cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HotSpot Not working

RobertM24
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I joined Public Mobile on the weekend and despite quite a bit of research, I have not found a way to get hotspots to work (even though the second device says it is connected).

I found an older thread where individuals were talking about changing the APN settings (particularily with a focus on adding "dunn"), however, my phone does not allow me to add new APNs or change existing ones.

Any other ideas for next steps? This was a fairly important feature for me, so I am hoping to figure it out.

On Android 9 btw

11 REPLIES 11

@RobertM24 wrote:

@hycm53 wrote: There is a small app can add new APN on Android phone. I used it for my Asus Zonfone 4 Max to add new APN. If you need it send message to me.

Another suggesting is turn off data saver on your phone.

Is the app the one from RFD? "MyNewAPN"? I installed this, removed the sim card and restarted and it still doesn't work. Maybe it's specific to my phone?

Unfortunately, data saver is off already.

If the app is different, I'd be happy to try it as well

Yes, It's called "MyNewAPN_test". I think it's the same as you said.

Was your phone originally on Android 8.1 and then upgraded to 9? Here's a link involving APN problems with an Umidigi 3 https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/android-8-1-apn-settings/td-p/357072

@RobertM24 wrote:

@Staliger wrote:

What is your phone? I've just checked my SIM with Redmi Note 8 and Galaxy J1. They both create and connect to hotspots easily and internet is working for a connected device.

It's a Umidigi A5 Pro. 

RobertM24

@Staliger wrote:

What is your phone? I've just checked my SIM with Redmi Note 8 and Galaxy J1. They both create and connect to hotspots easily and internet is working for a connected device.

It's a Umidigi A5 Pro. 

RobertM24

@hycm53 wrote: There is a small app can add new APN on Android phone. I used it for my Asus Zonfone 4 Max to add new APN. If you need it send message to me.

Is the app the one from RFD? "MyNewAPN"? I installed this, removed the sim card and restarted and it still doesn't work. Maybe it's specific to my phone?

Unfortunately, data saver is off already.

If the app is different, I'd be happy to try it as well

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@RobertM24 wrote:

I joined Public Mobile on the weekend and despite quite a bit of research, I have not found a way to get hotspots to work (even though the second device says it is connected).

I found an older thread where individuals were talking about changing the APN settings (particularily with a focus on adding "dunn"), however, my phone does not allow me to add new APNs or change existing ones.

Any other ideas for next steps? This was a fairly important feature for me, so I am hoping to figure it out.

On Android 9 btw

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@RobertM24 wrote:

Another suggesting is turn off Data Saver on your phone.

On Android 9 btw

There is a small app can add new APN on Android phone. I used it for my Asus Zonfone 4 Max to add new APN. If you need it send message to me.

@RobertM24 I can't say for sure that it works universally. You could ask a friend to borrow one and insert it into your phone, or go to a kiosk, explain your situation and ask nicely for an old one to insert in your phone.

@RobertM24 wrote:

@gblackma wrote:

@RobertM24  inserting a freedom mobile SIM allows you to change your apn settings when other Sims, including PM Sims don't.

Does this work universally?

I definitely do appreciate the input, but I hoping to be reasonably sure before I spend money on the solution.

RobertM24

@gblackma wrote:

@RobertM24  inserting a freedom mobile SIM allows you to change your apn settings when other Sims, including PM Sims don't.

Does this work universally?

I definitely do appreciate the input, but I hoping to be reasonably sure before I spend money on the solution.

RobertM24

@iPhoneUser wrote:

Just to be clear. You have set up YOUR Android to be the HOTSPOT? If yes, did you assign a password for it?

Correct. The device with the PM sim card is Android 9.

I did set up a password when I created the hotspot.

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@RobertM24 wrote:

On Android 9 btw

Just to be clear. You have set up YOUR Android to be the HOTSPOT? If yes, did you assign a password for it?

Need Help? Let's chat.