cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot validate my SIM card and buy a plan

robweir
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been messing around with trying to get a SIM card I just purchased and it says it is 'invalid'.  I have tried several times and never got to the end.  Once I got everything in and it came back with an 'OOPs' remark that was not at all helpful.  How can I just get my service setup?  I have a brand new SIM card that just arrived.  I am swithching my current # from Koodo and would like to retain it.

12 REPLIES 12

Try login into your account with the original credentials when you were activating sim

If it doesn't work since you got an error message you may have to set it up

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/self-registration/ 

Are you setup for autopay? You should already have $2 on your balance.

If you used your referral someone's today or tomorrow you will get $10.

If your new sim is working and old SIM doesn't then yes.

If your old sim works then port is still going on

Can you receive both texts and calls to the new sim?

Once port is completed your old account is shut down

Welcome on board

@robweir wrote:

Quick update!

I put the SIM into my wife's phone and it is activated.  Does that mean that the old provider has released my old number and I can now cancel my old plan?

Robert

Nothing else needed now. Your old plan WAS cancelled by you porting out.

AE_Collector

Seems to happen very often that you get an error code even though the sim is activated. So, instead of checking that it is working people start over and then are getting different error codes because the activated SIM card can't be reused.

As mentioned, if it was Koodo Prepaid a moderator will have to finish it up for you but Koodo Postpaid is okay. 

Though your battery is toast your phone is still working, right? Plugged into charger it should be good. I think you need to be able to revive a text to the phone to set up your self serve account. I guess putting the sim in your wife's phone will accomplish that. 

AE_Collector

robweir

Quick update!

I put the SIM into my wife's phone and it is activated.  Does that mean that the old provider has released my old number and I can now cancel my old plan?

Robert

robweir

Hi kselmak

The charge is pending on my card but has not been processed.  I can use my wife's phone to check and see if the card has been activated. The Database I mentioned was Public Mobiles backend information.  I assumed it was dynamic and that all entered information was put directly into their system instantaneously and you have assured that is the case.  I thought that a partial transaction may have been rejected and hungup somehow.  The contacts are no problem.

I will attempt to use my SIM card and then get back...

Robert

Hi Robert

To minimize the headache you can transfer number right after you open the account.

Can you check if the card was charged?

Can you borrow a phone while you wait for your battery just to check that your service is working properly?

Which database are you asking about? If you are using Google you can keep all your contacts on your Google account so even if you switch phones you will have access to them.

Once you activate your account should be functional instantly. You can get new number on it every 30 days or you can transfer your old number any time. While you are transferring your old SIM will still be working, your new sim will work too you will be able to call text and use data, only people will not be able to call you on it until your old provider releases your number to public mobile. Once your old SIM stops working, that means the transfer is complete.

Very important: keep your old service active otherwise the old provider will refuse the transfer.

Also don't forget to use your friend's referral code, if you don't have one you can ask people here via private message or find online places like craigslist it kijiji

Welcome to public mobile:)

robweir

I do have another issue which is my Cell Phone is out of commission.  I am awaiting a new battery but I do want to continue using the same number as it has now.  In order to continue the retention of my number, I thought I would switch now.  How long should it take to populate the Database, or whatever?  I had everything entered and it choked ,with an 'Oops' message and little else.

I did manage to enter three of 4 pages and then nothing.  Is the data entry 'real time' or 'delayed time'?  I did create the additional 'signup' for the community and that appears to be working OK.  I have setup an account previously for my wife and it works fine. 

I could wait (possibly 2 or 3 weeks) until I get my replacement battery, but I would rather get it out of the way now.  How can I re-enter my information and get a plan where my SIM card will not work?

Thanks...

Robert

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@robweir if it is Koodo prepaid,  activate the SIM with a temporary cell phone number,  set up your self service account,  then follow @dabr 's advice and contact a moderator to port. This allows you to test the SIM card.  And it gives you a safety net in case something goes wrong with the port.  Welcome to PM. 

@robweir wrote:

I have been messing around with trying to get a SIM card I just purchased and it says it is 'invalid'.  I have tried several times and never got to the end.  Once I got everything in and it came back with an 'OOPs' remark that was not at all helpful.  How can I just get my service setup?  I have a brand new SIM card that just arrived.  I am swithching my current # from Koodo and would like to retain it.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@robweir  It's possible that your sim had been activated even though you got the error. Insert the sim in your phone and see if it connects to the network. If yes, then try accessing selfserve. If you can't then click here to register your selfserve account.

If your sim does not connect to PM'S network the as suggested try again once the session lock expires.

If you are still having difficultly then submit a ticket for help.

To submit a ticket to the Moderator Team, please start a conversation with the Public's virtual assistant, SIMon by clicking the icon below:

s.JPG

If you are still having problems contacting Public Mobile then click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire
To minimise the things that can go wrong use Incognito mode, take temp number you can test service before porting
You may have to wait for an hour if your SIM got locked in a session
Welcome to pm

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@robweir wrote:

PM's website can be glitchy.  Too many attempts will lock you out for an hour.  Wait one hour before retrying.  Clear your cache/cookies and use a different browser with incognito/private mode. 

@robweir  Is your koodo prepaid or postpaid?  Prepaid Koodo requires moderators help to complete activation.  Here is the link to moderators for prepaid Koodo: https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

Type in your issue, select contact us/moderators, then submit ticket when these options appear and follow the rest of the prompts to finish.

Need Help? Let's chat.