cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to switch to PM

JasonZA
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have my own phone and am with a competitor for service only (talktime and data). What now?

1. Do I first order my PM SIM for $10?
  2. Then, can I port my current number over to PM?
  3. Do I only start paying for the PM service once I port and activate?
  4. Do I pay pro rata if service activates some time during the month?

Thanks,

9 REPLIES 9

mdpilgrim
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Not aware of such a promotion...the SIM card is only $10 and very simple to activate.  I ordered the SIM card, received it within 5 working days.  I then called the mobile company that I was with at the time and asked them to unlock my phone, it didn't cost anything because my contract was up with them, and from there is was just to insert the SIM card and go from there.  Very easy.

MandyJ
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kselmak wrote:

@Alireja wrote:

@JasonZA If I remember correctly, SIM card is free if you activate in-store(ie in London Drugs or Walmart)

Really?? I remember they had a promo couple of weekends ago, I think the promo expired at the end of that weekend. Did something change? I can't find info anywhere

Even when there isn't a promo, you might be lucky and get a free SIM card with activation at a store. I've read many accounts of people getting free SIM cards during instore activations. There wasn't a promo happening when my dad and I activated our Public Mobile accounts at Walmart, but they still gave us the SIM cards for free, which was a nice surprise that we weren't expecting. I've seen comments in both directions though on the boards. I think it depends on where you go, when you go, who is working that day... 

@Alireja wrote:

@JasonZA If I remember correctly, SIM card is free if you activate in-store(ie in London Drugs or Walmart)

There is currently no such advertised official Public Mobile promotion offering that. 

Stores might do their own promotions, but if they aren't advertising it, they really don't have to provide the sim card for free.

@Alireja wrote:

Really?? I remember they had a promo couple of weekends ago, I think the promo expired at the end of that weekend. Did something change? I can't find info anywhere

Alireja
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

MandyJ
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JasonZA wrote:

I have my own phone and am with a competitor for service only (talktime and data). What now?

Thanks,

1. You can choose to order your SIM card online for $10, but you can also buy one in store. There's a store locator on this site that can direct you to a location close by that sell them.

Buy SIM online: https://store.publicmobile.ca/cart

Find a store: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator

Depending on how comfortable you are at activating your service, you may prefer to buy online and set it up yourself, or do what I did and go to a store to have them help you set it up. I went to Walmart, because I didn't really know what I was doing and they had me all set up and running before I was even out of the store. It probably took about 30 minutes from start to finish and they even gave me a free SIM card with my activation (though it's hit or miss if certain places give the SIM cards for free, based on what I've read in these forums.)

2. You can certainly port your current number over to PM. Just make sure you don't cancel your other service before joining PM. I think if you cancel your other service first, you lose your number. When I did my activation, the lady at Walmart ported my number with ease.

3. You will be charged right away for the SIM card if you purchase it online, and then charged the cost of your plan when you activate your account. Obviously if you go to a store and they give you a free SIM card, then you will only be charged the cost of the plan at activation time. If you sign up for AutoPay, you'll get an automatic $2 credit in your account, and $2 off each subsequent renewal.

4. Because all plans are prepaid, there is no pro rata for starting mid month. Your renewal date will simply be 30 days after you activate. Unless you choose a 90 day plan, then it will be 90 days until your next renewal.

Now, depending on how fast you were hoping to switch over, you may want to keep your eye out for promotions to help you get a little bonus for switching. You might luck out and get something extra like a bonus data add-on or a monetary credit added to your account for a select number of months. To get these promotions typically require you to sign up at a certain value plan, however, ie. like $25+ or something.

Hope this clears things up for you 🙂

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@JasonZA 

1)Yes,you needs pay$10.

2)Yes,you can .

3)Yes,you just pay once.

4)No.

bornmodem
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello! 

Yes, you can order online, or click the "get started" tab to see which places near your location sell PM sim cards. Places like Wal-mart and London Drugs, as well as various other places carry them. 

2. Yes, you can carry your current number over to PM as long as you don't cancel your current provider first.

3. Yes, you can start paying after switching and activating your sim card. 

4. No pro rata.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JasonZA wrote:

Thanks,

Right up there on the top of this page...Get Started.

Acquire SIM. Activate and pay up front for account using SIM #. Check that everything works as expected. Port #.

No pro rating. All pre-paid.

Need Help? Let's chat.