cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is 3G service?

jeffster1970
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I was a PM customer a while back, until the Koodo $60 10GB plan came along. I know have a OnePlus 7 Pro, which has 2 SIMs. So I was debating (basically with my inner voices) the merit of hopping back on board with PM with their $38 plan ($40). But I was curious how the 3G speed is. How does it connect compared to LTE (latency), and how is it for watching non-HD video? If I am desparate for higher speed, I can us my Fido LTE (tablet plan). But if the 3G connects quickly, and is consistent in speed (apparently 3Mbps), then that might be good enough. 

When I was a PM customer, I was fairly active here, enough for an additional discount of like $5, so my bill stayed fairly low. 

Thoughts, anyone? 

16 REPLIES 16

@smp99 wrote:

I recently switched about a month ago from full LTE to PMs 3G, LTE Lite. For what I do I cannot see a difference. That includes radio streaming, spotify and some netflix. I made the switch for more data, Cda wide for same cost. There is no way a Koodo migration offer can do better than what I am paying monthly now.  

There is a difference, but it's not to the point where people would see it for most things. Who's going to get a stopwatch out to compare?   It sounds like you're happy with your choice. 

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I recently switched about a month ago from full LTE to PMs 3G, LTE Lite. For what I do I cannot see a difference. That includes radio streaming, spotify and some netflix. I made the switch for more data, Cda wide for same cost. There is no way a Koodo migration offer can do better than what I am paying monthly now.  

madhi19
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I been doing voice and text only for a while. With wifi hopping you don't notice it much anyway. Until it get dirt cheap or somebody start offering a flat rate option at reasonable price, (When hell freeze over.) you're better off just not bothering.

mojorising

Also many apps now have options to lower the quality of the video so you don't have any buffering and more importanly won't get you at a point where you are sucking up a lot of your data. So see if that option is available in apps that you have.

Sherbert
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I download Netflix and I stream music all the time I have not had any problems and I do not feel it to be slow. 

@jeffster1970, I actually activated a new 3G plan recently when I purchased the Google Pixel 3a.  I wanted to test the speeds myself.

I've decided that the speed of the throttled 3G LTE is sufficient for my needs, and if I had to, I would change to the throttled plans in the future if I required something different than my current LTE package.

Streaming HQ music was great, but I use normal quality in Spotify when using cellular data, and normally download ahead of time.  My video watching I do on a different device mostly, but I've done the odd video, and found it to be good at 1080p.

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@jeffster1970 wrote:

I was a PM customer a while back, until the Koodo $60 10GB plan came along. I know have a OnePlus 7 Pro, which has 2 SIMs. So I was debating (basically with my inner voices) the merit of hopping back on board with PM with their $38 plan ($40). But I was curious how the 3G speed is. How does it connect compared to LTE (latency), and how is it for watching non-HD video? If I am desparate for higher speed, I can us my Fido LTE (tablet plan). But if the 3G connects quickly, and is consistent in speed (apparently 3Mbps), then that might be good enough. 

When I was a PM customer, I was fairly active here, enough for an additional discount of like $5, so my bill stayed fairly low. 

Thoughts, anyone? 

Both of my kids and my wife don't complain about the speeds at all. As most have stated, "3g" speeds will run just about anything you need on your phone.

And trust me, if there was an issue, my wife would have "advised" me right away! haha

@GinYVR wrote:

@jeffster1970 Just note it is not 3G service, it is LTE service that is throttled to 3G speeds.

Yes, the LTE network is available for Public Mobile customers on "3g" plans.  Data services are also available on the DC-HSPA network (and all voice traffic is routed to this network as well).

For most people, using 3Mbps speeds on the LTE network won't prevent them from doing anything that they usually do data-wise on the phone. Even 720p/1080p video will work, although it just might take a few seconds longer before playback starts so that the video app can buffer enough content to try to ensure continuous playback.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@jeffster1970 Just note it is not 3G service, it is LTE service that is throttled to 3G speeds.

sunflowershine

@jeffster1970 It is not fast, but based on the price, it is not that bad. Try not to download during the peak hours then. 

charliejohnsone

Not bad, It is definetly not blazing fast like 4g lte but it is more than fast enough for everything besides extreme high def streaming.

JaimeLaPizza

I also think 3G works very well unless you want HD video... anyways, what is the use of HD video on a small phone screen ?

TheOldVR

3G works... either over LTE (speed limited) or on the 3G network.

It's not like Roger's 3G network that always ****.

@jeffster1970 

For most day-to-day uses, 3G data works fine.  Watching non HD videos like youtube, facetime, surfing net, google maps, etc.  

It has lte latency, capped to 3G speeds.  Some people manually set their phones to 3G and get better speeds (since not capped), but lose Lte latency.  

One warning is not to test your data speeds in the first few days of getting service since it is unthrottled speed and speedtests can use up lots of data. 

kelvarnsen

I have watched youtube on the bus with a 3g account with no real issues with respect to speed.

SmartAlecTrisha

I download movies from Netflix all the time and it downloads at a good speed. I usually download series also. When I download them all at same time it will slow it down a bit.

Need Help? Let's chat.