cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does long distance work with PM?

mobileguy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi,

I joined PM this morning.  The activation process went smoothly.  I would like to thank everyone for their support and assistance in answering my questions prior to joining.

I have not ported over my Bell number just yet.  I'm going to try this service first and if everything goes well, then I'll port over.

My question is this.  My Bell number has an independent carrier for long distance.  When I port my number over to PM, does any long distance calls still go through the independent carrier.  I would prefer if all long distance calls just go through PM since my plan has Canada wide minutes.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

mobileguy

@Jb456 , Thanks.

@mobileguy wrote:

@ChuckYeah wrote:

@mobileguy With PM, you will PAY for your service before you will use it. So your long distance for the next 30 days, either on your PM number or on your Bell number if you port it in. There are no overages.

If you are on a limited plan and run out of minutes, you can purchase an add on of 500 min for $5 and then use that until your next cycle. Addon minutes only expire when you use them.

If you're on an unlimited plan, there are no longdistance charges, and you can call Canada Wide.

@ChuckYeah , I looked at the $5 addon and it says 500 Canada wide long distance minutes.  Do you know if this also includes local calling minutes? 

@mobileguy yes it includes local calling.

mobileguy

@ChuckYeah wrote:

@mobileguy With PM, you will PAY for your service before you will use it. So your long distance for the next 30 days, either on your PM number or on your Bell number if you port it in. There are no overages.

If you are on a limited plan and run out of minutes, you can purchase an add on of 500 min for $5 and then use that until your next cycle. Addon minutes only expire when you use them.

If you're on an unlimited plan, there are no longdistance charges, and you can call Canada Wide.

@ChuckYeah , I looked at the $5 addon and it says 500 Canada wide long distance minutes.  Do you know if this also includes local calling minutes? 

mobileguy

@geopublic , yes, i defintely will get the $5 addon...well worth it.  Surprised that there isn't any doumented details for this addon saying that it doesn't expire after so many days.  When I first saw it, i thought the 500 minutes would expire after 30 days or 1 year.

@mobileguy wrote:

@geopublic , Thanks.  My LD calls are only across Canada.  I usually make them out-going.  I'm guessing with the plan I have that all incoming calls (local or LD) do not count towards my minutes.  I'm on the $15 plan.

@mobileguy  Correct. Also a good idea to purchase the 500 Canada wide minute addon for $5. Addons never expire until used up and act as a backup if you ever go over your outgoing minute allotment.

mobileguy

@geopublic , Thanks.  My LD calls are only across Canada.  I usually make them out-going.  I'm guessing with the plan I have that all incoming calls (local or LD) do not count towards my minutes.  I'm on the $15 plan.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@mobileguy  When you refer to LD are you interested Canada Wide only? 

LD only comes into play when making calls. Receiving calls from anywhere does not require a LD provider or any addons.

Are you using that LD carrier for LD outside of Canada? If yes, make sure to check that the countries that you make calls to are on Public's 400 minute LD addon list.

@Anonymous wrote:

@mobileguy wrote:

@LovesToPM , Thanks for the response.  Right now, Bell does not bill me for long distance.  My independent carrier bills me directly.  So I'm not sure if the both of them are still affiliated in any way.  I guess I'll find out when I make my first LD call using PM.

Just cancel with the third party. Don't cancel Bell! When you port it will self-cancel.

^^This^^.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mobileguy wrote:

@LovesToPM , Thanks for the response.  Right now, Bell does not bill me for long distance.  My independent carrier bills me directly.  So I'm not sure if the both of them are still affiliated in any way.  I guess I'll find out when I make my first LD call using PM.

Just cancel with the third party. Don't cancel Bell! When you port it will self-cancel.

mobileguy

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@mobileguy wrote:

Hi,

I joined PM this morning.  The activation process went smoothly.  I would like to thank everyone for their support and assistance in answering my questions prior to joining.

I have not ported over my Bell number just yet.  I'm going to try this service first and if everything goes well, then I'll port over.

My question is this.  My Bell number has an independent carrier for long distance.  When I port my number over to PM, does any long distance calls still go through the independent carrier.  I would prefer if all long distance calls just go through PM since my plan has Canada wide minutes.

Thanks.

AFAIK, all your long distance calls will go through Public Mobile.

Your independent carrier service was setup knowing that you are with Bell. Bell can bill you on behalf of the independent carrier for your long distance calls. Public Mobile does not bill you. You pay for your plan or add-ons, that's it.

To be safe, you can always contact the independent carrier to inquire or cancel your service.

Welcome to Public Mobile!

Need Help? Let's chat.