cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: How do I know if my phone will work on the Public Mobile network?

@srlawren, I think this is what you need:

2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
CDMA 800 / 1900
3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
TD-SCDMA
4G bands LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)

Mayor / Maire

@sonician ah, yes.  So again talk, text, and 3G (HSPA/HSPA+) data are going to work fine.  You will get some LTE on bands 5 and 7 depending where you are at the time, but lacking band 4 is a bit of a blow for 4G LTE data.  If having fast data is important to you, you might want to keep looking.  If you're okay with the (slightly) slower 3G data most of the time, then this may well fit the bill.  Out of curiosity, which phone is this?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@srlawren This one is a Xiaomi RedMi Pro. I only had my Note 4 for a year, so I'm trying to find something reasonably priced to replace it, which means having to look for a decent Chinese branded one.

Is there a map that I can see where bands 5 & 7 would be available?

Thanks for the help!

Mayor / Maire

@sonician good question!

The main cell tower map site I'm aware of is http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html.  It's quite detailed, but you have to do some digging to figure out what bands are in use.  You can look at towers near you and click on them for details, but then you have to look at the combination of the frequency (1st column) and bandwidth (2nd column) to pick out what LTE bands are in use.  There is an explanation of it somewhere in the community, but I'm having a hard time finding it with the search.  Smiley Sad

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Mayor / Maire

@sonician so yes my most recently reply is correct, you will get full talk, text, and 3G data, and 4G LTE data in some areas.  Ideally you'd have at least band 4 and band 2, but in some areas bands 5 and 7 are available.  For example, I saw lots of it in Vancovuer area recently since I started paying more attention.  In areas where you can't get a band 5 or 7 signal, your phone will revert to 3G HSPA/HSPA+ data speeds, which are still quite decent for most tasks.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

1. I have a Z5 Compact model E5823 from Europe. I was wondering if it would work in this network. Can you help me?

This are the specifications:

GSM Mhz bandQuad-Band 850/900/1800/1900
2G networkGSM 850/900/1800/1900
3G networkUMTS 850/900/1900/2100
4G networkLTE Cat6 700/800/850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600 (Bands 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,12,17,20,28), TD-LTE 2300/2600 (Bands 38,40)
Mayor / Maire

@Dagasandra yes based on the specs you posted that phone will work very well in Public Mobile. Just make sure it is not locked to a carrier and you are fine.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Mayor / Maire

@tissan unfortunately it will not;  it only has AWS (1700MHz+2100MHz) frequency support on it's 3G radio, which means it is not compatible with Public Mobile.  I think Freedom may in fact be the only network in Canada that operates 3G on the AWS frequencies.  

Oracle

I'll just leave this here, it's a great resource.

http://willmyphonework.net/