cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't want data

Highland01
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Strange, I know. Have a phone for the kids. Want to ensure that the phone is limited to texts and calls. Looks like all plans come with data (which would mean that photo sharing by text is possible, and there are concerns around that). Would like to get a plan without data. Is it possible to turn off data from my profile here? Or... is there a data free plan I'm missing? 

30 REPLIES 30

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious wrote:

@iPhoneUser wrote:

Data Block on prepaid was free with Telus. 

@iPhoneUser  Still? Mine was free but when they screwed up my bill and accidentally removed it I phoned to get it applied again they charged me. I had to phone again to get them to remove the charge and waive the fee because it was grandfathered in....but new requests for a data block get charged.

As of 4 months ago was free but how much before that when I asked I don’t know when that was. 

@iPhoneUser wrote:

@iPhoneUser  Still? Mine was free but when they screwed up my bill and accidentally removed it I phoned to get it applied again they charged me. I had to phone again to get them to remove the charge and waive the fee because it was grandfathered in....but new requests for a data block get charged.

iPhoneUser

@iPhoneUser  I had the data blocked after I borrowed a friends Nokia with the key board that would slide out from the side of the phone after I dropped my flip phone in a sink of soaking dishes. Didn t even know it was there until I washed the dishes! Anyhow somehow that phone YouTubed for about three hours in my pocket...i wouldn't have even known how to get to the site. I nearly had a heart attack when I got my bill! Luckily telus waived the charge and applied the data block. But they now charge $2 per month for that service.

iPhoneUser

@darlicious wrote:

@iPhoneUser wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Highland01  I messaged the moderators about putting a data block on an account. Unfortunately public mobile is unable to do this...probably because it's a prepaid service so there is no risk of accidently using data and being charged for it.

Being a subsidiary of Telus I am surprised as I had my day blocked on my Telus prepaid account. 

Not it sure why Data is such an issue. If the phone can use data on it is malconfigured.....what about wifi? Or am I missing something?

@iPhoneUser  I had my data blocked on my postpaid telus account.  Curiously if you didn't have it blocked could you be charged for data? Here we cannot. That's not the reasoning here. The OP wants a service for their child on a flip phone with no access to data or MMS.

On my Telus prepaid you could buy a data add on. But I did not buy. But data use was always leaking even though everything was turned off on our phones. It was about 20 cents a month and since I had a balance on my account it was always paid BUT a PITA, so I asked to have a Data Block and it all stopped. Texting was not used as the cost was 50 cents each in or out. Public Mobile has been a real good deal for us compared to our previous Telus prepaid plan.  

@iPhoneUser wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Highland01  I messaged the moderators about putting a data block on an account. Unfortunately public mobile is unable to do this...probably because it's a prepaid service so there is no risk of accidently using data and being charged for it.

Being a subsidiary of Telus I am surprised as I had my day blocked on my Telus prepaid account. 

Not it sure why Data is such an issue. If the phone can use data on it is malconfigured.....what about wifi? Or am I missing something?

@iPhoneUser  I had my data blocked on my postpaid telus account.  Curiously if you didn't have it blocked could you be charged for data? Here we cannot. That's not the reasoning here. The OP wants a service for their child on a flip phone with no access to data or MMS.

iPhoneUser

@darlicious wrote:

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Highland01IIf you get your child a rugby 3 the OP in another thread is having an impossible time getting the MMS and data to work because he can't add a new APN from the original Rogers and telus ones. Your choice of phone could help in this situation.

@Highland01  The $15 plan says it only comes w/data w/autopay but there are many reports of users still getting data without autopay. It's hard to resist getting your child a phone on this promo for $8 per 30 days. Just add the $5/500min add on to supplement the plan minutes.

The concern surrounding access to data and MMS is warranted. It also means your child is not teen over the age of at least 13. Disabling the data on a flip phone would best be achieved by making subtle changes to the APN. It's a bit of a process on a flip phone and maybe your child won't have the where with all to try especially if you tell them it's been blocked already by public mobile.

There shouldn't be any real reason the moderators can't put a data block on the phone unless it's just not an option built into the system because it's prepaid. I had the data blocked on my flip phone while with telus. I would contact them to see if it's possible if you think your child would be determined enough to Google the instructions and settings. And notice a missing period, number, extra comma etc....the smallest mistake in an APN can mess it up....put in 4 or 5 tiny changes they would probably give up.

Many phones have security password/PIN options which prevent Settings (like WiFi disabled and Data disabled) from being changed.

Alternately, you can install some sort of parental/security app which can whitelist or blacklist or censor activities, even specific phone numbers or websites. You may need to root the device so that smart kids don't factory reset back to automatically enabled defaults.

Or you could subscribe to some sort of family cellphone plan which allows/denies privileges through an account control panel. Although such plans are not cheap, and Public Mobile doesn't offer them.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jb456 wrote:

It has webrowser to Google speed test. Newer phones can run it via browser. 

I have a flip in my office drawer when I get to work tomorrow I'll test it out.

Funny thing is we all did not mention the possibility to contact moderators and ask them to remove it when it renews each 30days 😂 they fix data for others that lost it accidentally o(case by case) so maybe they have a way to simply remove it??

Moderator may be disable the picture MMS for sure.  YMMV

@popping wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

@gblackma Correction it was @kselmak that suggested $15 plan cause if you don't add auto-pay you get no data.

I suggested running data down as kids would blow through 100 minutes I know my son would do it in ONE hour and 40 minutes haha..

@Highland01  get the $25 plan..act fast for lunar promo which is $5 off plus auto-pay bringing 30 day payment to $18 for 2nd through 9th payment.

Options with the 1 gig data you'd get per 30 days is....

Change APN settings...this  ALSO MEANS NO MMS PICTURES MESSAGES.

Or take phone at each renewal and run down the gig to zero...YouTube...or keep doing speed tests...this means NO DATA LEFT BUT CAN STILL GET MMS PICTURES MESSAGES.

Flip phone does not have speed test app.  It will be painful slow to use 1GB data on a flip phone.

It has webrowser to Google speed test. Newer phones can run it via browser. 

I have a flip in my office drawer when I get to work tomorrow I'll test it out.

Funny thing is we all did not mention the possibility to contact moderators and ask them to remove it when it renews each 30days 😂 they fix data for others that lost it accidentally o(case by case) so maybe they have a way to simply remove it??

popping

@iPhoneUser wrote:

@Highland01 wrote:

This is the crux of it:

"If this is important to you to control what your kid see, PM is not for you."

Much appreciated. 

You really mean any smart device that uses data or wifi is not for your kid. 

OP is giving his kid a flip phone.

iPhoneUser

@Highland01 wrote:

This is the crux of it:

Much appreciated. 

You really mean any smart device that uses data or wifi is not for your kid. 

Joelkim
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yo should have data in emergency case and you need the date to use google map when you lost anywhere else. 

popping

@Jb456 wrote:

@gblackma Correction it was @kselmak that suggested $15 plan cause if you don't add auto-pay you get no data.

I suggested running data down as kids would blow through 100 minutes I know my son would do it in ONE hour and 40 minutes haha..

@Highland01  get the $25 plan..act fast for lunar promo which is $5 off plus auto-pay bringing 30 day payment to $18 for 2nd through 9th payment.

Or take phone at each renewal and run down the gig to zero...YouTube...or keep doing speed tests...this means NO DATA LEFT BUT CAN STILL GET MMS PICTURES MESSAGES.

Flip phone does not have speed test app.  It will be painful slow to use 1GB data on a flip phone.

Does anyone know of a cellphone company that allows you to block Mms on an account?

@Highland01 wrote:

This is the crux of it:

Much appreciated. 

popping

@Highland01 wrote:

Should have mentioned, it's a flip phone, so not sure that it's running android (would have to check, and don't have it with me right now), so not sure about apn settings. The $15 plan would be good, but then they are limited to 100 min of call out time. Was ideally looking at the $25 plan (unlimited calling/texting), but even without autopay, it has 500mb. 

Kids will Google how to enable data on a flip phone. 

All I did to my mother's flip phone is insert PM SIM card and restart the flip phone with data enabled.  APN is configured correctly.

Highland01

This is the crux of it:

Much appreciated. 

@Highland01 There is a 500 minute add on for $5. 

@Highland01 wrote:

Should have mentioned, it's a flip phone, so not sure that it's running android (would have to check, and don't have it with me right now), so not sure about apn settings. The $15 plan would be good, but then they are limited to 100 min of call out time. Was ideally looking at the $25 plan (unlimited calling/texting), but even without autopay, it has 500mb. 

popping

@jsmarjara wrote:

The best option is to consume data on first day. Other option is get normal bar phone that has no less options like Nokia or alcatel has phones .  Or disable mobile network and don't let kids know they have internet options. You cannot stop internet 100% as school have internet , even stores have internet.

Kid will Google why picture MMS is not working.

PM picture message will work even if your plan does not have data or used because data usage is included with the text plan as long as data is enable with correct APN.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Highland01 You can get a plan without data. And as long as data is enabled on the smartphone pictures can be sent. So @Jb456 Is right you can just get the $15 plan with the least data and run it down.  You may be able to block Mms sending on the phone by deliberately messing up your mms settings. Some of the more tech savvy here may be able to help you. 

@Highland01 wrote:

Strange, I know. Have a phone for the kids. Want to ensure that the phone is limited to texts and calls. Looks like all plans come with data (which would mean that photo sharing by text is possible, and there are concerns around that). Would like to get a plan without data. Is it possible to turn off data from my profile here? Or... is there a data free plan I'm missing? 

Highland01

popping

@Highland01 

PM text message includes picture MMS.  Even if your kid's plan does not have data.  Picture MMS is still coming through as long as your kid enable data on his/her phone.   There is no extra charge for MMS data usage and is included the all text message.

If this is important to you to control what your kid see, PM is not for you.

jsmarjara
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The best option is to consume data on first day. Other option is get normal bar phone that has no less options like Nokia or alcatel has phones .  Or disable mobile network and don't let kids know they have internet options. You cannot stop internet 100% as school have internet , even stores have internet.

sweden06
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

From the top of my head the only thing I can think about is getting the standard plan and don't register it for Auto-Pay. The 250MB are bonus data when you register for Auto-Pay.

@kselmak wrote:

You can just ruin apn settings and days won't work

Yes you can do this as well

..but then MMS pictures message will not work on their phones

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

No unfortunately. And to send picture text it's not counted towards the data. If data is zero as long as mobile data is turned on you still would be able to send MMS..

Why not get the plans you were thinking and in renewal day each 30 days...ask for their phone and run the data to zero??

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

You can just ruin apn settings and data won't work.

You can go with 15 plan without autopay, no data then

If overcharge is the worry, don't worry you can't get over your limit and get charged

Need Help? Let's chat.