cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much For Roaming?

chobo2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi

I am looking at the $10 / month plan. How much would it be per minute if I was roaming in the USA? Also do I have to add mintues ahead of time?

4 REPLIES 4

Camelia_M
Customer Support Agent

Happy to help! Robot Happy

All the plans and add-ons can be found on our Public Mobile website:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@chobo2 yes unfortunately you would need to purchase it every time (unless the consecutive trips are within a 10 day period).  It's not great for folks that live near a border and make frequent day trips or overnighters, for sure.

If you don't purchase any US roaming add-ons, while in the USA you will get no data service, you will be able to receive incoming texts but not be able to reply to them, any incoming calls will go to your voicemail, and any attempts to make an outbound call will fail.  The only exception to that last point is dailing 911, which will work from any phone that can make a connection to a tower, regardless of plan status.  That won't help you get a tow truck unfortunately, but in an emergency at least there's that I guess.

EDIT: I should add--the "sweet spot" for value on these roaming options is really a 5-10 day trip to the US. Also, there are no roaming options for any other destinations.  So if you travel to Mexico, Central or South America, or overseas anywhere, you will get no service at all.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

chobo2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@srlawren wrote:

@chobo2 wrote:

Hi

I am looking at the $10 / month plan. How much would it be per minute if I was roaming in the USA? Also do I have to add mintues ahead of time?

@chobo2 public mobile is entirely pre-paid, so there are no "per minute" or "pay per use" rates for anything.

For roaming in the USA, you can purchase 1 (or more) of a few different roaming "add-ons".  These add-ons start immediately once purchased, and expire at the end (midnight eastern time zone) of the 10th day, with the purchase day counting as day 1 no matter what time you purchase on that day.

For voice calls only, the US Roaming Talk add-on is $8 and will give you 10 days of unlimited calling to Canadian and US phone numbers (with a few exception exchanges in the US, there's a list somewhere) and unlimited incoming calls while you're in the US.

There is also a US Roaming Texting add-on for $8 which gives you unlimted texting in the USA for 10 days.  There is a US Roaming talk + text bundle for $15 (saves you $1 over buying them both individually).  There are also 250mb, 500mb, and 1gb US Roaming data add-ons at $10, $15, and $20 respectively, and a $20 bundle that includes US Roaming Talk, US Roaming Texting, and US Roaming 250MB data.

@srlawren 

hmm, the prices is not bad, but was hoping that I could load just some minutes on that don't expire as I do many day trips to the USA. What happens if my car would break down and I need to make an emergancy call for a tow truck. What would I do? Everytime I go to the USA I got to add this 10day plan on? 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@chobo2 wrote:

Hi

@chobo2 public mobile is entirely pre-paid, so there are no "per minute" or "pay per use" rates for anything.

For roaming in the USA, you can purchase 1 (or more) of a few different roaming "add-ons".  These add-ons start immediately once purchased, and expire at the end (midnight eastern time zone) of the 10th day, with the purchase day counting as day 1 no matter what time you purchase on that day.

For voice calls only, the US Roaming Talk add-on is $8 and will give you 10 days of unlimited calling to Canadian and US phone numbers (with a few exception exchanges in the US, there's a list somewhere) and unlimited incoming calls while you're in the US.

There is also a US Roaming Texting add-on for $8 which gives you unlimted texting in the USA for 10 days.  There is a US Roaming talk + text bundle for $15 (saves you $1 over buying them both individually).  There are also 250mb, 500mb, and 1gb US Roaming data add-ons at $10, $15, and $20 respectively, and a $20 bundle that includes US Roaming Talk, US Roaming Texting, and US Roaming 250MB data.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.