cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set up a Public mobile phone?

AlecChisholm
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do I move from another provider (telus) in my case to public mobile? Am I able to keep my own phone number?

14 REPLIES 14

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@AlecChisholm 

• You will need 2 SIMS and two emails.
  • Activate your account first, don't forget to use a referral code to save $10
  • Pick a temporary number and setup your self serve account
  • Activate your wife's sim and pick a temporary number, don forget to use your referral code (you can get it from accessing your selfserve account to save an additional $1 per 30 days).
  • Port your wife's number from Telus to PM
  • Port your number from Telus to PM
  • Welcome to PM!

To get started click here.

Note: To setup the ports you need to submit a ticket to PM from each account. Include the Telus account number, name on the account and phone number and PM will setup the port.

To submit a ticket to the Moderator Team, please start a conversation with the Public's virtual assistant, SIMon by clicking the icon below:

s.JPG

If you are still having problems contacting Public Mobile then click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

Don't forget to use your friend's referral code you both benefit.

Use your friends referral only once!!

That will give you $10 and your friend $1 per 30 days. 

Then use yours or your spouses referral......keep it in the family!

For another $10 off AND one of you get the $1 off per 30 days. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @AlecChisholm 

You can use aliases instead of email if you really don't want to use more than once email. If you use Gmail name@gmail.com gets all the messages of name+me@gmail.com and name+wife@gmail.com

You can port your numbers during the activation if you do please make sure you can be reached at the alternative phone number in a case of a an error. I personally felt safer activating with temporary number trying it out then porting.  Usually we can port ourselves but these days due to system changes and maintenance we have to contact moderators for assistance

Don't forget to use your friend's referral code you both benefit.

Welcome to public mobile

You need to get a PM SIM card. Telus Sim won't work. But your Telus phone(s) WILL work, even if they are old enough to be locked to TELUS. Porting your numbers from Telus to PM typically takes about 1 minute but I think the Porting Glitch is stil happening so pick a new number from PM while activating and then contact the PM moderators to port your number in.

AE_Collector

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@AlecChisholm wrote:

Thanks,

How do I know if I already have a SIM card?

You already have a SIM card, but it's a Telus SIM card.  You need to buy a Public Mobile SIM card.

It's easy to replace.  Just google your phone model and "replace SIM" for instructions.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You would need to purchase a PM sim and port transfer your phone#

Here is a porting guide. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Start-Guide-Setup-Activation-Port-Dat...

@AlecChisholm  no you can't have you and your wife's phone under one account, each requires a unique email address and SIM card. However using email aliases are allowed.

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@AlecChisholm ,

Q: Can I have my phone and my wife's phone under one account?

No, you will require  2 Emails = 2 Accounts to run the  2 phone numbers. 

AlecChisholm

Thanks,

How do I know if I already have a SIM card?

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It's easy.  Just buy a SIM online from a retailer or online.  Go to publicmobile.ca and set up your account and pick a temporary phone number.

When everything is working, port your current number over to Public Mobile by clicking the appropriate link.

So, yes, it's easy to keep your own phone number.  Keep your Telus account active until the number is ported over, though.

AlecChisholm

Can I have my phone and my wife's phone under one account?

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

HI @AlecChisholm ,

You can switch very easily, Just order a sim online or you can buy the sim in stores like (Walmart, London Drugs).

Once you get the sim, you can do the port request and

Here is the link to get you started.

Currently, If you order a sim from  PM's Website it's only 5$. Usually, the price is 10$ :cathappy:

Cheers

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@AlecChisholm  you need a unique email address and SIM card for every account and you can transfer/ port your number over. Here's an article on porting https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number and on activating an account  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up and on what is required to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/what-you-need-to-activate

Need Help? Let's chat.