cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: How do I know if my phone will work on the Public Mobile network?

@sheytoon I just quit the app, it has been running for many hours now with nothing new.I had overlooked that all teh mesages were prefeced by RRC though! Here is a screen shot of what I am seeing:

Screenshot_20190104-162545.png

I have sent the Mods another message iquiering about "confirming the status of SIM provisioning", but I am a am afraid that I am out of my league and not sure I can ask overly inteigent questions or provide usfull details yet! Smiley Happy

I am hoping to be able to try the SIM in my sister or brothers phone when I see them next Thursday as they have working Public Mobile acounts (and their SIMs in my phone). Hopfully I can find another phone to borrow befor that!

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Oh you definitely don't need to run it for more than a few seconds if the app is working correctly! Here's a sample from my phone:

Screenshot_20190104-200748.png

I ended up filtered out a lot of the messaging (paging, RRC messaging, etc), just to focus on the attach procedure. To do this, I filtered only for NAS > EMM messages.

This shows the attach sequence. You can see clearly with my SIM, the first thing is my phone sends ATTACH REQUEST to network (orange direction is uplink: phone to network; blue direction is downlink: network to phone).

Then network asks me to authenticate myself in the AUTHENTICATION REQUEST message. I respond, and network moves to establish security for NAS messaging (messages exchanged between phone and Telus core network. These become encrypted such that even the base station cannot read their contents after this point).

After the security procedure is done, I am eventually given ATTACH ACCEPT and am allowed to set up bearers (sort of like tunnels) with the network. Once I'm done doing that, I send ATTACH COMPLETE message and the procecure is finished.

The very last message is me enabling airplane mode, which actually is the phone requesting a DETACH from the network Smiley Happy

@sheytoon thankyou for that lesson! Very intoresting. Having a screenshot of what it should look liek helps it make a lot more sence now!

My big achivment for today was that I was able to test the SIM on a Galaxy S8 today. It showed full bars but also returned the "Couldn't find network. Try Again Latter." message. So I am glad I didn't try buying a new phone yet!

Edit: Should I not have at least recived an email confirming my SIM registration?

Well this conclusively shows the SIM is not provisioned (activated) properly.

I don't remember if you get a confirmation email. It's been so long for me. Guess you'll need a new SIM or a moderator to help fix the activation problems. Good luck!

I guess I forgot to wrap thigns up! Once the Mod checked the SIM activation he discovered that the "SIM card status [was] not active" even though there was a "fully active Public Mobile account with a completed port request"! The Mod submited an activation request and 48 hours latter the SIM did indeed activate fully an all is now workign wonderfully! Thanks all, especialy @sheytoon for you help!

That's great, happy to hear your issue is resolved!

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

When you activate your phone on PM, the website asks for the IMEI number of the phone. Here, PM verifies the compatibility of the phone.

Alternatively, you can also check here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

Thank you,

MJ23

@MJ23 wrote:

When you activate your phone on PM, the website asks for the IMEI number of the phone. Here, PM verifies the compatibility of the phone.

Alternatively, you can also check here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

Thank you,

MJ23

I wouldn't trust the accuracy of checking compatibility with Public Mobile's tool.  It has mistakes, more so than some other online checking tools.  Telus's tool once told me that my Nokia E73 was compatible when it has neither 850 nor 1900MHz 3g.  I'll bet that the database still has that same mistake and that was years ago that I noticed that one.

Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

I wouldn't trust the accuracy of checking compatibility with Public Mobile's tool.  It has mistakes, more so than some other online checking tools.  Telus's tool once told me that my Nokia E73 was compatible when it has neither 850 nor 1900MHz 3g.  I'll bet that the database still has that same mistake and that was years ago that I noticed that one.

@MJ23 the community recommends using https://www.willmyphonework.net.  It is missing some phone models, but the ones it does have are generally FAR more accurate than Public Mobile's own IMEI checeker.  When your phone is missing from willmyphonework, post here and community members can help hunt down the specs and determine compatibility.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.