cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get back my very very very old phone number?

Banane12
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello everyone,

I had a phone number two years ago from Bell. I ported it to a different provider back then and canceled later on.

Now, after two years, I am interested in getting it back. This can not be ported since it has not been active. I dialed the number and it says "the phone number is not in service" which is good. It is available. So, how do I do this?

I am sure I can go to Bell and ask them to give me the specific number I am asking but I am wondering if this can be done with PM.

In other words, can I choose the 10 digit phone number I want with PM?

8 REPLIES 8

@kav2001c 

Thanks for the detail. I am able to understand a reasonable amount of it from the landline switching side of the PSTN. But I never had much to do with cellular at all. My go to guy for info and good friend in TELUS Mobility passed away at less than 60 years old almost 5 years ago now. 

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector 

Its not a call forward, its an overlay

Your MDN (Mobile Dialed Number) is your phone number in the sense that that is the number people dial to call you, this is the number that you can port from carrier to carrier.

The MSID (Mobile Station ID) sometimes still called a MIN (Mobile Identification Number) is carrier specific. This is the number that is in carrier's routing tables that tell the switch how to route your calls and how other switches find you and send calls to you. This number has to change if you switch carriers.

The MSID was necessary and created simply because of WLNP. Now that WPLP allows us to take our number with us from carrier to carrier, something had to be done to identify a subscriber as belonging to a specific carrier. The method of doing that in the past was the MIN (think of it as the MDN and MSID mushed together). All the infrastructure for call routing from carrier to carrier was already in using that 10 digit number (routing was/is based on the first 6 digits aka "NPA-NXX"). Each carrier was given/owned NPA-NXXs in blocks of 10,000 that was theirs alone (ex 555-555-0000 through 555-555-9999), and there was/is a database called the LERG that identified who owned every single NPA-NXX in the country along with the point code of their switch (like an IP address for phone calls). Every carrier would use that database to setup routing tables in their switch that allow both calls between carriers and roaming. The breakup of the MIN into two 10 digit numbers allowed the existing system to work with only small sofware and procedural changes to that system. MSID takes over the routing duties, and MDN takes the dialing duties, both of which used to belong to the MIN.

It is now becoming more and more common for MDNs and MSIDs to be different not only because of WLNP, but also because of number pooling. When carriers request more numbers to sell (MDNs), they must now do it in increments of 1,000 instead of the 10,000 it used to be, except I think, in certain situations. And even then with the pool of numbers you receive, your MDNs and MSIDs often don't match. Both numbers are equally important to complete calls.

Hmmm, I'm no expert on porting but I don't believe it works like a call forward to your actual number. It could potential be in use on some service set to not allow incoming calls and giving the NIS recording... but not likely. If it was a Bell number they got it back. You could possibly get it by activating on Bell but would then have to port that to PM if that is what you want.

JMHO.... AE_Collector

Normally a ported number will snap back to original owner

Just as an FYI @Banane12 , the "not in service" does NOT mean your number has not been used already

The MDN and MSID do not have to match (eg with a ported number)

In other words, someone else activates your number

Then they port their number from another carrier (Public, Fido whatever) OVER top of your Bell number

So if you dial your number it will say not in service despite the fact it is actually being used

It also is possible it was not provision for voice calling if someone is using it in an M2M or other device as data only

@Banane12  @geopublic  has the best suggestion for getting your old number back.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Banane12  If you originally got that number from Bell then it's part of Bell's number pool. If there is any chance to get it back you would have to call them explain that you want your number back and if it's available then you would have to open an account with them. Once you have your number back then you can port in back to Public if you wish.

Good luck!!

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Banane12 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I had a phone number two years ago from Bell. I ported it to a different provider back then and canceled later on.

Now, after two years, I am interested in getting it back. This can not be ported since it has not been active. I dialed the number and it says "the phone number is not in service" which is good. It is available. So, how do I do this?

I am sure I can go to Bell and ask them to give me the specific number I am asking but I am wondering if this can be done with PM.

In other words, can I choose the 10 digit phone number I want with PM?

Probly nothing PM can do for you. Check with Bell to see if the number is still in their pool..then you can port out of PM to a cheap Bell plan and get it if it's still available. Come back to PM later. Costly, but it might work if it's that important to you.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It's very unlikely you will be able to get your old Bell phone number back. I don't know if phone numbers are tied to providers, but if you can reactivate with Bell on the desired number, then you can port it to Public Mobile.

You cannot choose your own 10 digital number, although there is a list of numbers available and you can change the last 4 digits.

Goodluck

Need Help? Let's chat.