Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much is long distance?

bjhiwvhwipviwhj
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I can't find a chart anywhere that says how much long distance calls cost

21 REPLIES 21

@bjhiwvhwipviwhj, It's been this way since I joined in 2016, which is after Telus took over the business of Public Mobile.  Unfortunately, they don't have what you're looking for.

bjhiwvhwipviwhj

Texting is not calling. I don't understand why they limit which countries we're allowed to call, but whatever. Live and learn.

@bjhiwvhwipviwhj, well, you can text globally, however calling is limited to the 18 listed earlier.

bjhiwvhwipviwhj

I'm on the $40 plan. I need to be able to call globally.

Where is it you're trying to call?  What plan are you on?

@bjhiwvhwipviwhjhopefully you will find the right fit Smiley Happy

bjhiwvhwipviwhj

I thought I'd try Public Mobile because I understand that it has a better network. I didnt realize that it didnt come with long distance dialing -- I take it as a given that my provider will let me dial long distance.

Obviously I was mistaken. Perhaps, to your point, I shouldn't be with Public Mobile. Time will tell.

Freedom Mobile has great packages if you're covered by their coverage, but the Public Mobile coverage is better within Canada than Freedom has currently.  For me, Public Mobile is the as you classify so-called Premium provider.

I do not call long distance other than in my province.  I can use Hangouts to call the US and the rest of Canada without extra cost.  I used to have a VoIP set up if I wanted to call overseas at $0.009/minute.

Find the provider that works for you.  Don't expect to get everything from one place.

bjhiwvhwipviwhj

@RossN wrote:

@bjhiwvhwipviwhj  hi yes and PM doesn't come with the premium price eitherSmiley Happy

Freedom was actually cheaper than Public Mobile. 

@bjhiwvhwipviwhj  hi yes and PM doesn't come with the premium price eitherSmiley Happy

bjhiwvhwipviwhj

I came over from Freedom Mobile. What I mean is that when I was on Freedom, I just dialed, got long distance. Didn't have to buy packages or third party cards from 7-11. I consider having to supplement with cards from 7-11 pretty ghetto... It's not like Freedom Mobile is a premium provider.

@bjhiwvhwipviwhj wrote:

What if I want to call a country thats not in that list?

@bjhiwvhwipviwhj  I use Google Hangouts dialer. Calls to anywhere in North America are free. If you register your cell number it gets displayed when calling. For other LD countries just add funds and make the call. Hangouts Dialer can be used on WiFi so it doesn't use call minutes.

@bjhiwvhwipviwhj wrote:

Thanks. I just switched over to Public Mobile -- I didnt realize this was the case. Kinda ghetto and very inconvenient.

Not sure what you mean by ghetto. You go to 7-11 get a card, phone in to activate that card...then make calls. I've used them in the past and they're not too bad once they're activated.

Some of the other lower tier cell providers have long distance calling to other countries but you'll have to do the research on that.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

bjhiwvhwipviwhj

Thanks. I just switched over to Public Mobile -- I didnt realize this was the case. Kinda ghetto and very inconvenient.

@bjhiwvhwipviwhj wrote:

You can get a long distance calling card at your local 7-11, Mac's, ...many retailers have them to lots of countries. Ask the salesman for a card to the country you're interested in calling.

Good luck.

bjhiwvhwipviwhj

@bjhiwvhwipviwhj wrote:

In addition to the other options mentioned for calling other countries (all long distance add-on can also be used to call across Canada, someone subscribing to a province-wide calling plqn could also purchase an add-on that includes 500 Canada-wide minutes for $5.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@bjhiwvhwipviwhj wrote:

@bjhiwvhwipviwhj  Public Mobile does not charge LD by the call. You need to buy a LD add-on that gives you 400 International Long Distance minutes for $15.00

Included countries: Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.

Edit: Works out to $ 0.0375 a minute. Note if the country you want to call is not on the list do not buy the add-on.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@bjhiwvhwipviwhj 

You will need to buy a long distance add on.  Only covers 18 countries.  

400 International Long Distance minutes   for  $15

Included countries: Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@bjhiwvhwipviwhj long distance to where?

Need Help? Let's chat.