cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oracle

Re: How do I know if my phone will work on the Public Mobile network?

@JeanPierre23 Noticed Moto G 3rd gen now available from Staples for $299. Not sure how well it compares for you, but it regularly gets good reviews.

Happy hunting.

>>> ALERT: I AM NOT A MODERATOR. JE NE SUIS PAS MODERATEUR.
Legend

Hi @JeanPierre23,

I have two 2013 Moto G units and one 2015 Moto G phone. The submodel of the 2015 device is XT1540. If possible, buy it outright from Telus as it costs $230, but locked. The phone sold by Staples is unlocked. If you need an unlocking service, two reputable companies are located at www.cellunlocker.net and www.quickphoneunlock.com.

The 2015 phone has no bloatware; the phone is stock Android except for 2 very helpful Motorola apps. My phone, from August 2015, came with Lollipop 5.1.1. As you may have heard, the battery tends to discharge too quickly. Marshmallow has been available for awhile, and I'm still pondering whether to upgrade to eliminate the battery problem, but perhaps encounter new ones.

The speaker, which is in front, is in mono only. The radio comes with an FM radio app; listening to it requires a headset with a jack for a standard 3.5 mm USB port. The cord acts as the antenna.

If you want further information, google "gsmarena.com 2015 moto g".

Should you have any questions about the 2015 Moto G, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to address them.

Cheers.
Mayor / Maire

@JeanPierre23 please keep us posted when you get your new phone, which one you picked and how you like it.  We would love to hear your experiences with the 5X or whatever phone you land on.  Smiley Happy

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everybody,

Thanks for answering so quickly. I was not awared the PM community was that awesome! I finally chose the Blu Energy X Plus. It has great battery life and is way cheaper than the honor 5x. I did my research and it should work on the PM network. 

Thank you and have a great day.

Mayor / Maire

Awesome - thanks for letting us know, @JeanPierre23! Hope you enjoy the new phone - please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions in the future.

Mayor / Maire

Great choice, @JeanPierre23, that battery life should be amazing!  If they made a verison with 2GB of ram instead of 1 and 16GB (or more) of storage instead of 8, I'd be all over it like a dirty shirt!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I am entering my IMEI number it showa my phone will work with PM but I purchased Sim and now its not working I switch alrady from my carrier what to do

Legend

Hello,

1: Please go to www.willmyphonework.net to see if your phone is compatible with Public Mobile. The IMEI checker is known to give false positives.
2: Is your phone unlocked, or locked to Koodo or Telus? If it requires unlocking, two reputable unlocking services are located at www.cellphoneunlocker.net and
www.quickphoneunlock.com
3: Does your self-serve account say that status is active? If not, you must first pay for a plan while proceeding through the steps at
activate.publicmobile.ca
4: Have you configured your phone's APN to conform with the network settings of Public Mobile? If not, look for the Knowledge Base Articles, on the left side of the page, in the full/computer version. The last article is called Setting Up Data on Your Phone. Click it and choose the operating system of your phone. Follow the instructions.
5: You said that you purchased a SIM card. Public Mobile does not sell SIM cards. Are you certain that you are posting in the forum of the right carrier?

6: Under Settings, check to ensure that your phone is not set at 2G. It must be 3G or LTE.
7: Remember to reboot your phone. 80% of all problems are solved when the phone is rebooted.

I look forward to your reply.

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Also, what does 'not working' mean exactly?

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have ordered the Bluboo X9 that I hope to start using with PM in place of my Xiaomi Mi 2 with PC Mobile (backup phone from my broken S6 edge +). 

I've found that it supports LTE bands of 800, 1800, 2100, and 2600 MHz. I assumed that bands 2100 and 2600 would work with Telus' network, but I've been told this phone does not get LTE with providers in North America.

Are these bands indeed compatible with Telus' network? It's a phone based in Shenzhen marketed only for Chinese networks, so I'm starting to have doubts as I'm not very knowledgable in networking.