cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot

Pmarshall
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How much data do I need to run wifi on my IPad using a hotspot from my IPHONE? I don’t watch movies, I read, use Google, non-video games. I currently have 4 GB. Is it possible to do this long term?

6 REPLIES 6

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@Pmarshall 4 GB should be plenty if you aren't streaming videos. Don't worry about overage charges, your data will stop working when you have used it all but you won't be charged for more unless you deliberately buy an addon. If you need more data per month you can always change your plan.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Pmarshall , 4GB is doable for intermittent use only.  I have tablets with cellular data and 3GB usage.  The cellular data gets used when there's no WiFi.  An intense session can burn 500 MB easily.  

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Pmarshall  hi if you don't watch movies play games etc that 4 gigs will easily last you a month, as stated above only do your updates if you are on wifi 

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Make sure the device running on the wifi hotspot knows you are using a metered connection, otherwise it could download updates and other useless stuff that will quickly eat into your quota.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Running a hotspot off your phone should use very little more data than running your phone itself. You're phone will draw any data that it does when it's sitting on your counter and the ipad will likely draw a similar amount plus any data you use.

Make sure you shut off all unused apps on both devices as these will add to the background draw.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@PmarshallAny amount of data will allow you to run your iPhone as a hotspot. The connection will just end if your iPad & iPhone combination use up your 4Gb of data.

Need Help? Let's chat.