cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know when number port is complete?

Mothman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I signed up my wife to Public Mobile last night, and all is going great, so I just ported her number from Virgin.

I completed the online info, and got the "Phone number change successful " message online.

I know it can take some time for the port to complete... but have a couple questions:

1 - is her phone unusable while the port is in-process?  (Currently she doesn't seem to be receiving or sending texts)

2 - how do we know when the port is successfully finalized?  Will there be some indication on the phone?

11 REPLIES 11

@ryjawar77 wrote:

I don’t think it matters. I did it on a Saturday morning and it was instant. I ported from Koodo and I’m loving the savings. 

Number porting is largely an automated process in most cases.  How else would you explain so many number ports take exactly 30 minutes?  I've also done online number porting before at times such as 2am and have never notice any such difference in processing times.

MZDM0001
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

the associate will tell you by what time the port will be complete. It may take few hours or 24 hours until it's completed. however between porting numbers, your both phones will work.

ryjawar77

I don’t think it matters. I did it on a Saturday morning and it was instant. I ported from Koodo and I’m loving the savings. 

ExtraSlow
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just ported my number over from Telus and it was complete within less than 5 minutes.  I was anticipating a couple of hours downtime, but was really pleased with how fast it was.  

I wonder if it's faster during "business hours" than overnight or on the weekend?  

jeremiah10
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey Mothman,
Regular time for porting is within the 3 hour period of time. Sometimes it can take longer if the info provided is wrong or the porting has failed. You will only be able to make out going calls but will not recieve incoming calls when porting is fully not completed. Another note, public mobile sends a text message saying Porting is successfully done and number is over.

ryjawar77

Mine was instant as soon as I pushed transfer my existing number. It was straightforward other than I should have perhaps realized my existing SIM would inactivate right away 😂😂😂. Lesson learned. 

@Mothman wrote:

To clarify, I JUST did the number port 10 minutes ago.

Ohh, thanks for clarifying. Wait a few hours and it should be done if you provided the correct porting details. 

Mothman

@NDesai wrote:

@Mothman  You will get a text when the port is complete. 24 hour wait sound a bit long, but it could take up to 48 hours. See if the virgin sim is still active, if yes, you can use that in the mean time as it will have incoming calls, but with the PM sim, you might have trouble getting calls...

To clarify, I JUST did the number port 10 minutes ago.

I know there will be a wait, I was just wondering how to know when it's done.

We have the PM sim in the phone, so will await a text.

For whatever reason the ported phone won't send a text, but we did try an outgoing phone call and it did work.  So we'll just wait for the port to complete.

Thanks all!

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@Mothman Her phone should still be usable while the number is porting, she should still be able to send calls/texts from her PM SIM, but may need to put in her old Virgin SIM to receive calls/texts. When the Virgin SIM stops working the port should be complete and the PM SIM should be able to send and receive calls/texts.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Mothman  You will get a text when the port is complete. 24 hour wait sound a bit long, but it could take up to 48 hours. See if the virgin sim is still active, if yes, you can use that in the mean time as it will have incoming calls, but with the PM sim, you might have trouble getting calls...

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Mothman wrote:

I signed up my wife to Public Mobile last night, and all is going great, so I just ported her number from Virgin.

I completed the online info, and got the "Phone number change successful " message online.

I know it can take some time for the port to complete... but have a couple questions:

1 - is her phone unusable while the port is in-process?  (Currently she doesn't seem to be receiving or sending texts)

2 - how do we know when the port is successfully finalized?  Will there be some indication on the phone?

Port is usually done is less than couple hours.  It is done when incoming calls work with Public sim.  

If you have old carrier sim in phone, thay sim will stop working.

If you have Public sim in phone, they will send text mesaage saying the number transfer was a success.

Need Help? Let's chat.