cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Avoid Losing my Phone Number?

funpig
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am new to PM after 27 years with Telus.  So far, I am very happy with the price, features and cell service.

I have ported over my phone number.  Having had this number for 27 years, I would be upset if I lost this number.

I am on autopay.  But what happens if I am not on autopay or if my credit card expired and my PM 30 day plan lapses without a renewal?  Will my phone number be cancelled? Can I retain my number by fixing credit card issue or just paying?

Also, what would happen if i fail to renew and the current $25 talk/text/1GB data plan is no longer being offered at the time. Will mymplan still be grandfathered in my account so that I can just pay up and resume my previous service or am I out of luck and just have to pick from the new plans?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

@funpig wrote:

Thanks, but how do I keep extra money in the account?  I read about vouchers.  However, if I buy a $25 voucher and put it into my account it would get used up on renewal that I would have to buy another $25 voucher and deposit it into the account. This seems like more trouble than it's worth. I'm just going to have to trust that my credit card doesn't get messed up.

And what do you mean about not changing to a new plan on the same day when the old plan expires?

In order to eliminate upsets during the renewal process, I use the credit card that's on my file and manually load $$ equal to what my monthly plan costs are. I do this a couple of days ahead of time and so far...so good. I can tell how much I have by logging into My Account and seeing Available Funds.

Good luck and welcome to Public Mobile.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@funpig wrote:

Thanks, but how do I keep extra money in the account?  I read about vouchers.  However, if I buy a $25 voucher and put it into my account it would get used up on renewal that I would have to buy another $25 voucher and deposit it into the account. This seems like more trouble than it's worth. I'm just going to have to trust that my credit card doesn't get messed up.

And what do you mean about not changing to a new plan on the same day when the old plan expires?

This PM community forum is the support forum for PM subscriber.  Subscribers usually will not post any message if everything is working.  It is scary to see the same issue reported over and over.  I have 3 accounts on autopay.  Two of them are almost 1 years old.  I did not have any autopay issue.  It you are worry about it, you can add fund to your account a day before renewal date.  You don't need to purchase topup voucher.  Just use your autopay credit card to add fund to your account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@funpig wrote:

I would put it more like that sometimes there are issues down-grading ones plan having set it up for future change and using autopay.

Having Available Funds and downgrading doesn't seem to be a problem.

@funpigYou can add money to your account by making a one time payment https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/payment/Make-a-Payment/
using your credit card. You don't need to use vouchers if you want.

It is to prevent service interruption if your autopay fails. Majority of the problem on this forum is autopay failing, then your cell service will be disabled until you get it working again (often needing moderators involvement).

Another potential failure point is if you change plans on renewal date, the system can go haywire and you could end up with no service until you get Moderators involved. Apparently this often happens more often when you choose a cheaper plan than your current one. I chalk all off these to the Public Mobile "experience".

funpig
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@funpigThere has to be 90 days of inactivity before Public erases your account / number. So autopay has to fail multiple months before your worse case scenario to happen. However I do advice keeping a month's payment in your account for uninterrupted service, also don't change your plan automatically on renew date. It is stupid, but it is what it is.

However keep your account passwords, account number unique and secure.. people can "port out" your number without your consent if they know those information.

If the plan is "retired" you can keep on using the plan, until you change then the old plan is gone forever. However my experience so far is Public Mobile's new deals seems to offer more things.

Need Help? Let's chat.