cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I check whether my number/sim is transferred successfully?

mchuahua
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The activation portal only says alternate number in case if something goes wrong. 

Do I just call my number and if its not working on my old sim, that means it works with the public mobile sim?

20 REPLIES 20

@geopublic wrote:

@mchuahua wrote:

The activation portal only says alternate number in case if something goes wrong. 

Do I just call my number and if its not working on my old sim, that means it works with the public mobile sim?

@mchuahua If your old sim stops working that means you number was ported over.

@geopublic I'm not so sure that is the best test given the odd customer who's port fails and loses service on both carriers. Perhaps popping's suggestion plus an incoming text is optimum but, unfortunately, requires access to another active cell phone? 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@darlicious wrote:

@CannonFodder  I included you because you were in on the original conversation

Ok, I see why you included me in that comment.... guess it's not that you were under the impression that I agreed with @hairbag1  that a call center in Canada was economically viable.

however if you prefer to be ignored I will make sure to do that in future conversations when the discussion does not pertain to your sole comments. I was taught that shutting someone out of a conversation to only concentrate on one part of it was impolite implying that your opinion is not worthwhile.

Do I want to be ignored..... no. Do I want you to make it appear as though I was agreeing with something I never mentioned.... no.... BUT, I DO see how you were looking at it, and simply putting the "@CannonFodder" was including me in the conversation. While we do end up in "conversations", of sorts, on here, this is an online forum, and directing comments at various people, or the thread, in general, can sometimes get tricky with how something appears, whether it's intended the way it's perceived, or not.  You don't need to worry about "shutting me out" of a conversation, and me thinking you're ignoring me, simply by leaving out an "@CannonFodder".... after all, it IS a public forum, and I can read all the posts and reply if necessary.

Where as if you were no longer interested in continuing the discussion as it no longer pertained to your initial comments or the point you were trying to get across you could quietly withdraw as @hairbag1 has chosen to do.

Well, maybe @hairbag1  simply went to bed, although I suppose you could call that "quietly withdrawing". Smiley Wink

@CannonFodder  I included you because you were in on the original conversation however if you prefer to be ignored I will make sure to do that in future conversations when the discussion does not pertain to your sole comments. I was taught that shutting someone out of a conversation to only concentrate on one part of it was impolite implying that your opinion is not worthwhile. Where as if you were no longer interested in continuing the discussion as it no longer pertained to your initial comments or the point you were trying to get across you could quietly withdraw as @hairbag1 has chosen to do.

@darlicious wrote:

@CannonFodder  @hairbag1  I beg to differ...

@CannonFodder  Perhaps you misunderstood what I was "differing" about. My comments were not referring to ESL or ones command of the English language with an accent or i would have quoted those comments

Actually @darlicious , it appears that you misunderstood, i.e. you lumped me in with @hairbag1 's comment about having a call center in Canada, but I never said anything about that - my comment was only about speaking English. I did say I understood why many companies outsource....

@darlicious wrote:

@hairbag1  wrote : Agreed. You're right about the almighty dollar...but I don't think it would cost that much more to have the call centers located in Canada somewhere...although understanding newfy talk can be challenging as well. !!  Smiley LOL

@CannonFodder  @hairbag1  I beg to differ...as much as I prefer call centres to be located in Canada employing all Canadians, landed immigrants, permanent residents and refugees it's not an equal playing field when the average minimum annual wage salary here is $24k and in India, Nicaragua, and the Philippines approximately 10% of that amount between $2k and $2.5 k annually.  That is why they are being outsourced at an alarming rate because companies like telus, bell and Rogers answer to their shareholders not the Canadian public. Then again public mobile doesn't need to outsource at all as the majority of its customer service staff work for a couple of dollars a month with the fat cats at the top taking a whole $20 a month. Do I hear a call for a union? Strike! Strike! Strike!

@CannonFodder  Perhaps you misunderstood what I was "differing" about. My comments were not referring to ESL or ones command of the English language with an accent or i would have quoted those comments and directly addressed them. My point was the reasoning behind the big three outsourcing call centres versus keeping them in Canada along with the jobs they provide and the subsequent economic growth it creates. Being that they are driven by the almighty dollar saving 90% on salaries and lower capital costs in third world countries would make creating the same call centre 'somewhere" in Canada while not impossible but by comparison prohibitively expensive. It's the same reason public mobile with its cheap plans exists because they've eliminated the high overhead cost of a call centre here or anywhere....cost savings not withstanding.

@AE_Collector  Geez, even CEOs don't get 150% raises - you're definitely overpaid!!! 😝 

I got $400 strike pay every 2 weeks in 2005 I think ... or was it every week? 

in any event, I only get $5/month here lately and that's after a 150% raise from $2!

AE_Collector

@darlicious wrote:

@CannonFodder  @hairbag1  I beg to differ...

HEY, you can beg all ya want, but you can't differ(or at least you shouldn't) with me on this, because I was simply saying that wherever that sort of thing is outsourced to, they NEED to make sure their CSRs know English well enough to be understandable.

Then again public mobile doesn't need to outsource at all as the majority of its customer service staff work for a couple of dollars a month with the fat cats at the top taking a whole $20 a month. Do I hear a call for a union? Strike! Strike! Strike!

Hellz yeah - LET'S DO IT!!! 😆 

@AE_Collector  I worked two blocks away at the time I remember it well. I worked at a little Italian place up from the Wedgwood on Hornby. Served mostly lawyers, judges, plaintiffs and defendants I sure was privy to some interesting conversations.

At least we are onshore though it's about time for us to head offshore somewhere, preferably warm and soon!

I went through three strike/lockouts totalling 13 months on the picket lineman my 37 1/2 year career at the phone company. 

Bus stop sign right beside the Telus HQ building entrance downtown Vancouver Seymour At Robison, summer 2005. (Lockout)

0E6027B4-3CF6-4C23-9910-5E2A6EE5B463.jpeg

@hairbag1  wrote : Agreed. You're right about the almighty dollar...but I don't think it would cost that much more to have the call centers located in Canada somewhere...although understanding newfy talk can be challenging as well. !!  Smiley LOL

@CannonFodder  @hairbag1  I beg to differ...as much as I prefer call centres to be located in Canada employing all Canadians, landed immigrants, permanent residents and refugees it's not an equal playing field when the average minimum annual wage salary here is $24k and in India, Nicaragua, and the Philippines approximately 10% of that amount between $2k and $2.5 k annually.  That is why they are being outsourced at an alarming rate because companies like telus, bell and Rogers answer to their shareholders not the Canadian public. Then again public mobile doesn't need to outsource at all as the majority of its customer service staff work for a couple of dollars a month with the fat cats at the top taking a whole $20 a month. Do I hear a call for a union? Strike! Strike! Strike!

🤣 @hairbag1  Maybe worse......

@CannonFodder wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

@mchuahua wrote:

exactly what I thought. thanks everyone for responding so quickly!

Looks like your question was asked and answered in about 5 minutes. That's faster than dialling a call center and talking to someone in new delhi with limited english skills. (Not dissing new delhi at all)

No, of course not, but "limited English skills" SHOULD be dissed, ESPECIALLY when that customer service is to service predominantly English speaking customers. 🙄  I know it's the almighty dollar that drives such things, but if companies are doing that sort of thing, they really need to make sure their CSRs can be understood.

Agreed. You're right about the almighty dollar...but I don't think it would cost that much more to have the call centers located in Canada somewhere...although understanding newfy talk can be challenging as well. !!  Smiley LOL

@hairbag1 wrote:

@mchuahua wrote:

Looks like your question was asked and answered in about 5 minutes. That's faster than dialling a call center and talking to someone in new delhi with limited english skills. (Not dissing new delhi at all)

No, of course not, but "limited English skills" SHOULD be dissed, ESPECIALLY when that customer service is to service predominantly English speaking customers. 🙄  I know it's the almighty dollar that drives such things, but if companies are doing that sort of thing, they really need to make sure their CSRs can be understood.

I would usually get Nicaragua or the Philippines when I would call I don't think I ever got India.

@mchuahua wrote:

mchuahua
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mchuahua wrote:

Another way to confirm your port.  Call your number from another phone, if your PM SIM answer the call.  Your port is completed.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

If you can't use your old sim the Port is complete

Welcome to public

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@mchuahua wrote:

@mchuahua If your old sim stops working that means you number was ported over.

Need Help? Let's chat.