cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to make a call after SIM activation

pmacc778
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I bought a SIM card from LD and activated it online 12 hours ago. Right now, my phone is still searching for the network, i.e. PM is still not available for me to receive call or call out.

How long does it take for the SIM to start functioning after activation?

29 REPLIES 29

pmacc778

@computergeek541 wrote:

@pmacc778 wrote:

Thank you all for trying to help. 

This is a new number. The phone is an unlocked iPhone4s which I use as an emergency phone. 

I remember that it took 12 hours for the SIM card starting functioning when I did that last year. I thought everything would be faster now.

Let me try to restart the phone again.

Public Mobile's sim card should start immedaitely after activating it. There should not be any delay.  If you can, try it in a different phone.

However, looking through the few pages of this message thread, I am surprised that no one has mentioned that with an iPhone 4s, you absolutely must connect your phone to iTunes using a USB cable to your computer and the other end to your phone before the Public Mobile sim card will work. A factory reset was was mentioned as a possibility and after that, you would have had to connect to iTunes regardless, but the actual factory reset is not actually required unless such a factory reset has not yet been done since unlocking the device.

When you change sim cards to a different carrier on an older Apple device such as an iPhone 4s, you must connect to iTunes to conncect to the activation server. The server then checks if that carrier is allowed to be used on that phone.

As I was saying, a factory reset would be required if it has never been done since unlocking the phone.  The next time you connect to iTunes after that, it would give some message such as "Congratulations. Your phone is now unlocked".

The reason for needing to connect to iTunes also has to do with the old operating for this model meaning that it cannot activate without first connecting it to a computer (compared to newer iPhone devices that can do it on the device itself through celluar data).

@computergeek541 suggested the right solution. I showed this message to my nephew and he help to reinstall the phone - not sure how he did it but he told me he did a backup and restore the phone. It came back working and recognizing the SIM right away. We finally made our first call out. 

Thank @computergeek541 and everybody tried to help with reply threads in this issue. Thank you this PM community very much :).

@pmacc778 wrote:

This is a new number. The phone is an unlocked iPhone4s which I use as an emergency phone. 

I remember that it took 12 hours for the SIM card starting functioning when I did that last year. I thought everything would be faster now.

Public Mobile's sim card should start immedaitely after activating it. There should not be any delay.  If you can, try it in a different phone.

However, looking through the few pages of this message thread, I am surprised that no one has mentioned that with an iPhone 4s, you absolutely must connect your phone to iTunes using a USB cable to your computer and the other end to your phone before the Public Mobile sim card will work. A factory reset was was mentioned as a possibility and after that, you would have had to connect to iTunes regardless, but the actual factory reset is not actually required unless such a factory reset has not yet been done since unlocking the device.

When you change sim cards to a different carrier on an older Apple device such as an iPhone 4s, you must connect to iTunes to conncect to the activation server. The server then checks if that carrier is allowed to be used on that phone.

As I was saying, a factory reset would be required if it has never been done since unlocking the phone.  The next time you connect to iTunes after that, it would give some message such as "Congratulations. Your phone is now unlocked".

The reason for needing to connect to iTunes also has to do with the old operating for this model meaning that it cannot activate without first connecting it to a computer (compared to newer iPhone devices that can do it on the device itself through celluar data).

@Jonaldc wrote:

Hello pmacc778,

You may have to change your mobile network "Access Point Names" to Public Mobile.

In cases in which someone cannot connect to the network, changing/adding/editing APN setttings will not help.  You do not need accesss point settings to be correct to connect to the network, but rather only to use celluar data. As such, even with wrong APN settings, phone calls and text messaging would still be possible.

Jonaldc

Hello pmacc778,

You may have to change your mobile network "Access Point Names" to Public Mobile.

For Android:

Options>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names>Add

Then fill out the following information exactly

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com 
Proxy: Leave blank 
Port: Leave blank 
Username: Leave blank 
Password: Leave blank 
Server: Leave blank 
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc 
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18 
MMS port: 80 
MCC: 302 
MNC: 220 
Authentication type: Leave blank 
APN type: Leave blank 

For Iphone:

Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data Network

Then fill out the following information exactly

APN (Cellular Data): sp.mb.com

APN (Visual Voicemail): Leave blank 

APN (MMS): sp.mb.com

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc 
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18:80
APN (Internet Tethering): isp.mb.com

Hope this helps!

Renae

It should work Right away. You hat have to turn the phone off to reset it. 

Vetiver

It should be instantaneous as far as making phone calls but a little while longer before your data kicks. 

I sent them a mesage earlier. Hope they got it and have it fixed for me :(.

@pmacc778  Keep checking your envelope icon for a red dot. The moderator will probably need to verify your account befor they can fix it.

pmacc778

@geopublic wrote:

@pmacc778 wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

@pmacc778 wrote:

Have been trying power down/up the phone and self-serve Lost/Stolen phone but it still doesn't work :(. I sent a message to the moderator team. 

Meanwhile you can also try factory reset of the phone and installing the lastest iOS version for that phone.  That is, if your iPhone 4S is compatible with Public Mobile network.

Thanks @LovesToPM

I check my Usage and see this:

----------------------------

30/08/2019 3:07 Outgoing Call (redacted) 7785804001 All BC 0:00:06 Minutes $0.00
30/08/2019 2:55 Outgoing Call (redacted) 7785804001 All BC 0:00:05 Minutes $0.00
30/08/2019 2:33 Outgoing Call (redacted) 7785804001 All BC 0:00:06 Minutes $0.00
30/08/2019 11:20 Outgoing Call (redacted) 7785804001 All BC 0:00:08 Minutes $0.00

---------------------------

They are the time  when I tried to call that number (redacted) from another phone. What does that mean?

@pmacc778  Because you phone is not connected to the network that means that whoever is calling you is being forwarded to your voicemail.

It appears that you account has not been provisioned properly. You need to ask the moderatror to reset your account from their end to fix.

Yes, you remind me the problem I had last year with another PM SIM card. They did that last time.

Last time, London Drugs sale person helped me to activate. This time, I did it myself online. Not sure what might have gone wrong.

I sent them a mesage earlier. Hope they got it and have it fixed for me :(.

pmacc778

@LovesToPM wrote:

Those are the times you called to check your voicemail.

Is your phone working now?

No it's still not working.

I tested by calling from another phone to the number with this SIM card, I hit the voice mail. So I guess everytime the voice mail greets, there is a usage report there. 

@pmacc778 wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

@pmacc778 wrote:

Have been trying power down/up the phone and self-serve Lost/Stolen phone but it still doesn't work :(. I sent a message to the moderator team. 

Meanwhile you can also try factory reset of the phone and installing the lastest iOS version for that phone.  That is, if your iPhone 4S is compatible with Public Mobile network.

Thanks @LovesToPM

30/08/2019 3:07 Outgoing Call (redacted) 7785804001 All BC 0:00:06 Minutes $0.00
30/08/2019 2:55 Outgoing Call (redacted) 7785804001 All BC 0:00:05 Minutes $0.00
30/08/2019 2:33 Outgoing Call (redacted) 7785804001 All BC 0:00:06 Minutes $0.00
30/08/2019 11:20 Outgoing Call (redacted) 7785804001 All BC 0:00:08 Minutes $0.00

They are the time  when I tried to call that number (redacted) from another phone. What does that mean?

@pmacc778  Because you phone is not connected to the network that means that whoever is calling you is being forwarded to your voicemail.

It appears that you account has not been provisioned properly. You need to ask the moderatror to reset your account from their end to fix.

@pmacc778 wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

@pmacc778 wrote:

Thanks @LovesToPM

Those are the times you called to check your voicemail.

Is your phone working now?

pmacc778

@LovesToPM wrote:

@pmacc778 wrote:

Thanks @LovesToPM

@pmacc778 wrote:

pmacc778

@Triguy wrote:

Try to manually add a $1 payment.

Just did a $5 payment and it still doesn't work :(.

@pmacc778 wrote:

Btw which iPhone 4S model do you have?

iPhone 4s models.jpg

Try to manually add a $1 payment.

pmacc778

@maka123 wrote:

Do you know if PM is going to compete with Lucky mobile as a unlimited internet(data) 128 speed after 1gb will be off?If yes then when it is going to be announced?

I am sure Public Mobile is closely monitoring competitors.

In today's market, it seems unlimited data is all the rage.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@maka123   nobody know, it hasn't been announced!  From what I read internet at 128 you can't do anything on it anyway.  I'd just rather get a plan that covers you for the month

maka123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Do you know if PM is going to compete with Lucky mobile as a unlimited internet(data) 128 speed after 1gb will be off?If yes then when it is going to be announced?

@pmacc778 wrote:

I have restarted the phone a few times. Now I am suspending my phone service under Lost and Stolen. Maybe I should wait for a few minutes to resume the service?

You can try the lost stolen phone trick.

Logon to your Self-Serve account. Report your phone as lost/stolen. Wait 5 minutes. Report the phone as found again. Restart your phone.

If this doesn't work, you will have to contact Moderator_team. Wait time varies up to 2+ days.

pmacc778

I have restarted the phone a few times. Now I am suspending my phone service under Lost and Stolen. Maybe I should wait for a few minutes to resume the service?

DougWoodman

Being able to get a help message to the Moderator is not clear and easy for a nubbie. Thank you for providing a click on link to the Moderator email page. you were very thoughtful. Cuddos to you

GR
Mayor / Maire

If it's a new number and it doesn't work after restarting your phone and trying the lost/stolen trick you'll need to message the moderator_team 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

pmacc778

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@pmacc778 wrote:

I bought a SIM card from LD and activated it online 12 hours ago. Right now, my phone is still searching for the network, i.e. PM is still not available for me to receive call or call out.

@pmacc778  Are you porting your number from your previous provider? If yes, it's possible that the information provided was incorrect and the port was rejected. If not, then your account was not provisioned properly. Either way, you need to message the moderator team to investigate further.

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderators are available: M-F from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time and S-S from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Note: Moderator Hours are subject to change, but you can always find the current times here

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@pmacc778 wrote:

You should be having service before you left the store.

What phone are you using? Is it possible the phone is still locked with your previous provider?

If you can logon to your Self-Serve account, you can try the lost stolen phone trick.

If problem presists, you may need to contact Moderator_team.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pmacc778 wrote:

What make/model/submodel is the phone?

If dual-SIM then try other slot.

Restart phone.

Set networks to LTE and UMTS or HSDPA...not just GSM.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@pmacc778  it should be instantly unless something went wrong.  Restart your phone to see if it fixes it.   After that there's also a few tricks to try before you message the moderator_team for help.  Did you port a number or just pick a new number? 

Need Help? Let's chat.