cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a PM SIM that I want to give to a friend...

legaleli
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a PM SIM that I want to give to a friend. I already activated it and used it.  Is it possible to transfer ownership of the SIM card that is under my name to be under my friend's name?  I am also hoping that she can then port her cell number (from Virgin) over to PM.

10 REPLIES 10

liuxinbing
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

don't have to transfer and there is no transfer. Just give the SIM and the account details.

@legaleli wrote:

I have a PM SIM that I want to give to a friend. I already activated it and used it.  Is it possible to transfer ownership of the SIM card that is under my name to be under my friend's name?  I am also hoping that she can then port her cell number (from Virgin) over to PM.

As stated, the name on account can be easily changed in self-serve if its still an active account.  The account PIN can't be changed, if it matter to the new person using the account that you know the PIN.  The actual name on the account doesn't mean all that much since Public Mobile doesn't verify that information.  When it comes to porting, the name on the Public Mobie and Virgin Mobile accounts don't ned to be the same.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@legaleli 

Once a SIM has been activated, it cannot be reused on another account.

If the account and SIM are still active (or suspended less than 90 days), then you could transfer both the SIM and account over to a friend or family member. First, you should delete some info (including credit card) from the account.

As others have said, you can get free SIM (until end of May) with in-store activation. The only difference is your friend would be selecting a plan from the current offers.

The only advantage with transferring your SIM
- is if you have a "better" plan on your current account that your friend would like to keep.
- or you have available funds/credits in your account that won't go to waste.

There is no cost to port from other providers, like Virgin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheOldVR wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@TheOldVR wrote:

Could a person hand over their account with the SIM card to someone else, and then have do a new port if needed?

Handing over an activated SIM without the associated account would not be possible... at least as far as I know.....

Why not?

For the recipient though...who's paying at the end of the term? Wouldn't that recipient want the account? Wouldn't the recipient want to get any emails or to be able to reset it?

Or even think of a family. You get a SIM, you get a SIM etc.

Agreed.. so hand over the SIM with the account, and yes you can give someone your used SIM card. Otherwise, no can do.

But but but...you still could. It's incumbent upon the recipient to want to get the account. The active SIM can be given away. Until the active service suspends for non-payment. Who would give someone an active account with an active cc with an active autopay?

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

@TheOldVR wrote:

Could a person hand over their account with the SIM card to someone else, and then have do a new port if needed?

Handing over an activated SIM without the associated account would not be possible... at least as far as I know.....

Why not?

For the recipient though...who's paying at the end of the term? Wouldn't that recipient want the account? Wouldn't the recipient want to get any emails or to be able to reset it?

Agreed.. so hand over the SIM with the account, and yes you can give someone your used SIM card. Otherwise, no can do.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheOldVR wrote:

Why not?

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GinYVR wrote:

No you can't all SIM cards are one time use only. Once it is activated that's it.

However Walmart offers free SIMs at in store activation.. and also select store this weekend on the special Flash $25 deal.

You're making assumptions without an "if". We don't know if the SIM had become deactivated. To paraphrase what Dunkman said, the only complicated part is the internal, initial email address on the account. The rest is easy.

And the "Flash $25 deal" is the 5gb bonus on any ready-made-plan >=$25 going on this weekend. The promo goes on to offer the free SIM until May 31st.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

No you can't all SIM cards are one time use only. Once it is activated that's it.

However Walmart offers free SIMs at in store activation.. and also select store this weekend on the special Flash $25 deal.

@legaleli wrote:

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@legaleli 

If the account/SIM card is active still, you can transfer over to your friend.  Just need to change all the demographics in the self service account, including billing information, etc.  You may need to contact moderator to change certain items like email address.  

If the SIM card is expired (more than 90 days), the SIM card is invalid and unable to use again.

Need Help? Let's chat.