cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know if my phone will work on the Public Mobile network?

Lachlan_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Public Mobile works on following frequencies: 

• For 3G use (UMTS/HSPA): 850MHz/1900MHz bands
  • For 4G/LTE use: 1700MHz/2100MHz bands
  • For 4G/LTE use: 700 MHz band

Which means most of the 3G,4G HSPA/ LTE phones that are compatible with these frequencies will work on Public Mobile. If your phone is locked to specific carrier, you’ll have to get it unlocked. 

Phones compatible with Telus, Koodo, Bell, Virgin will work on Public Mobile network. All 3G, 4G phones from Rogers, Fido and ChatR are compatible and will work on the Public Mobile network. 

To verify if you phone will work on Public Mobile network click here 

239 REPLIES 239

rajibborua
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I wanted to use my Iphone 4 which was previously used by rogers sim. I checked my IMEI with PM's website which indicates that I can use my PM sim.

But My iphone does not get PM's network after inserting PM's sim.

Can you please suggest me what to do? 

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @srlawren,

You're welcome!

Cheers.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Good hint, @Martin!  When shopping for myself, I personally look for phones that are compatible with both AT&T and T-Mobile, since I use Roam Mobility when travelling in the US and it operates on the T-Mobile network. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @srlawren,

If you go to gsmarena.com, but not www.willmyphonework.net, see if the phone is AT&T compatible. If it is, it will work on PM's network.

FYI.

srlawren

Or if in doubt, ask here, and we can help.  The more specific you can be with a model number, the better.  I typically then go to gsmarena.com like Martin does, and look up the specs and compare it with what we know of the PM network.  There's several of us that can help you decide before you buy, if you like.

Some retailers, like Expansys.ca, include a grid below of the major carriers in Canada and whether a given phone works on those carriers for 3G, LTE, etc.  If you're shopping there, use the "Telus" row for compatibility with PM.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Unfortunately, PM's IMEI checker has been known to give false positives.

My go-to sites to determine if a phone is compatible with PM's network are gsmarena.com and www.willmyphonework.net

FYI.

tetrion27
There is also a way for pm to verify your phone though its iem or emi number

srlawren

Sorry to muddy the waters, but I have one more you may wish to consider:

The Honor 5X (made by Huawei, makers of the Nexus 6P).

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/02/05/huawei-has-no-plans-to-officially-launch-the-honor-5x-in-canada/

It's available in Canada, just slightly more than the Asus, and very capable.  Just a thought.  🙂

srlawren

Still an excellent choice!  🙂  Enjoy!

DudetteSunny
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you for the option 🙂

but since it doesn't ship to Canada that would be more difficult.

But it looks like an amazing phone, BLU has had an interesting lineup of phones but I have heard good things about the ASUS so will probably be buying this for now 🙂

@srlawren Good to know! And that's a helluva price for a phone as neat as it is. Now if only we didn't have to drive across the border for it...

srlawren

@7789849803 as it's not my daily driver, I can't attest 100% to the stability, but I typically get calls from that uncle when he's having any technology issues (he calls me his IT guy--well I do work in IT but...ugh! hehe) and I don't really recall him having any troubles that weren't self-inflicted (due to his inexperience--his first Android phone moving from older BlackBerries that he also wasn't great at!). 

I can say that it is very close to stock android without a heavy skin or anything (aka touchwiz, etc).  They add a few useful things like double-tap to wake (should be stock, Google!), display colour calibration settings, and I forget what else but remember noticing a few things and thinking "this should be in stock android, why isn't it?".  Also very little to no bloatware out of the box, which I believe is an issue with the Asus.

That said, I'm not trying to sway anyone away from the Asus, it looks like a great unit and a great value too.  Just presenting another option. 

I can link a few reviews if anyone is curious, or you can of course google them yourself.  I seem to recall the typical sources (Android Authority, Android Central, Android Police, etc) all reviewing it and being pretty happy overall.

@srlawren How's the firmware on that Blu One X phone? I'm always wary of trying out phones from new manufacturers, but Asus is a company that I've had consistently great experiences with. And they seem to be good at making firmware that's not as buggy as some of the other new entrants in this space.

srlawren

@DudetteSunny

I'm not sure how final you are on your decision to pick up that phone, but I thought I would offer you another alternative that I think is worth at least having a look at, the Blu Life One X late 2015 edition that came out in December. 

Why do I suggest looking at it?  It's slightly smaller than the Asus at 5.2" but has similar specs, great reviews (minus a few hiccups the main one being the speakerphone being a bit quiet and tiny but the Asus gets the same complaints), and is available from Amazon.com for $149 USD http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0189RMNTG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00.  Even at current exchange rates, that's only about $215 Canadian.  Now, this might only be an option for you if you live near the border as it seems they don't ship to Canada.

I myself bought one of these for my uncle for Christmas, and helped get him all set up on it, and it's a really great phone, especially for the price but I think it punches way beyond it's price class.  I had it shipped to a service I use in Blaine, Washington state.  This was a pretty economical way to go and it's a great phone, comes with a nice flip case with window, etc.  Something to at least consider.  In the end, of course, pick what you want!  🙂

DudetteSunny

@srlawren wrote:

@DudetteSunny wrote:

Hi I wanted to buy this phone

http://www.staples.ca/en/Asus-ZE551KL-15-3G16GN-SR-Zenfone2-Laser-GSM-Phone-5-5-Qualcomm-Snapdragon-...

Will it work on public mobile's network in Quebec, including data, calling and texts?

I'm not sure what the exact network bands are though..

@DudetteSunny that Asus really is an amazing value at $269 Canadian.  I think you're going to be quite happy with it!

Thank you 🙂

DudetteSunny

Thank you! 

I was already part of PM, but I am now changing phones so wasn't sure about what phones are compatible with my public mobile sim. 

srlawren

@DudetteSunny wrote:

http://www.staples.ca/en/Asus-ZE551KL-15-3G16GN-SR-Zenfone2-Laser-GSM-Phone-5-5-Qualcomm-Snapdragon-...

Will it work on public mobile's network in Quebec, including data, calling and texts?

@DudetteSunny that Asus really is an amazing value at $269 Canadian.  I think you're going to be quite happy with it!

Hi @DudetteSunny,

Welcome to the PM community! That phone will work on the PM network just fine. Both 3G as well as 4G will be fully supported...only on SIM1, however. SIM2 on that phone is 2G-only, so it will be useless to you.

Out of curiosity, how'd you hear about PM? What carrier are you with now, and what made you want to switch over?

DudetteSunny

@Riz Not sure why you would buy it from ebay in US $, when you can get one from Koodo or Telus that will work on PM?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Riz
Thank you @vrance @Martin

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

The phone has all the frequencies necessary to function on Public Mobile's network, including 4G LTE-Advanced, which is 700 MHz (Band 17).

I hope that this has answered your question.

Cheers.

vrance
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @Riz, the 3G 850/1900 and LTE 1700/2100 (Band 4 AWS) will work in Public Mobile.

Riz
Hey I'm buying an unlocked phone online from Taiwan wondering if it would work. http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Unlocked-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-5-SM-N9208-64GB-4G-LTE-Dual-Sim-Gold-Free-Shi...
The seller listed the following frequencies
3G : B1(2100), B2(1900), B5(850), B8(900)

3G TD-SCDMA : B34(2010), B39(1880)

4G FDD LTE: B1(2100), B2(1900), B3(1800), B4(AWS), B5(850), B7(2600), B8(900), B12(700), B17(700), B18(800), B19(800), B25(1900), B26(800), B28(700)

4G TDD LTE: B38(2600), B39(1900), B40(2300), B41(2500)

Thanks!!!

hasni

Thank you for reply, photo message work with the zte? thank you.

deltatux
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@hasni wrote:

Hi, i want to buy this phone : http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_227746.html 

ZTE V5 3 Network:
2G: GSM 900/1800/1900MHz
3G: WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz
4G: FDD-LTE 1800/2100/2600MHz

i want to know if it's compatible with quebec public mobile please, thank you.

@hasni, should work but do note that those LTE bands are not for North America, so you will not be able to connect to LTE service here.

I would recommend you to spend a bit more ($250) and get this instead. You will also receive North American warranty: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875220004&cm_re=ASUS_Zenfone_2-_-75-220-004-_-P...

Cheers!

hasni

Hi, i want to buy this phone : http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_227746.html 

ZTE V5 3 Network:
2G: GSM 900/1800/1900MHz
3G: WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz
4G: FDD-LTE 1800/2100/2600MHz

i want to know if it's compatible with quebec public mobile please, thank you.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
You are very Welcome.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire
Oh? Thanks for the info
Need Help? Let's chat.