cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do Ilose the US carriers apps now that I am in Canada?

pmcmahon225
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have put my Public Mobile SIM card in my LG Stylo 4 phone which I had been using in Florida.  The phone works fine and in "settings" it says I'm on the Public Mobile network..

However, when I turn the phone on, the start up sequence loads the "Metro by T-Mobile" graphics and the Metro apps (My Metro, Metrozone, etc). 

I have terminated my Metro (T-Mobile) contract and cancelled my US phone number.

What do I need to do so these US apps and start-up graphics don't load?

I have tried deleting all of the Metro apps individually but they do not delete.

Ideas / suggestions?     Thanks!  

13 REPLIES 13

@pmcmahon225 wrote:

I have put my Public Mobile SIM card in my LG Stylo 4 phone which I had been using in Florida.  The phone works fine and in "settings" it says I'm on the Public Mobile network..

However, when I turn the phone on, the start up sequence loads the "Metro by T-Mobile" graphics and the Metro apps (My Metro, Metrozone, etc). 

I have terminated my Metro (T-Mobile) contract and cancelled my US phone number.

What do I need to do so these US apps and start-up graphics don't load?

I have tried deleting all of the Metro apps individually but they do not delete.

Ideas / suggestions?     Thanks!  

Disabling apps was dicussed. While that's certainly possible, the only way you're going to get rid of startup logos is going to be to root your phone. This involves performing non-manufactuer-approved modifications to the software installed on your device. Proceed at your own risk.

@tabi159w wrote:

You should be able to disable carrier apps in the settings of said apps. You could always call T-Mobile support for more help.

T-Mobile is not going to provide support to someone who isn't a customer. I also can't see them providing help to modify a phone to work better at a different carrier.

@gpixel wrote:

@pmcmahon225 you can download and install the Canadian version os and install it.

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT31903570-1428539983765

It's not quite that simple. This phone is very likely to have a locked bootloader. This means that trying to install software from another regiion is going to fail.

@gblackma wrote:

@pmcmahon225  LG phones require at minimum a network reset and sometimes a factory reset to wotk properly on PM. Try the network reset first.  

Reset Network Settings LG Stylo 4
  1. Hold down the Power key for a few seconds to turn on the device.
  2. Then select Main Menu and Settings.
  3. After that tap General and Backup & Reset.
  4. Now choose Network Settings Reset and Reset Settings.
  5. Finally tap Reset Settings.
  6. Great!

Restart your phone if it doesn't automatically do. Yoou will have to reaet your APN settings. 

APN settings:
Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: Not set       
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: Not set
MVNO value: Not set

Save them, enable data and try sending an mms message and surfing the internet. Stay safe. 

Adjusting APN settings or other network settings doesn't remove bloatware/carrier apps.

tabi159w
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You should be able to disable carrier apps in the settings of said apps. You could always call T-Mobile support for more help.

Daps
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@pmcmahon225 Hope this helps!

How to Disable MetroZONE App
  1. Unlock your phone;
  2. Open “Settings”=> “Apps”=>”All apps”;
  3. Scroll down the list until you find MetroZONE and then tap it;
  4. Tap “Disable” and then “Yes” in the “Turn off pre-installed app” pop-up;

Repeat as needed for other apps.

Danchvn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@pmcmahon225 

I believe @darlicious could be right. I had a phone a while back that was originally locked with Rogers. When I changed carriers after unlocking it, it would still always boot up with the Rogers logo and I could find nothing to get rid of it and the extra Rogers apps. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum and I'm sure some of them will be able to help out.

@Daps  Thanks. Missed that part. @pmcmahon225 disable the bloatware as mentioned above.

Daps

@gblackma wrote:

@pmcmahon225  LG phones require at minimum a network reset and sometimes a factory reset to wotk properly on PM. Try the network reset first.  

6. Great!

Restart your phone if it doesn't automatically do. Yoou will have to reaet your APN settings. 

APN settings:

Save them, enable data and try sending an mms message and surfing the internet. Stay safe. 

Just a little note. @pmcmahon225 said his phone is working fine.

Daps

@pmcmahon225 If you cannot delete the preinstalled apps, you should be permitted to disable them.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/android/lg-stylo-4/manage-apps-lg-stylo-4

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

6. Great!

APN settings:

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@pmcmahon225 

You're phone was originally locked to the carrier and the US does have different rules regarding mobile providers....those apps and graphics may be embedded in the phone similar to how Google maps, mail, chrome etc.....come with almost all phones. Someone with more expertise on bloatware and that technical side of things can weigh in on how to get rid of these kind of things. It takes a little more knowledge than the average guy has to take this on....i think being very non techie myself!

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@pmcmahon225 you can download and install the Canadian version os and install it.

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT31903570-1428539983765

Need Help? Let's chat.