cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does porting take?

aztec
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I just (1 hr ago) ported my number over from Chatr to PM. I can make local calls but can't local receive calls. I signed up for the $20/30 days plan. no add-ons

is this normal?

how long does it normally take for the porting to complete?

is there anything further I/PM needs to do in the meantime?

14 REPLIES 14

superbaby52

me it took about 45 mins...

Cannuck
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Follow up: The store contacted customer service and they did something on their end.

But one thing that I had to do was reset the network settings:

settings -> general -> reset -> reset network settings

I am not sure if that will help. Good luck.

Cannuck

I am having the exact issue (Ottawa). I signed up with an iPhone 7 (mine, IMEI verified) last night (August 16th, around 7:30pm) at a store.

Incomming goes straight to voice mail and same message as you for outgoing. 

The store is looking into it. If it takes 2 days for LNP they should tell the consumer.

I will post what I learn.

sadfish

I just ported from Freedom. My old SIM stopped working but my PM SIM is getting forwarded to VM for incomming, and telling me I do not have a long distance add on for outgoing.

I cannot receive or send Texts.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Awesome. Porting is like watching a pot to boil.  Typically I try to do them at night and then go to bed. If it's working when I get up great if not I message mods.:)

aztec

thank you, it's working now.

popping

@computergeek541 wrote:

Complicating matters is the fact that Chatr does not make the account number easily available.  To do this, I still believe that the account number (and only the account number) is the best piece of account information to provide to increase the chances of a flawless number porting process.   If after a few hours incoming calls are not working when using your Public Mobile sim card, I would contact Chatr and ask for the account number.  It isn't available through any other method other than asking customer service for it.  Having the Chatr account number, if you don't already have it, will help greatly should the moderators need to re-request your phone number to be transfered.

You are correct about the Chatr account number.

@aztec, Did you call Chatr to get your account number?  Chatr online does not give you your account number.  

BoatyMcBoatface

For me, porting took maybe 1hr.

I did my port at Walmart so maybe their systems had higher priority then regular customer service portals

Complicating matters is the fact that Chatr does not make the account number easily available.  To do this, I still believe that the account number (and only the account number) is the best piece of account information to provide to increase the chances of a flawless number porting process.   If after a few hours incoming calls are not working when using your Public Mobile sim card, I would contact Chatr and ask for the account number.  It isn't available through any other method other than asking customer service for it.  Having the Chatr account number, if you don't already have it, will help greatly should the moderators need to re-request your phone number to be transfered.

popping

@aztec

It is hard to say how long it will take tofully port your number over to PM.  It depends on Chatr right now.  It took about 30 minutes to port my number to PM.

For the time being, you can use the Chatr SIM to receive call and text messages until it is no long works.  Then, use yoiur PM SIM card.  It should be fully ported to PM when your Chatr SIM is no longer working.

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Varies in the amount of time. I also ported from Chatr roughly 3 weeks ago and when I did the transfer, it took roughly 2 hours before everything was done. It has been known to take up to 24 hours but if nothing past that point, you may have a stuck port. In which case, you would want to contact a moderator. But in the mean time, just be patient that the problem usually would resolve itself.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@aztec, ports from Rogers and affiliates take in the order of 1-2 hours to complete.  The best way forward is to continue to use the old service as a proxy of when the port completes.  If you use the Public Mobile service in advance of the port completing, you will need to reboot the phone from time to time to check when the port is completed. 

mimmo

Welcome. It can take a couple hours cell, 48 land lines. The important thing is that the name you provided and the account number were correct.

Your old sim should still work till the port completes. If you have a spare phone I would have both sims in phones. If it's longer than a couple hours message mods with your porting info or if your chatr number no longrl works. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@aztec It can take upto 48 hours to complete. Just be patient and wait. You will know when your chatr sim stops working. 

Need Help? Let's chat.