cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am getting very poor range in the basement. Any help ?

kamalsingla
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just switched from Freedom to Public Mobile. Haven't tried it outside much yet. But facing connection issues in the basement. When checking the coverage map it shows strong network area. Any suggestions. Freedom was having full range in the basement. But it was poor in data speed and very fluctuating.

9 REPLIES 9

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

At my work place, Freedom has for as long as I can remember the best signal strength.  However, signal strength does not equate to good network performance.  It is the reason why I left Wind before the change over to the Freedom brand.  The major brands don't have very good signal in the building but the network performance is a lot better than Freedom.  Of course, this doesn't apply when the signal is too low to be picked up.  We have so many visitors that get the rude awakening at the elevator lobby when they see their phone disconnect. 

kamalsingla

I am using LG G4

dmbcanada
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
kamalsingla did you have good reception in your basement with Freedom Mobile?    I have a

Samsung Galaxy J3 and it has reception issues not matter where I am, so could be phone related if you have always had the issue.

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My guess is that Freedom has a closer cell tower to your apartment than Public Mobile.  If you can find a sweet spot where your phone works well in the apartment, leave the phone there.  Get yourself a bluetooth phone system like this one,  https://www.staples.ca/en/VTech-DS6611-2-2-Handset-Connect-to-Cell-Cordless-System/product_1075854_1... and once connected to the phone, you can make calls anywhere in the apartment.  For data, get a cheap phone or tablet, and wifi teather to the phone. 

Effort

I wouldn't worry about reception unless you're getting dropped calls or data not working. I personally have 1 bar of 4G at home but it's consistently at the max throttled 3Mbit speeds. When I'm outside, it more or less shows full bars unless I'm in the subway where I get no reception at all.

Calls on Public Mobile are 3G. It's quite a bit easier to get full bars on 3G.

EdmondY

Bad reception as in one bar or no service?  I get one bar in my home but if I place a call, it goes up to like three or so as it switches to a band that allows me to connect better to the network.

If it's no service, does your phone have access to low frequency bands?  If it doesn't, that might be your issue.  What's your phone model?

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@kamalsinglaSome places bellus has better reception, some places rogers has better reception, some places (sadly to say freedom has better reception)

Bell/Telus covers 22.53% of Ontario

Rogers covers 20.59% of Ontario

Freedom covers 1.72% of Ontario

You can buy a mobile cellular booster if you save enough money being with public mobile.

The Fusion4Home 3.0™ Yagi / Panel cell phone signal booster increases voice, text and 4G LTE signal strength in a small home or office up to 4,000 sq ft for all Canadian carriers, including Bell, Rogers, SaskTel and Telus.

https://www.surecall.com/CA/signal-booster/cat/bell/

Download this app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.telus.tneapp&hl=en_CA

It's the "TELUS Network Experience" app. You can post feedback regarding your area, it will send a bunch of technical information to Telus and may in the future be improved.

kamalsingla

Its not very deep. Just 6-7 steps down the ground.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kamalsingla - Re: I am getting very poor range in the basement. Any help ?

How deep is your basement?!

Cell phones don't work very well in elevators and parking garages and well underground.

Need Help? Let's chat.