cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How come when I call outside my city I hear the warning "long distance charges may apply"?

gumgok
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all,

I have gotten a plan with Public Mobile where there is unlimited Canada-wide calls. However, when I make a call outside my city to another part of Canada, I hear a recording that "long distance charges may apply"? What's up with this? 

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

For the record, any call not deemed 'local' on a landline (really, your current local calling rules) is a long-distance call.  It doesn't matter if your plan is Province-wide or Canada-wide, if you dial it incorrect (with or without the 1), the system will flip you over, and make the correct dialling instruction for you.

If you do not wish to hear this message, put +1 in front of all your contacts.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@krazykiwi wrote:

Actually with PM it is reasonably safe to put 1 in front of all your numbers and not receive the warning ever. No overages with PM so the only way it would be bad is if you have a province only calling plan and long distance add - on. Only in this situation will you get charged for accidentally making a long distance call when not intending to. 

That's actually good to know. I thought on the province wide plans you just could not call outside period without the add-on. So putting the 1 in front makes it a standard rate long distance? That seems weird for a prepaid service to have a post-paid element, but it is still good to know. Thank you for that. It would be useful for my mother when I am travelling for work.

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

Actually with PM it is reasonably safe to put 1 in front of all your numbers and not receive the warning ever. No overages with PM so the only way it would be bad is if you have a province only calling plan and long distance add - on. Only in this situation will you get charged for accidentally making a long distance call when not intending to. 

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@gumgok unfortunately this is an automated system that just won't go away.  I'm not really understanding why it comes on, but all you need to do is just ignore it and stay on the phone, don't hang up, as soon as the automated system finishes then it'll dial the number and connect the call.  Public Mobile (PM) is a prepaid service provider so you won't be able to do anything that is outside of your plan, which means there's nothing to worry about, there's no such thing as long distance charges, or additional charges, or overage charges.  Once you try and do something that your plan does not offer then it just won't work.  Try making a long distance call outside of North America without purchasing the long distance add-on, your phone just won't connect.  

@gumgok wrote:

Okay. Does it make a difference if I just call the number without dialing 1 versus dialing 1 before the number? Is it the same in the end? Or is there no difference?

There is no difference except you shouldn’t get the warning if you use the 1. 

@gumgok wrote:

Okay. Does it make a difference if I just call the number without dialing 1 versus dialing 1 before the number? Is it the same in the end? Or is there no difference?

@gumgok  No difference.

gumgok
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@gumgok wrote:

Hi all,

I have gotten a plan with Public Mobile where there is unlimited Canada-wide calls. However, when I make a call outside my city to another part of Canada, I hear a recording that "long distance charges may apply"? What's up with this? 

Thanks.

@gumgok  You can ignore that message. It is also recommeded to add a 1 in front of all your numbers in your contacts.

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@gumgok  You are fine.If the call does go through there will be no extra charges because every service is completely prepaid. Just add 1 before the number. So that you won't hear that annoying message. 

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@gumgok wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks.

You need to put a “1” in front of the long distance numbers you are calling. 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@gumgok as long as calls go through then disregard  you will not be charged any extra then what you have paid no surprise bills here it's pre  paid

Need Help? Let's chat.