cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know if my phone will work on the Public Mobile network?

Lachlan_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Public Mobile works on following frequencies: 

• For 3G use (UMTS/HSPA): 850MHz/1900MHz bands
  • For 4G/LTE use: 1700MHz/2100MHz bands
  • For 4G/LTE use: 700 MHz band

Which means most of the 3G,4G HSPA/ LTE phones that are compatible with these frequencies will work on Public Mobile. If your phone is locked to specific carrier, you’ll have to get it unlocked. 

Phones compatible with Telus, Koodo, Bell, Virgin will work on Public Mobile network. All 3G, 4G phones from Rogers, Fido and ChatR are compatible and will work on the Public Mobile network. 

To verify if you phone will work on Public Mobile network click here 

239 REPLIES 239

Xcurior
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have ordered the Bluboo X9 that I hope to start using with PM in place of my Xiaomi Mi 2 with PC Mobile (backup phone from my broken S6 edge +). 

I've found that it supports LTE bands of 800, 1800, 2100, and 2600 MHz. I assumed that bands 2100 and 2600 would work with Telus' network, but I've been told this phone does not get LTE with providers in North America.

Are these bands indeed compatible with Telus' network? It's a phone based in Shenzhen marketed only for Chinese networks, so I'm starting to have doubts as I'm not very knowledgable in networking.

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Also, what does 'not working' mean exactly?

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello,

1: Please go to www.willmyphonework.net to see if your phone is compatible with Public Mobile. The IMEI checker is known to give false positives.
2: Is your phone unlocked, or locked to Koodo or Telus? If it requires unlocking, two reputable unlocking services are located at www.cellphoneunlocker.net and
www.quickphoneunlock.com
3: Does your self-serve account say that status is active? If not, you must first pay for a plan while proceeding through the steps at
activate.publicmobile.ca
4: Have you configured your phone's APN to conform with the network settings of Public Mobile? If not, look for the Knowledge Base Articles, on the left side of the page, in the full/computer version. The last article is called Setting Up Data on Your Phone. Click it and choose the operating system of your phone. Follow the instructions.
5: You said that you purchased a SIM card. Public Mobile does not sell SIM cards. Are you certain that you are posting in the forum of the right carrier?

6: Under Settings, check to ensure that your phone is not set at 2G. It must be 3G or LTE.
7: Remember to reboot your phone. 80% of all problems are solved when the phone is rebooted.

I look forward to your reply.

jia_aamir
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I am entering my IMEI number it showa my phone will work with PM but I purchased Sim and now its not working I switch alrady from my carrier what to do

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Great choice, @JeanPierre23, that battery life should be amazing!  If they made a verison with 2GB of ram instead of 1 and 16GB (or more) of storage instead of 8, I'd be all over it like a dirty shirt!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Awesome - thanks for letting us know, @JeanPierre23! Hope you enjoy the new phone - please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions in the future.

JeanPierre23

Hi everybody,

Thanks for answering so quickly. I was not awared the PM community was that awesome! I finally chose the Blu Energy X Plus. It has great battery life and is way cheaper than the honor 5x. I did my research and it should work on the PM network. 

Thank you and have a great day.

srlawren

@JeanPierre23 please keep us posted when you get your new phone, which one you picked and how you like it.  We would love to hear your experiences with the 5X or whatever phone you land on.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @JeanPierre23,

I have two 2013 Moto G units and one 2015 Moto G phone. The submodel of the 2015 device is XT1540. If possible, buy it outright from Telus as it costs $230, but locked. The phone sold by Staples is unlocked. If you need an unlocking service, two reputable companies are located at www.cellunlocker.net and www.quickphoneunlock.com.

The 2015 phone has no bloatware; the phone is stock Android except for 2 very helpful Motorola apps. My phone, from August 2015, came with Lollipop 5.1.1. As you may have heard, the battery tends to discharge too quickly. Marshmallow has been available for awhile, and I'm still pondering whether to upgrade to eliminate the battery problem, but perhaps encounter new ones.

The speaker, which is in front, is in mono only. The radio comes with an FM radio app; listening to it requires a headset with a jack for a standard 3.5 mm USB port. The cord acts as the antenna.

If you want further information, google "gsmarena.com 2015 moto g".

Should you have any questions about the 2015 Moto G, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to address them.

Cheers.

@JeanPierre23 Noticed Moto G 3rd gen now available from Staples for $299. Not sure how well it compares for you, but it regularly gets good reviews.

Happy hunting.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @JaK,

You're welcome.

Cheers!

srlawren

@JeanPierre23 this is timely -- Android Authority compared the Honor 5X vs. the Blu Vivo 5 today:

http://www.androidauthority.com/blu-vivo-5-vs-honor-5x-676957/

It sounds like in most ways they prefer the Vivo 5, FYI.  If you're interested, Amazon.ca carries the Vivo 5 for $270 Canadian:  https://www.amazon.ca/BLU-Vivo-Smartphone-5-5-Inch-Unlocked-32GB-Plus/dp/B01AH1BXJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT... or https://www.amazon.ca/BLU-Vivo-Smartphone-5-5-Inch-Unlocked-32GB-Plus/dp/B01AH1BXJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...  You can also get it from amazon.com, and probably other places (maybe newegg.ca?  I didn't look).

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @Martin 

Thanks for the correction, I missed it before but do see it there now.

JaK

Hi @Martin

Thanks for the correction, I missed it before but do see it there now.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @JaK,

A slight clarification is in order.

In your 11:59 am EDT post, you stated that PM is not listed as a carrier at www.willmyphonework.net. I just rechecked the site, using my 2015 Moto G as an example. Public Mobile was indeed listed, between Primus and Rogers.

FYI.

srlawren
Hi @JeanPierre23, yes the 5x has you covered for everything public mobile has to offer. Excellent choice and I was considering it recently too. I think I'm ultimately going to get a Moto X Play instead, but the Honor had great value!

JeanPierre23

Hi,

@Luddite The phone is the Honor 5X model KIW-L24 from Huawei. It says on the newegg.ca website that it the network is compatible with: GSM networks including AT&T, T-Mobile, MetroPCS, Cricket, Straight Talk, AT&T Go Phone, Wal-Mart Family Mobile, Consumer Cellular, Net10 Wireless, Simple Mobile, GoSmart Mobile, Red Pocket Mobile, CampusSIMs, Ultra Mobile, EcoMobile, Lyca Mobile, Univision Mobile, Ting.

Here's the link again, maybe it will work this time.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875606072&cm_re=honor_5x-_-75-606-072-_-Product

Thank you.

JaK

Hi @JeanPierre23 

If you go to the http://willmyphonework.net/ site mentioned in a previous post, you will find this phone under Huawei. Since PM isn't listed yet under the Canadian carriers, just use Telus (as PM is owed by Telus and uses the Telus network). Anyway, the site indicates that the phone is compatible with Telus 3G and 4G, so it should work.

Hope this helps.

@JeanPierre23 In future you will get better response by posting a new thread rather than adding to an old one.

The link you provided goes nowhere for me. Post the make/model and we may be able to help. Also have a look at the very beginning of this thread and try checking your phone at WillMyPhoneWork.net - Check if your phone works on a ...

JeanPierre23

Hi, 

I'm currently a PM client and I want to change phone. Howerver, I would like to know if this new phone I'm thinking of buying will work? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875606072  

JeanPierre23

Hi, 

I'm currently a PM client and I want to change phone. Howerver, I would like to know if this new phone I'm thinking of buying will work? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875606072 

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

I'm glad that your phone is compatible.

Welcome to Public Mobile!

Katrina99999

Thanks, it's seems to work. 

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

At first glance, I would say "yes" to your phone working on the PM network.

Better still, why not go to www.willmyphonework.net to check there for yourself.

Cheers.

Katrina99999

I want to buy a phone and i want to know if it will work.

GSM quad band 4G HSPA+(850/1700/1900)

thanks

@rajibborua wrote:

Hi,

I wanted to use my Iphone 4 which was previously used by rogers sim. I checked my IMEI with PM's website which indicates that I can use my PM sim.

But My iphone does not get PM's network after inserting PM's sim.

Can you please suggest me what to do? 

Hi @rajibborua,

I want to confirm: Do you have an active account tied to that SIM? Because if not, then you will not be able latch on to the Telus/PM network using that SIM.

srlawren

@rajibborua a phone that was workng on Koodo (or Telus Mobility) previously *should* work on Public Mobile without any need to unlock, so your friend's phone sounds like a good solution! 

rajibborua

Thanks Shazia and Luddite!

My phone is not worthy enough to factory unlock. I may try my sim with my friend' s koodo iphone 4s. If it works, then problem solved!

@rajibborua As Shazia indicated your phone is almost certainly locked to Rogers. You can unlock it through Rogers or other providers such as http://protechparts.ca/products/rogers-fido-iphone-unlock-1-24hrs?variant=909087775, ($65) which I have used successfully twice.

You should also be aware that getting data set up on iPhone 4 cannot be done manually; likely you will need to use http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/ from your phone's browser.

If can afford it you could consider upgrading tp iPhone 5 or 5s from https://publicmobile.getorchard.com or https://www.getorchard.com

Good luck.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @rajibborua,

Can you confirm if your phone is unlocked? The IMEI verification link only confirms that the phone can be used on our network but you have to make sure the phone is unlocked. 

Can you confirm?

Thanks,

Shazia. 

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.
Need Help? Let's chat.