cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I move my cell phone number to Public Mobile?

Lachlan_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

The phone number you want to transfer must still be active with your current service provider. Once the transfer has been processed your account with old service provider will be deactivated.

For Wireless - Provide either one of the three pieces of account information from your old service provider – Old Account #, ESN / IMEI / MEID, PIN along with your alternate phone number and your name.

For Wireline - Provide the complete billing address along with your name, alternate number and all other required information.

To port your number at the time of activation, select “Transfer a wireless or wireline number” on Step 5 of Activation Process.

Activation Portal - Step 5

Activation Porting Number.PNG

Authorization Name should be the name associated with the number to be ported.

To port your number from your Self Serve account, go to "Plan and Add-ons" from home page and "Change Phone number" and continue with the steps above.

Web Self Serve

WSC Port EN.PNG

150 REPLIES 150

Daniel
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@aube,

Currently, there's seams to be a problem for quite a few people to access the selfserve area (myself included).

The only thing to do is to open a ticket and wait for a response from the support team.

aube
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the reply

I tried the instruction below, but this is the message I get:

We are experiencing difficulties in processing this request. Please contact Public Mobile for additional assistance.

Thanks

Daniel

@bmartinez,

you'll need to open a support ticket from the main PM website :

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help

bmartinez

it is not working for some reason is there a way that a rep from public could do it for me.?

Daniel

Good morning @bmartinez,

In order not to mis the issue, it might be a good idea to open your oen thread in the community.

Note : Your should be able to port your number from WIND while activating your SIM card. At one point, you will be prompt to either select a new phone number, or to port your existing number (Option box)

bmartinez

also i mean transfer the number from WIND to this new sim card i g from this company

bmartinez

i need help....i keep trying to activate my sim card and put in an old number that i had with the phone provider wind and it wont let me transfer the name, can i get some help pls?

TroyDaBes
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Never mind. Received a text from PM about my transfer successfully. Checked my old account and it is definitely say it was cancelled today. And I'm getting incoming calls without any problem. 

Sure, call them to verify you want the port completed. You may need to call them with your PM SIM installed; I'm not sure calling out on two different carriers can be done but give it a try.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

TroyDaBes

I switched to my old sim. It is still active but I received a text about porting my number. They want me to call them to verify. Do calling them will lose my number or not?

edit: Never mind. Received a message about transfer being successfully completed. 😄

Incoming calls from the number you are porting take the longest to set up becasue they are dependent on your old carrier cooperating. Cell phone numbers are much faster than land lines. Based on other posts I have seen this should clear up within a few hours.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

TroyDaBes

@Moid_I

Hi. I got my sim today and I activated my sim card. Everything went well. I can now use data, text, call someone but for some reason whenever I call my number through the home phone it always go to my voice mail. I wonder what's wrong here? I haven't tried it yet using a CP if the results are the same. 

and oh. I can still access my old phone carrier account. Is this normal?

Moid_I
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@TroyDaBes Can you let us know if you were sucessfully able to port you number to Public Mobile? 

If you are having problem with porting please click on Contact Us and Email Away. 

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

The PM tool for IMEIs has a history of giving false positives. That is the reason that no one recommends it. If you must use it, then do so, but its results are unreliable.

As long as your phone is not on Canada's blacklist, adhere to the frequency requirements that Cyber published, a few minutes ago, in response to a post, the subject of which was "lost phone".

Though early, welcome to Public Mobile.

TroyDaBes

Ah, okay. So, the number I put in the "check your phone number is eligible" will be the one I'm going to use in PM? Then, just put the account number of my current provider and IMEI of my phone? That's it for porting my number?

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

The alternate number is the one at which you could be contacted should a problem occur.

It can be a second PM number, or one from any other service provider.

TroyDaBes

No. The one on the wireless number transfer in the first page during activation. There's a word "alternate number". Is that the number I'm going to use in PM?

Are you referring to that in Self-Serve Account?

TroyDaBes

What does alternate phone number mean? Is that the number that you want to use to PM?

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
@newhere, Rebooting of Phone should be done at least twice in a Day to keep things Perfect running. You should have Re-Booted your phone like @Cyber said.

@newhere,

Welcome to Public Mobile !

newhere
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for the time range, @Cyber. I did not need to reboot and the transfer was completed in about 35 minutes.

@newhere,

It could take up to 3 hours for a mobile number.

Try to reboot your mobile.

newhere

I just got the "Phone number change successful" at 1:40 pm ET. Has anyone timed how long the phone transfer takes? Is it different depending on the provider? For example, I'm moving from Chatr to PM. Looking forward to hearing the experiences of others. 

[Update: I got a text message at 2:12 pm ET confirming that the transfer request was complete. An inbound call to my phone a few seconds later and an outbound text confirmed it.]

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Martin wrote:
Hello,

Use cellunlocker.net that costs about $5 or so.

If you use Public Mobile to unlock the phone, it will cost $50.

No carrier unlocks phones free of charge.

Cheers.

Good Advice, but not every Phone is $5. Prices Vary. For Example: Samsung & Nokia Can be as much as $20 to $50. But its still cheaper then going through the Cell Phone Provider

Martin
Legend
Legend
DK,

Are you stalking me?

DK
Hi, you are eligible to unlock your phone for a fee after 90 days of ownership with a telco account that is in good standing. That holds true for any phone with any telco when the phone is on subsidy if not mistaken. The telco does not do it for free but a fee and it is not automatic. You will have to request it.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Use cellunlocker.net that costs about $5 or so.

If you use Public Mobile to unlock the phone, it will cost $50.

No carrier unlocks phones free of charge.

Cheers.

syed_milad

Dear Concern,

I like know MY BROTHER has to visit outside of Canada and as a result his cell phone has to  Unlock. I have heard that "People who purchased cell phones from PUBLIC MOBILE while Public Mobile is changing network (at the time Public Mobile has started to use Telus Network), those phone should be unlocked after THREE Months automatically", Is that True ?
If not, that what is the prosedure to unlock the phone ? Moreover, He has been using Public Mobile Since February,2012

Thanks

BetaKam
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I ported my number using the method above when I activated my sim card. This was very helpful!

Just to help others considering the switch to public mobile and porting their number I'd like to mention that I was moving from Virgin Mobile to Public mobile and I used my Old Vigin Mobile Account number and my first and last Name as the Authorization Name.

I went through the rest of the sim card and profile setup until it was finished and they had my credit card information. Then powered down my phone and switched my sim card to my new public mobile sim. I powered up my phone and I was not able to receive calls for few minutes it went straight to my Virgin Mobile voicemail. I was able however to make calls out from my old number which was great. It took about a 1/2 hour then I received a message:" Public Mobile here: Your transfer request has been completed successfully. Welcome to Public Mobile and thank you for joining us!" Then I reboot my phone and my number was all setup and was able to send and receive calls on my old ported over number. (not sure if a phone reboot is necessary)

My data didn't work right away I had to look to the community to get help on that setup.

Thanks,
BetaKam
Need Help? Let's chat.