them.  I was looking at the deals and some deals are ending today.  I guess I won't be able to get the deal, due to having to get a sim card that is blank, which I have to purchase.  I get that.  Can you bring your old phone number that you have with say Bell to Public Mobile?  Will my cell service once hooked up to Public Moblie work in Red Deer?  I live in Red Deer, so that is why I am asking.  Say if I went to BC will my phone work there?  I checked to see if my phone would work with Public Mobile and it said it would.  How come there is no cell phones on their website to look at?  Is that something they will offer in the future once I pay my bills on time and rack in a tab?  Please help me because I am lost and confused

That's a bunch of questions!

This is a pretty hands-on, self-serve, basic, prepaid service. There's no call centre with people standing by waiting for you to call.

You can port your prior number.

It will work in Red Deer. Public Mobile belongs to Telus. Telus rules out west. You'll get service.

It will work in BC. There are no zones with PM.

There are no "bills" in PM. You pay up front for service. You don't pay...your service stops.

Need Help? Let's chat.