cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: How to maximize 3G speeds?

@Heasarc 

If you need to download something larger I guess you could disable LTE to have it done faster.

But I wouldn't disable LTE, it's nice and smooth, 3g feels sometimes like it has hand crank starter

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@DinoFlint 

Each plan has the same speed. It's pretty much as good as telus (modulo volte)

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Heasarc wrote:

Hey guys,

I just signed up for PM and I read something on reddit about how there are techniques to optimize our 3G speeds. One that was mentioned is that if you turn off LTE on your phone and switch it to 3G, it will actually improve speeds. Does this work?

If there are also any other ways to optimize, please let me know.

FYI not complaining about 3G at all, very aware that I signed up for it (haven't even gotten to test it out yet), just want to make sure I'm making the best use of PM as I can. 

Thanks!

Yes the theory is if you connect to 3G network, you will get higher speeds.

Please do not perform speed tests for the first couple of days as it takes 2 days after activation for the throttled 4G speed (3 Mbps) to kick in.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

If phone is set to LTE the speed is throttled to 3Mb. If the phone is set to 3G there is no throttling of the data speed. 3G is technically capable of something like 12 or 16 Mb I think but you would rarely see those speeds. But maybe in a good location you might see higher speed than the throttled LTE. Just pulling the numbers out of thin air but the premise is correct I believe.

AE_Collector

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I’ve had 0 issues just leaving it on LTE when I’m browsing or grabbing apps on the go.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just a note that if you live in a neighborhood that is more "isolated" due to terrain (I'm in Coquitlam, Metro Vancouver area), you may get a better signal on 3G vs LTE. 

On my iPhone, if I force it to use 3G I get a consistent 3 bars of reception in my house. If I use LTE I only get 2 bars at best. Anyone else have the same experience? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Heasarc wrote:

Hey guys,

I just signed up for PM and I read something on reddit about how there are techniques to optimize our 3G speeds. One that was mentioned is that if you turn off LTE on your phone and switch it to 3G, it will actually improve speeds. Does this work?

If there are also any other ways to optimize, please let me know.

FYI not complaining about 3G at all, very aware that I signed up for it (haven't even gotten to test it out yet), just want to make sure I'm making the best use of PM as I can. 

Thanks!

I saw something about it being faster if you switch off LTE and stay on 3G, so I tried it.  I actually found it to be a slower and kinda laggier, so I switched back to having LTE on.  Perhaps just for downloading stuff you can get a bit faster speed, but for typical internet surfing etc. I found it to not be a good idea to keep it on the 3G.