cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much data do you use going from zero data to 4Gb?

Thomasrs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just changed to public mobile and  went from 100mb basically no data to 4.5Gb. How much do you use, and what is the main draw? 

Just looking to see if most people undershoot the large limit.

15 REPLIES 15

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

I have a 500 MB limit and I use less than 5 MB a month. With there being public wifi pretty much everywhere, I rarely have a need to use my data. In fact, there have been months gone by that I didn't turn on my data at all (oddly enough despite all background data use being disabled, I still managed to use about 1.2 MB of data during those months!)

With that said, this month I decided to use some data while walking alone in the woods, both to enjoy some music and to make noise to scare off any would-be predators. Listening to three songs (whatever default quality it played at) burned through about 125 MB of data. So I can see it being very easy to burn through a lot of data in a short amount of time.

Store your own music on the device or SD card in it and still manage to not use data (when predators abound 🙂 ).

Ha! Not a bad idea. I don't have SD capability in this wonderous old piece of technology (Original LG G Flex) but I do have internal storage I could put music on. One of the songs I opted to listen to wouldn't likely have found its way to my phone because it isn't one of my favourite songs by Weird Al, but oddly I felt like listening to Nature Trail to Hell after I had been hit by a very short, very heavy, rainfall.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Psygineer wrote:

I have a 500 MB limit and I use less than 5 MB a month. With there being public wifi pretty much everywhere, I rarely have a need to use my data. In fact, there have been months gone by that I didn't turn on my data at all (oddly enough despite all background data use being disabled, I still managed to use about 1.2 MB of data during those months!)

With that said, this month I decided to use some data while walking alone in the woods, both to enjoy some music and to make noise to scare off any would-be predators. Listening to three songs (whatever default quality it played at) burned through about 125 MB of data. So I can see it being very easy to burn through a lot of data in a short amount of time.

Store your own music on the device or SD card in it and still manage to not use data (when predators abound 🙂 ).

Psygineer

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I use around 3GB every month.  I don't watch videos much otherwise there's no amount of data that's sufficient.  I don't believe in future proofing by buying way more than I need.  I insure against those things I cannot afford to replace.  If it came down to needing a bit more data every now and then I would go the add-on route.

Pound
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Before I joined Public Mobile, I had 1GB monthly on a post-paid plan. I was constantly on the alert because the overage is very costly. So I allowed data access on only 2 or 3 low data consumption apps, in addition to emails of course. I dared not to use cell data even for Google News, or Spotify (free version), not to mention online video streamings. 

As a result, I only used about 1/3 of that 1GB allotment each month. It really works your nerve. Use it = overage; don't use it = waste. 

Now I have 4.5GB at 3G speed. At least I don't constantly worry about overages anymore. And I pay less than before. How about that!

CalgaryBen

Most users will probably stay close to their usage habits/patterns unless there's a dramatic change... for example I couldn't see my usage going up above 1GB/mo unless I started riding public transit (for example) and would find myself needing to stream music/videos while commuting.  Even if I "try" to use more data, I'd really have to change habits to make a big change.

Back when I was "testing the waters" with Freedom, I even had a 10GB plan (because I could), but had a hard time chewing up even 3-4GB, despite turning on a hotspot and having my 3 kids stream YouTube off it during car rides!  (Could very well be that the Freedom service was spotty and unreliable!)

@Thomasrs, unlimited data, whether full speed or throttled would be wasted on me.  The only reason I’m still on a 4ish GB/monthish package is because it’s the same price I started with at Public Mobile when I start prior to the Fall 2016 Promo.  This was a cost savings for me to switch to Public Mobile when I finally found them, after trying to save money by using Wind ( now Freedom) compared to Rogers befor that.

My package is now double the data, same calling (as of tomorrow morning) and more destinations texting and mms, than I had with either Rogers or Wind, and my usage stays an average of 2 GB/month(ish).

I have so called future proofed each of my plan changes since joining here, and I’m still on a plan that is $40 or less per 30-day or $120/9.

I personally find it easier to download the music for stream services, as using data access drains the battery faster than using locally stored media.  My charging brick is a heavy beast, and the less I need to carry it around, the better.

Thomasrs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So if data was unlimited would you still stay around 3-5 gb per month?

CalgaryBen

I think it's pretty hard to get a unified answer, but you'll basically have 2 camps of users going from small to the biggish data plan:

• I'm generally in WiFi areas most of the time when I'm doing heavy internet stuff, so more data won't make a difference to me.  But I'll get the data as a safety net, just in case.
  • Well, now that I've got more data, I'd may as well use it.  I feel obligated to use it.  I'll use it just because I can.  There's WiFi?  Bah... too much hassel... I'll just stick to cellular data because it's paid for!  And the kids need WiFi?  Sure, I can open up a hotspot!

Obviously these don't cover all use cases (e.g. need for data due to change in work, circumstances, etc.), but for anyone who can live with 100-500 MB/month, I imagine this would probably describe the usage pattern after switching.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I came from 6GB with Telus. I sat down and analyzed all my usage and found that my actual handset usage (as opposed to hotspot) maybe hit maybe 400MB one month in 2017. So I came here and went for the 500MB option. My next renewal I'm going down to the minimum $10 (see that will13am? 🙂 ) and using add-ons. I'll have to be careful with what I text (I wish there was an add-on) but otherwise I really don't use my phone all that much anymore which is why I moved to PM in the first place.

I've entertained the Koodo $15 that has unlimited texting and using add-ons but again I barely use my phone anymore. So I save another $5.

And now again...like the site promotional stuff says...$0 with rewards 🙂 (except for add-ons).

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I'm 31 days into my 90-day cycle and the meter says I've used 0.39 GB out of 12 available. I've been on the Fall 2016 promo for nearly two years and my data usage has not grown significantly in that time.  Obviously, the bigger data package of the Koodo migration offer is no incentive for me. 

I've generally used about 2 GB/30 days, on the Fall 2016 Promo, or 6 GB/90 days.

I'm switching to the $40 4.5 GB plan, as it's the same cost, but throttled LTE instead of full speed LTE.  Where I live, work, and play doesn't get full speed most of the time, so I won't notice the difference in speed.

The $40 30-day payment is easier than the $120 90-day payment.

I would stay otherwise, on my 12 GB plan over 90 days.

Note:  I once went to 5GB in the first 30 day period of the 90.  Having the expanded length of time with the large data bucket helped.  I used 8 GB of 12 that cycle.

EDIT: Forgot to answer the second part of your question.  Here goes...

I stream local radio via Tune-In when my wired headphones aren't connected.  When connected, I use the built-in FM Radio (this is new to me on my LG q6).  I stream Spotify occasionally, however, I normally download playlists for offline use using WiFi at home.  I watch very few videos out and about, leaving that for WiFi access also.

I do photo uploads on WiFi, Facebook random postings and reading other's posts while on a break at work or when I'm just sitting at a coffee shop without WiFi access.  Email, the Fit app tracking my steps and cycling activity - mostly just GPS readings which are not data.  Sometimes use the navigation to find a place I haven't been before, or to give me estimated arrival times 🙂

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Thomasrs wrote:

Just changed to public mobile and  went from 100mb basically no data to 4.5Gb. How much do you use, and what is the main draw? 

Just looking to see if most people undershoot the large limit.

I have 12GB over 90 days and usually use 50-75% each cycle.  I am just checking email, social media, not a whole lot of youtube or anything like that.  This is why I can't be drawn to the Koodo offers I don't use all that I have now so more doesn't appeal to me.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

hxj140
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have a 6 GB plan with Koodo and I use very little data and that's because I limit my data use to email, browsing the internet, maps, and MMS.

I live and work in Toronto with lots of free wi-fi all around which keeps my data usage to under a gig each month.

I used to have 100 MB on Bell and really had to watch my usage because Bell's overage charges are sky-high.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

it all depends on what you do.  do you watch cute kittens on youtube or just check email

\my mom used teh 1gb addon + teh 25$ (talk and text plan) and it lasted her almost a year.

I have teh 4.5 gb and use aboyt 3gb month.  otheres need want the 8gb...  its is noce to have a little extra but i dont see teh need to for an 8gb plan if i dont need it.

Need Help? Let's chat.