cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prevent port in? I want to keep my number.

pb71
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I requested a number to be ported into Public Mobile from another carrier, but I have changed my mind.  I want to keep my current Public Mobile number and not port the number in from the other carrier; I want that number to stay with the other carrier.  I sent a private message to the MODERATOR_TEAM on Jan 7th asking them to abort the process on January 7th, but they have not responded.  I have also disputed the port with the loosing carrier.  Is there anything else I can do to prevent this port in so I get to keep my existing Public Mobile number?

8 REPLIES 8

@popping

@BarryS

No number porting is not automated

There is a team who manually processes this

Probably all Koodo employees but they exist

@SkimGuy

You can even "un-do" a port after it has completed

But often you would lose an older legacy plan if this happened

Better to stop it BEFORE it ports over

SkimGuy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Nice, how long after you cancelled did you get a response? Just in case someone else is in the same situation

pb71
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I successfully disputed the port by contacting the losing carrier. The number was not ported.

Fyi

I went through something similar with Bell (new) and Rogers (old carrier).

I had buyer's remorse and was still in the period to return all and go back to Rogers.  Cancelled my Bell first, but should have returned to Rogers to make it easier... but as my number was (and still will) returned to the Rogers pool, I got it back somewhat quickly.

Good luck.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@pb71, what is the sending carrier?  How long has it been since the port was submitted.  With the moderator response time being up to 72 hours, their ability to intercept a port even if possible would be untimely.  Sometimes failure = success.  If it has been around 2 hours and your port is from a wireless carrier, then the port likely failed. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@pb71

Number porting is automated.  As soon as it starts, it cannot be stopped.

Is your old SIM card still working?

If yes, contact your previous provider to ask them not to release your number to PM.

Moderator response time is 3 days 

BarryS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@pb71 I beleive once the process has started, there is no turning back.  If your previous carrier has already ported the number to PM, your account with them will be closed. Unless your request to the moderators was caught early enough in the process and they were able to cancel it, I think it's a done deal.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

You should contact the company you were with before and ask that they cancel the port.

If it does go through and your number is changed you can request a new number and enter in the one you recieved when you joined PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.