cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable voicemail (no greeting message)

cks
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Apparently, a lot of us don’t like or use voicemail(vm). My verified workaround does not trigger the vm system at all, so the caller only hears ringing until they hang up, I pick up, or the call times out (after “x” number of rings). This is achieved by nullifying/providing an erroneous number on your call forwarding:

1. Open the phone app
  2. Click on the 3-dot menu button or the 3-line menu button
  3. Go to “Settings” or “Call settings”
  4. Then “Call forwarding”
  5. You will see multiple options:
    1. Always forward: (Disable)
    2. When busy: (Forward to +1416)
    3. When unanswered: (Forward to +1416)
    4. When unreachable: (Forward to +1416)
  6. Save changes.

TL;DR: remove all the numbers on your call forwarding except the area code.

Sharing is caring, good health, cheers!

7 REPLIES 7

@popping 

Wow more interesting ways to use fongo and pm together. I just installed fongo so I'll have to take the time to use your work around ....eventually. I think my learning cup overflowing today time to sit back and soak it all up.

@cks 

You never know what comes out of a thread....they are  all worthy!

@Anonymous 

Penny is for telemarketers, scammers and spoofers!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@cks 

Using an incomplete phone number will work.

I don't like calling to listen my voicemail sequentially.

Configured my phone to call forward when busy, unanswered and unreachable to my Fongo number.  I configure my Fongo account to send the voice file to my email inbox.  I called it poor-man visual voicemail.  I don't have to listen to my voice files sequentially.  I can listen to those important message from important number first and listen to other message when I have spare time.  If I don't delete my email in my inbox, l can listen to it again if I want vs PM keeps the voicemail for only number of days.

I also use the Fongo number as the fax machine for incoming fax.  Fongo email my fax pdf file to my inbox.  All these service for $0.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cks 

I also don't like this solution. The caller will get an error and then wonder if the number is still in service.

@Nezgar has written extensively about this too. I think he calls some system he uses Lenny.

I would rather some setting to let the phone ring until the caller gets bored. But it seems it can only go for 30 seconds or about 6 rings. After that then whatever. Error out, Lenny what's it pickle, forward to a voip number whatever. But only 6 rings. Say you put the phone down somewhere. It rings. You don't hear it. You happen to move within earshot of the phone and oh hey it's ringing. You answer and you just won a cruise. 🙂 But it kept ringing. But no.

@cks  It's all good. Thanks again for sharing.

Fyi if I recall correctly, the call forwarding trick to replace your voicemail number might not work on some phone models.

cks

@LovesToPM The post solution is different, but you are right, what I suggested was indeed mentioned by @skmkenn further down the post.

Mods, please delete my post if possible. Thanks. 

cks

@LovesToPM The post solution is different, but you are right, what I suggested was indeed mentioned by @skmkenn further down the post.

Mods, please delete my post if possible. Thanks. 

Need Help? Let's chat.