cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't activate my new card

irinami
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

I can't activate my new card. I've used different browsers (Chrome, Opera, Mozilla, Explorer). I've turned off adblocks filters. However, every time when I try to register my new card I see the same: "Invalid Sim".

What should I do?

11 REPLIES 11

Kristy2017

Depends on the provider I guess, mine was with telus

GreaseMonkey
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Actually it happened to me.

Wait one hour and try again. it worked for me.

I used Mozilla firfox.

@Kristy2017 wrote:

I had the same issue turns out my phone was locked by the previous provider, the law is that providers cannot lock phones anymore but this phone was active before this law, just call the provider and give them the IMEI and they will unlock it for you, usually takes a couple hours after its unlocked then restart your phone and it should work!

Just in case a locked phone is an issue here, what's been stated above isn't entirely true, at least not for all providers. With a couple of phones we've had here, locked to Rogers, I had to contact them, at which point they provided an unlock code. I'm also currently using a phone that was previously locked to Koodo, and it was the same thing with that, i.e. I called Koodo, and they provided me with an unlock code. In all instances, what was necessary, was to install a SIM for a different provider than the phone was originally locked to, at which point an on-screen prompt pops up, asking for the appropriate unlock code. All that is to say, that not all providers will unlock the phone for you, and will simply provide you with a code for YOU to do the unlock procedure yourself.

As it turned out, with the phone I'm currently using, the unlock procedure turned out to be a little more convoluted, and I had to find the pertinent info on the 'net.... the Koodo rep(s) I talked to didn't know anything about how to unlock this phone, other than providing the unlock code.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@irinami  Use Chrome with javascript and cookies enabled preferably on a desktop/laptop.

Where did you get the sim from? Hopefully it wasn't previously been activated.

Kristy2017

I had the same issue turns out my phone was locked by the previous provider, the law is that providers cannot lock phones anymore but this phone was active before this law, just call the provider and give them the IMEI and they will unlock it for you, usually takes a couple hours after its unlocked then restart your phone and it should work!

@irinami wrote:

Thank you for the explanation. I've just put the card in my phone. I can't make a call. But how can I find out if any services are available? On the activation webpage my sim is still marked as 'invalid'.

a) The best approach for now is to wait a couple of hours, then try again to activate from the beginning using a new incognito window in your browser (Chrome is optimum). If you get the message "Invalid SIM" again then you do seem to have a defective SIM and should return it. 

b) While you are waiting, check your credit card for any charges. If it has been charged then your account has been partial created and you will need moderator assistance. 

To get a ticket click https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/ and enter your question into SIMon.  Follow/invent prompts until you get to the Contact Us button, click it and a Submit Ticket button should appear.

c) If you cannot see Public Mobile on the phone with the SIM installed, then you have no PM services available. To be ceratin, reboot your phone with the PM SIM installed and see what message is displayed. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

irinami

Thank you. I will try.

@irinami wrote:

Thank you for the explanation. I've just put the card in my phone. I can't make a call. But how can I find out if any services are available? On the activation webpage my sim is still marked as 'invalid'.

Wait 1 hour from last time you tried activation webpage. So system can remove the lock.

After one hour try the activation. If it still says invalid open a ticket via SIMon the chat bot for moderators assistance.

Simon.JPG

irinami

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

The invalid sim message that you continue to receive is because the system locks the sim for 50 minutes. So wait an hour and try again.

In the interim have you checked to see if you were charged for your plan...or did you try putting your sim card in the phone and see if you have any service?  Sometimes the sim actually does get activated so do try putting sim in phone to see.

If nothing wait one hour before trying to register sim.

JQ100

Hmm...sounds like something is wrong with your SIM card. Contact Public Mobile if it doesn't work.

Need Help? Let's chat.