cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long should I wait to port-in number that I just ported-out?

Ukrop
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi!

I had a number with PM. In order to get new bonus offer (extra 2GB) I decided to create new account and port my existing number.

So I got new SIM card and created new account with new email and new number.

Then I got Lucky Mobile SIM and activated account with them.

Then I ported out my original PM number to Lucky successfully (now I can't login into my original PM account)

The problem: when I login into my new PM account and try to port-in number from Lucky, I press CHECK ELEGIBILITY button but no result shows up...

Do I need to wait for some time for PM system to "flush" information about my original number? Because technically it's Lucky's number now...

Thanks!

28 REPLIES 28

@shahestates  interesting find.  

I believe there is cost to the temporary plan some how, so , the benefit gained  from this short "space tourism" 🙂  must be big and long term enough to outweigh the cost. 

@shahestates 

I will double check but a day pass is like an add on. You need an active plan for a day pass.

shahestates

@darlicious wrote:

@hTideGnow 

That's why you should always have a spare SIM card on hand. Better yet have a spare virgin SIM card on hand. Currently $1 on CCS I bought a lucky SIM for $0.10 and a virgin SIM card for $0.25. It would be better to activate with virgin's $25 per month postpaid plan. Port out by day two prorated less than $2 w/tax.

Cost : $5 pm sim card+$1 virgin sim card+$2 prorated plan=$8 - $10 referral credit= +$2 

I did some research and found out this is the best option for porting out and in purpose:

Use this plan to save even more:

CHATR

Day Pass for Talk & Text Plans $2

Plan details

Unlimited Canada-wide Talk

Canada-wide Talk applies to calls placed anywhere in Canada to another Canadian phone number.

Unlimited Text to Canada, US & International

Unlimited Text applies to text, picture and video messaging to Canada, US and international mobile phone numbers. Premium messages (international alerts, content-related messages and promotions) are excluded. Picture and video messaging applies only when included in your monthly plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

but is it worth it to save $5 a month?

@darlicious : Says she with the multitude of ways to save a buck with points and rewards and Kelloggs gift cards etc. 🙂

@shahestates 

That was public mobile....they eliminated the $10 50/50 plan in October 2019. Opening a post paid  accountbdoes not affect your credit score. Not paying it will. But a device contract with a post paid contract is a different story. 

If you have no rewards other than autopay it might be worth your while to port out and back in again but is it worth it to save $5 a month? If you look historically at plans and their included data buckets and pm in particular their have been price drops and  increased data plans. Give it another 6 months or a year and chances are there will be an equivalent plan on offer that is also available for current customers to subscribe to as well.

shahestates

So which mobile company offers the cheapest prepaid account for this porting purpose?

I guess some company had a $10 plan a while ago but I cant find it anymore now.

@shahestates wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@hTideGnow 

That's why you should always have a spare SIM card on hand. Better yet have a spare virgin SIM card on hand. Currently $1 on CCS I bought a lucky SIM for $0.10 and a virgin SIM card for $0.25. It would be better to activate with virgin's $25 per month postpaid plan. Port out by day two prorated less than $2 w/tax.

Cost : $5 pm sim card+$1 virgin sim card+$2 prorated plan=$8 - $10 referral credit= +$2 

Yes, but doesn't it trigger your Credit bureau points dropped if you start a post paid account with Virgin?

Virgin Mobile also offers prepsid accounts and plans if a credit check is a concern, although that would cause there to be no prorated refund from Virgin.

shahestates

@darlicious wrote:

@hTideGnow 

Yes, but doesn't it trigger your Credit bureau points dropped if you start a post paid account with Virgin?

@hTideGnow 

not bad.. I guess I should stock up PM SIM if i see  $5 again.

Ukrop

@hTideGnow Correct - in less then 10 hours

@Ukrop great work and great experiment for all of us.  So, you have been gone and come back in less than 48 hours?

Ukrop

@cellphoneuser1 @esjliv 

Thanks guys! Yes, I contacted CSA but it was early night 🙂 Closer to the morning I got reply that transfer was initiated. I got text from Lucky to confirm transfer and in 5 minutes I got my number back on new PM SIM.

So my process was like this (using old phone for all SIM swapping):

1. Buy Lucky SIM in Dollarama $4+tax

2. Buy PM SIM (Cell booth in Real Canadian Superstore) $10+tax

3. Create new account with PM (I simply used my gmail with + symbol and PM 🙂 using new SIM and assign new number. Use Friend refferal for $10 (which makes SIM basically free) and BONUS code during activation

4. Create new account with Lucky and request number transfer from original PM account, choose cheapest plan - $15

5. Add $15 into Lucky account to make account active

6. Get text from PM on original number to confirm port-out to Lucky

7. Confirm Lucky SIM got assigned original PM number - send/receive texts, calls

8. Try to request port-in in NEW PM account - in my case system didn't like my number

9. Create ticket with CSA for port-in request to NEW PM account

10. Got private message from CSA to provide Lucky account number and IMEI to start port-in request - info provided

11. Got text on Lucky SIM to confirm port-out request

12. Five minutes later my PM SIM got assigned my original number

The obvious cost is 4.52+1.13+16.95=22.60 (for Ontario)

Then whatever was left in original PM account - in my case it was around $10.

Yes, you loose all your loyalty and friend refferal bonuses. This was account for my daughter (that's why keeping number was important for her 🙂 So she didn't have too much in bonuses.

Hope it will help someone

Anonymous
Not applicable

@t_p : The 2GBBONUS promo is for non-store activations. I look at this promo as a $5 savings off the $40 plan. The $40 is less per gb and yet lower but same price per gb for the $50 and $70 plans...all with the promo.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Ukrop

"I bought Lucky SIM in Dollarama for $4+tax. Yes, bought new PM SIM for $10+tax but will get $10 back since I used refferal code from family member. Lucky plan is $15+tax but I read I should get prorated amount back once I cancel it. Will let know once it's over. I still think it's worth it - 5GB for $35 instead of 2GB for $30 currently..."

Have you considered the services of Canadian Cell Supplies for your scheme?

At the very least, you'd have saved the price of the SIM and there is also discount for various plans (e.g. $5 on the first month of $25 plan, $8 for the $35 plan...).

And by letting them do the porting, you'd save a lot of headaches.

@Ukrop wrote:

Ok, site is back online. But I still can't make a request to port-in... Any suggestions from mods?

@Ukrop 

Yes, you are a good case study for many other members who asked or discussed about doing this. 🙂

Try a totally different device (if you can) to request the port, under "Change Number" area under your Public Mobile Self Serve.

If still having problems, and If SIMon bot is causing you issues, you can also request the port through this link:  Private Message to Public Mobile Customer Support Agents (CSA)

It seems to me that if your Community account matches when you created your first PM account, that means you lost those years of loyalty? Too bad, but hopefully, this all works out beneficial to you in the long run.

@Ukrop wrote:

Ok, site is back online. But I still can't make a request to port-in... Any suggestions from mods?

You can port back whenever you want. The site doesn't let you so you need a CSA (customer support agent). Click the chat icon in bottom right and type "port request".

Ukrop

Ukrop

@Anonymous Looks like I crashed the site 🙂

Site temporarily unavailable for maintenance. Please try again later.

And yes - you were right, Lucky doesn't refund pre-paid amount...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ukrop : Oh yes I just had a look. nvm. But still try those browser ideas.

Ukrop

@Anonymous I read redflagdeals forum and people suggested this route as least painful 🙂

Here is the first thing Pm asks for changing number:

Select a new phone number
Transfer a wireless or wireline number from another provider

Transferring a Koodo Prepaid or PC Mobile number? To complete your port-in request, please reach out to our Customer Support Agents here

Check to see if your phone number is eligible:
Phone Number: *                            CHECK ELIGIBILITY

I enter my number, press button, wheel turning and... nothing. Maybe it's Lucky's end that is not updated yet...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ukrop : It's an interesting thing you're trying. It's been suggested on occasion but no one seems to have taken it up. I would think you should be able to do it as soon as the number transfers and confirmed and closed and working on the new provider.

What about calling out?

I'm not so sure Lucky will pro-rate you upon leaving but I'm not delving in to their policies.

I'd keep trying.

I'd try another browser too. Or try incognito/privacy mode or clear cache/site cookies. I'm not sure you really need to use that eligibility thing. Obviously it should work as the number was once here. Is it a required step?

Ukrop
@Anonymous I timed the transfer closer to my end-of-cycle date. Yes, my Lucky account is active - I receive calls and send/receive texts. I can't login into my old PM account - I assume it's closed, right? So now I'm waiting for PM system to "flush" it out, I guess...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hTideGnow : My guess is at least $64. Lucky has a $15 plan. They sell SIM's at Dollarama for $4. Then another $10 for the PM SIM (cheaper at a few places). Then the $35 or higher plan. And depending on how much value was left in the old PM term could be some lost value there.

@Ukrop : So did you wait for the PM account to close and confirm the transfer and the Lucky was fully active?

Ukrop

I bought Lucky SIM in Dollarama for $4+tax. Yes, bought new PM SIM for $10+tax but will get $10 back since I used refferal code from family member. Lucky plan is $15+tax but I read I should get prorated amount back once I cancel it. Will let know once it's over. I still think it's worth it - 5GB for $35 instead of 2GB for $30 currently...

@Ukrop yes, at the very least, wait till next morning.   From my observation  I think PM system is a bit outdated,  I don't think their different systems have much real-time sync.  Very likely it is a night job for the activation  sever to sync up with the current PM phone # list and hence the activation server still think you are here.  

Do come back and let us know how it goes.

So, you managed to get Lucky SIM for free?  How about PM SIM?  I don't think you can get it free.  How much is the total "investment" for this project?

Ukrop

Thanks!

I did it couple hours ago 🙂 I guess I'll try again in the morning...

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

You should be able to port in really quick.   

How long you have ported out?  Maybe wait a full 48 to 72 hours.  Probably the backend system not sync yet.   Worst case,  open ticket with CSA and port it that way

Need Help? Let's chat.