cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to port a number?

Goku
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello all,

I am wanting to sign up for PM service... just curious though, how long does it take to port a number? Would it be a good idea to start this process at a time when I am not expecting an important call....i.e., does it take a long time?

Thanks in advanced.

21 REPLIES 21

Jukebox
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@saskriderHi normally around 2 hours but wait up to 24 before contacting moderators

here is a headache free guide on porting by db519

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/The-Guide-to-Headache-Free-PM-Signup/...

saskrider

Looks like mine got stuck I can send messages and call others but if someone calls it is going to voicemail directly. Tried contacting moderator and submit ticket but it says error in submitting ticket. Any other way to solve this issue?

murtaza404

According to PM activation the port might take between 20 minutes to 2 hours. However you can call with your number but when some one calls your number, it will go to Voicemail due to the porting being in process.

8BitGoodness

Super simple, just ported two accounts from Virgin Mobile. From the time I clicked CHANGE NUMBER in the Public Mobile portal to the text messages confirming complete was 18 minutes.

tqtrinh

I know this is an old post but I can confirm that my porting succeed with flying colors!

In no less than a few minutes my number was ported from Telus (paid plan) to Public Mobile, only had to restart my phone to have my number updated in the About section of my phone.

mdlny8

Just finished painlessly porting my number. Took only 30 minutes or so. Ensure to correctly give all infos required. Then shut off the phone for a few minutes. Upon restarting it shows the ported number is now active on PM SIM card. It's that easy!

frankmobilepm

In my case, it took around 5 hours to get number ported to PM from Speakout.

frankmobilepm

@MarieHelene_LThanks Marie. Sent PM to you as it stuck for more than 4 hours now.

MarieHelene_L
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@frankmobilepm

If all the information required to submit the port is entered correctly in the request, it usually takes between 30 minutes and 3 hours for a port to complete!

If it's been more than 3 hours and you can send text and place calls but still can't receive anything, that would mean your port got stuck. In that case, please send me a private message with your Public Mobile SIM card number, the number you would like to port + your Speakout account number. 

If it's been less than 3 hours since you sent the port request, then simply wait to receive a text that will inform you when the port has successfully went through. At that moment, you can reboot your phone and everything should be back to normal 🙂

Welcome to the Public Mobile family! 

Marie

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, PIN etc... This is a public forum!*

frankmobilepm

@Marcel_BI had exactly issue as you, wondering has the PM resolved your issue and how?

frankmobilepm

Any one has the idea of how long it will take to port a number from Speakout to PM.

@Marcel_B wrote:

I registered last night and I'm still waiting. I can call, email and text but can't receive anything.

Out of curiosity I reinstalled my previous SIM card and the service is still 100% active. I can call, email, text and receive everything as well.

What's going on?

That's just the way porting works.  Specific to Telus-branded companies, the phone number that you request to port in is immediately assigned to your account, even though porting is not yet finished.  Some other carriers don't actually take that step until porting is done.  Service is supposed to remain active on your old sim until the porting is complete.

if things still aren't done, folow the advice given above to contact a Public Mobile moderator. 

@Marcel_B  This is an older thread, and on my screen the time stamp on your post says "yesterday"... Has your problem been solved?

If not, it looks like your port is stuck. You should send a private message to one of the community moderators.

To help them help you faster you should include all relevant information (your PM account number, phone number you want to port, account and PIN numbers at your previous provider - make sure that you keep that account alive, it will automatically be closed by the previous provider once the port is complete)

Good luck!

My screen shows "yesterday" as time stamp for your message - has your port been completed in the meantime, @Marcel_B?

If not, it looks like your port is stuck. You should contact a community moderator by private message, adding all relevant information (your PM account number, phone number you want to port, account number at previous provider - keep it active, it will automatically be closed once the port is completed, your original PIN with the previous provider) so that the mods can start working on your issue right away.

Not sure how to contact a mod? Please click here.

Good luck!

Marcel_B

I registered last night and I'm still waiting. I can call, email and text but can't receive anything.

Out of curiosity I reinstalled my previous SIM card and the service is still 100% active. I can call, email, text and receive everything as well.

What's going on?

Lukedurward

I just changed mine over from Koodo in about 30s from the time I hit submit

@mli Good to know. This is why I usually say a person should wait 3-4 hours before getting worried about the port.

mli

Just as a reference, I activated a new sim card and ported an existing number from another prepaid service (Petro Canada Mobility), it took about 3 hours, was a bit worried, but all worked out in the end! Smiley Happy

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I've ported a couple of mobile numbers from Wind. One took longer because of a problem with my account on Wind. It took about an hour. The other number ported over in the time it took me to complete the setup process on the PM website and put the SIM into the phone and boot it up. That was about 10 minutes.

Just make sure that the account you are porting FROM does not have any problems like outstanding balances, disputes, or pending charges. The carrier you are porting from will usually not allow the port if they think you owe them money.

VOIP numbers also can take alot longer to port. Left that out.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Cell phone usually takes an hour or less to port. Landline is much tougher and can take 48 hours (business days only, so if port starts Friday night it can go into Tues)

Usually Public says give them a day to make sure before you have any issues.

Need Help? Let's chat.