cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to port a number

rmniemela
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was out of town and saw the promotion for Feb 2-3 so I purchased the plan in Bradford Ontario. I asked to have my current number with Koodo transfered to Public Mobile. That was around 1 pm on Saturday. My phone is working with the temporary number they gave me, but my old number is not yet transferred. The guy I dealt with said the lady he was talking with said that their systems were really busy and it would take a bit longer to port things over. So it's Monday now. Still no transfer. What do I do?

I can't go back to the Walmart where I bought it. It's 4 hours away.

24 REPLIES 24

@Greg1275 wrote:

Mostly all US carriers run on CDMA. With the exceptions of AT&T and t-mobile, they run on GSM Just like Telus, Koodo and public mobile. Therefore you shouldn’t have any problems porting a phone number from at&t or T-Mobile over to public. Here’s a website that can help port phone numbers aswell https://telnyx.com/solutions/number-porting?utm_source=ppc&utm_medium=adwords&utm_campaign=fastport-...

A different company cannot get a number ported to Public Mobile.  Only Public Mobile can arrange a number to be ported to Public Mobile. 

@Ladycass05The problem is the OP and everyone involved will get notifications on issues that they probably don't want to deal with anymore. I am glad you are eager, but please stick with problems that are recent.

Greg1275
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Ladycass05

Well you would certainly hope so. Considering the post is still visible it’s helpful to others having the same issues 

@Ladycass05  The thread was 4 months ago.. I am sure the OP has resolved the issue by now.

Ladycass05

Not AT&T, it’s Koodo and PC Mobile. That’s what I’ve read. Just google “can you bring your own phone number to Public Mobile”. The answer is “If you want to keep your existing number, choose the second option to transfer (or port) over. For Koodo or PC Mobile users, Public Mobile says you need to choose a new number first, then contact them to manually complete the port. All you do is enter in yourexisting phone number, then click “Check Eligibility”.” 

And YES , AT&T is a large American provider. 

rmniemela

It's not AT&T. I distinctly remember the exception to the 2 hours as being Kodoo and PC Mobile. As per getting involved, the guy at Walmart basically tried to sell me to go with Virgin Mobile first and kept at it even though I told him no several times, he wasn't aware of the Feb 2-3 deal, and I had to bring it up for him on my phone to show him, then he had to go check in the back to make sure it was valid, and then he proceeded to do everything for me without even telling me what he was doing. I had to correct him a few times with some of the fields he was filling in, and then at one point, I said, did you remember about the referral, and he said oh we're beyond that. I told him that I had told him I wanted to do a referral, did he not remember? He just looked at me like I head a hole in the head. So then he asked about it to the activation lady on the other end of the line and then told me that I could do it after the fact in Community. I'm not sure I trust his answer. I wasn't pleased that he treated me like I was a dummy. Young guy who obviously thought he knew it all. Anyways.... I've asked the question to the moderator account about the referral. 

I had my previous SIM card in the phone today because I didn't want to miss any messages or phone calls during the business day, and just got home and noticed that my phone said emergency calls only. So I put the new SIM card in just now and everything is now working. Guess everything was in the system, it just took 2 days to process.

@Dankaroo wrote:

I recall in the activation process that At&T and Koodo both are special cases when it comes to porting.

AT&T?   I'm going to assume that you mean Rogers because of they used to brand themselves.

To my knowledge, it's only Koodo that is mentuoned, with the website telling you that you need to contact customer service.

I also believe that it's only Koodo prepaid that can't ported over from within Public's self-serve system.

Dankaroo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@stonechucker Now I'm wondering if I mixed it up with Telus. Sadly cannot reconfirm on change number menu. Clause only appeared after activation of new sim when setting the first number.

@Dankaroo AT&T is an American company, and porting from an American company to Public Mobile is not available.

AT&T, along with T-Mobile, are US Roaming partners of Public Mobile.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dankaroo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dankaroo wrote:

I recall in the activation process that At&T and Koodo both are special cases when it comes to porting.

AT&T? I don't think you can port from an international carrier. I would be surprised if the porting page said anything about them. But nor do I know what all is on those porting pages.

I know not if it's a new quote as I am a new joiner to both service and community, however I specifically recall a clause mentioning both AT&T and Koodo on the number selection step of registration. It was at the top of the page if porting a old number option is dotted.

Interesting. Thanks for your recollection. Can anybody else remember seeing some mention of AT&T?

Dankaroo

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dankaroo wrote:

AT&T? I don't think you can port from an international carrier. I would be surprised if the porting page said anything about them. But nor do I know what all is on those porting pages.

I know not if it's a new quote as I am a new joiner to both service and community, however I specifically recall a clause mentioning both AT&T and Koodo on the number selection step of registration. It was at the top of the page if porting a old number option is dotted.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dankaroo wrote:

Dankaroo

To answer the title question, site claims porting is a 2 hour process, community claims it can take up to 5 hours, anything longer should prompt a quick message to a moderator which has up to a 72hour turn around. (Should be quicker on business days). For me it took an hour and a phone reboot. 

Not to undermine the Walmart employees but in the future I recommend getting as involved as you can with the activation/management process yourself, it may or may not be faster but at least you are doing it yourself and as a result are less likely to have errors, forget your chosen pin or account details, etc.

Moderator Private Message link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rmniemela wrote:

Shoot. I already sent the PM and included the phone numbers that were affected but didn't include the PIN. Doesn't look like you can edit a PM. Should I send another message?

There's some kind of system now. I haven't actually read here if it's actually being successfully used though. You're in the queue.

rmniemela

Shoot. I already sent the PM and included the phone numbers that were affected but didn't include the PIN. Doesn't look like you can edit a PM. Should I send another message?

rmniemela

BTW, I can retroactively add a referral. The guy at Walmart said I could do that through Community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rmniemela

Was it Koodo prepaid or post-paid?

I would be interested to know if retailers can port Koodo prepaid. If not then yes I guess you'll need to contact the moderators here. While you have them you can also ask them to set up your referral that the retailer overlooked.

Send ONE (1) private message to them here and include your phone number and PIN to minimize back and forth identity verification delays.
Forget your PIN? Then you'll need 3 of either of these pieces of information you used when you signed up: full address, birthdate, last 4 digits of CC you might have used, email address on the account, alternative phone number you might've entered when you signed up. Or, in addition, either of these to get to 3: last payment amount and date, last add-on bought and date.
And of course your question/problem.
Then hopefully they will get back to you as soon as they can between M-F 9-9 (ET) and Sat-Sun 9-7:30 (ET). But it could be up to a couple days.
Depending on your notification settings, you would get an email notifying you of a reply. Get back here and see a red blob over the little envelope in the upper right of your screen and click on it to see the message.

rmniemela

I didn't talk to Koodo. The Walmart guy where I purchased the plan called someone (don't know who) to port the number and the lady he spoke too told him it would be longer than usual. Have no idea who that lady was or who they worked for. All I know is that I wasn't impressed because the Walmart guy rushed through things and forgot to record my request to record a referral. And it's now 2 days later and my old number still hasn't been ported. I will do a PM to see what happens.

@Alex888, nothing in the OP states they were talking to Koodo.  The OP activated a PM plan and asked for a Koodo number to be ported in.  It's most likely a prepaid number if it's taking this long, which requires Moderator assistance anyways.

@stonechuckerhe stated that he already spok to Koodo and they told him they hadn't tried to port it yet, if they still haven't then the problem is on their end, not PM's.

@rmniemela, do not contact Koodo, they are not responsible for getting the port to work.  You will need to send a private message (the envelope in the upper right corner) to the Moderator_Team address, advising that your port is stuck.  THe will contact you with questions for security purposes, and get you on your way.

@Alex888, please stop giving incorrect information.

rmniemela

So I should call Koodo?

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

If Koodo says they still haven't ported the number then you should speak to them again. It usually shouldn't take more than a business day. If you already signed up for the Feb 2-3 deal then you will get it reguardless of when your number ports through.

Need Help? Let's chat.