cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

How is 3G service?

I was a PM customer a while back, until the Koodo $60 10GB plan came along. I know have a OnePlus 7 Pro, which has 2 SIMs. So I was debating (basically with my inner voices) the merit of hopping back on board with PM with their $38 plan ($40). But I was curious how the 3G speed is. How does it connect compared to LTE (latency), and how is it for watching non-HD video? If I am desparate for higher speed, I can us my Fido LTE (tablet plan). But if the 3G connects quickly, and is consistent in speed (apparently 3Mbps), then that might be good enough. 

When I was a PM customer, I was fairly active here, enough for an additional discount of like $5, so my bill stayed fairly low. 

Thoughts, anyone? 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: How is 3G service?

@jeffster1970 

For most day-to-day uses, 3G data works fine.  Watching non HD videos like youtube, facetime, surfing net, google maps, etc.  

It has lte latency, capped to 3G speeds.  Some people manually set their phones to 3G and get better speeds (since not capped), but lose Lte latency.  

One warning is not to test your data speeds in the first few days of getting service since it is unthrottled speed and speedtests can use up lots of data. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I download movies from Netflix all the time and it downloads at a good speed. I usually download series also. When I download them all at same time it will slow it down a bit.

Highlighted

I have watched youtube on the bus with a 3g account with no real issues with respect to speed.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@jeffster1970 

For most day-to-day uses, 3G data works fine.  Watching non HD videos like youtube, facetime, surfing net, google maps, etc.  

It has lte latency, capped to 3G speeds.  Some people manually set their phones to 3G and get better speeds (since not capped), but lose Lte latency.  

One warning is not to test your data speeds in the first few days of getting service since it is unthrottled speed and speedtests can use up lots of data. 

View solution in original post

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

3G works... either over LTE (speed limited) or on the 3G network.

It's not like Roger's 3G network that always ****.

Highlighted

I also think 3G works very well unless you want HD video... anyways, what is the use of HD video on a small phone screen ?

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Not bad, It is definetly not blazing fast like 4g lte but it is more than fast enough for everything besides extreme high def streaming.

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jeffster1970 It is not fast, but based on the price, it is not that bad. Try not to download during the peak hours then. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@jeffster1970 Just note it is not 3G service, it is LTE service that is throttled to 3G speeds.

Highlighted

@GinYVR wrote:

@jeffster1970 Just note it is not 3G service, it is LTE service that is throttled to 3G speeds.

Yes, the LTE network is available for Public Mobile customers on "3g" plans.  Data services are also available on the DC-HSPA network (and all voice traffic is routed to this network as well).

For most people, using 3Mbps speeds on the LTE network won't prevent them from doing anything that they usually do data-wise on the phone. Even 720p/1080p video will work, although it just might take a few seconds longer before playback starts so that the video app can buffer enough content to try to ensure continuous playback.