cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I called my cell phone from my home phone but it tells me my the call is long distance.

phubley
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I called my cell phone from my home phone but it tells me my call is long distance. They both have the same area code and are both in the same apartment. I don't understand. I used another cell phone to call my PM cell phone and got the same 'this is a long distance call'. Need advice...

9 REPLIES 9

@phubley wrote:

I called my cell phone from my home phone but it tells me my call is long distance. They both have the same area code anpd are both in the same apartment. I don't understand. I used another cell phone to call my PM cell phone and got the same 'this is a long distance call'. Need advice...

As will13am was saying, it's the outgoing call carrier that determines if a call is long distance. I don't see this as a Public Mobile issue.  In fact, Public Mobile cannot change the city that a specific phone number belongs to.

If you tell us area code and the first three digits after the area code of the Public number, CNAC's website can be used to tell you what city your Public Mobile phone number belongs to.

I see that you said that it just looks like a misunderstanding, but what did you end up doing to fix this?  Did you change your Public Mobile phone number to make it a local call from your home phone? Also, remember that it is possible for a call from one area code to another area code to still be local in some cases.

phubley
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My bad. I'm not sure why I thought (or just assumed) my area code on this PM phone was the same as on my other cell phone and home phone. I used my PM phone to call my home phone and the phone number displayed on my home phone showed a different area code. Poof, problem solved. Everything working as it shoild now. This senior obviously has much to learn about cell phones. Thank you all for your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@phubley wrote:

I called my cell phone from my home phone but it tells me my call is long distance. They both have the same area code and are both in the same apartment. I don't understand. I used another cell phone to call my PM cell phone and got the same 'this is a long distance call'. Need advice...

Back in the day (imagine squeaky old man voice 🙂 ) long distance was decided by distance. (still is for real copper landlines) You got a number that was designated to be in a certain prefix area. I grew up in what is referred to as the Lower Mainland of BC. To call just a town or so over to another prefix or two away would be long distance. Same area code. Not even 36km. iirc in my case even like 20km.

Now with cell phones and unlimited "long distance", the area code and prefix barely matter anymore. But they still do if calling from a landline. If you managed to get a cell number with the same area code and prefix as your landline then that landline call wouldn't be long distance.

Edit: as for your other cell phone test...that you probably need the 1 in front.

I'm in Ontario, the home of almost way too many area codes.  I don't know the number, but in my 'area code' 226, it's the same as the 519, and then 548.

For me, if I call from my 226-922 number to a 519-753 number, it's a 'local call'.  If I can from my 226-922 number to 519-651, it's a long distance call, yet still in the same province, so I don't get charged for it, as my plan is 'Province Wide'.

The difference here is, the 519-753 is in the same city as I'm calling from (physical and telephone number based), and the 519-651 is based in a different city 36 km away.

If I were in that city, rather than my own, my call would be local, 226-922 to the 519-651.  

Your cell phone is local calling to anything within the geographic area that is a local landline call.  Always.

Is your cell number from the same calling area as your landline?  Having the same area code doesn't ensure its a local call.

emad
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Have you tried to call your cell using 10 digits number (area code + cell phone number)?

@GreatCanadian wrote:

Perhaps it is long distance. In Newfoundland, all area codes are 709. But not all calls are local.

GC

Public Mobile calling plans are province wide calling as a minimum.  This issue is rather interesting.  The originating party for the call is the one responsible for paying long distance charges if applicable.  In the simplest terms, it is the 10 digit number that is used to determine the type of call, not where the parties are physically located.  Arguably, Public Mobile does not have a dog in the race in the determination and assessment of long distance charges for the party making the call.  It would interesting to see how this one plays out. 

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Perhaps it is long distance. In Newfoundland, all area codes are 709. But not all calls are local.

GC

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If that doesn't work then you may need to contact a moderator.

Moderator can be reached at 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Is your account new ?  Have you tried calling from your cell to home to see if it is long distance ?  Was your phone number ported ?

Try the lost phone trick to reset your account.

To report your phone stolen.  Login to your account.  Choose Plans and Add-onstab. Then choose Lost/Stolen Phone tab.  The choose Suspend Service tab.  Logout.  Wait few minutes.  Login in and report your phone found.  

Need Help? Let's chat.