cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi everyone, I am moving from Chatr and have not activated the Public Mobile sim card yet

Ace9999
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I am currently a Chatr customer and my Public Mobile sim card will be arriving next week.

To ensure the porting process of my existing number from Chatr to Public Mobile goes smooth, I just wanted to ask you guys for your input.  I called Chatr and got my account number and I will definitely not cancel my Chatr plan.  I guess that is the only significant piece of information that I need to provide during the Public Mobile sim online activation process, right?  (along with name, address, *current chatr phone number*, etc...)

Thank you in advance 

10 REPLIES 10

@Ace9999 wrote:

Thanks so much for your reply.  I read the steps in that link you provided.  Thanks to everyone who replied to my post as well

@Ace9999  Relax, take your time and everything should go smoothly. When you're finished and all ported over please give us an update on how it went. If you feel one members advice served you well and would help others please choose them as the solution.

Ace9999
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks so much for your reply.  I read the steps in that link you provided.  Thanks to everyone who replied to my post as well

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Ace9999  Suggest reviewing this: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/BE-PREPARED/m-p/112014#M20827 . I'm in the "hope for the best, plan for the worst" camp.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@darlicious more coffee never hurts, lol.

@Ace9999 I think you've got a handle on your Chatr-to-PM migration. The adcice above is sound: keep your Chatr service active, get your PM service running with a temp phone number, then request the number port. It usually only takes minutes, it can take hours or days (my personal experience, several times, is that Rogers is aggressively reluctant to relinquish customers, but they are nonetheless legally obligated to comply). Incomplete number port may cause incoming and outgoing calls to reach different numbers (or simply be lost) for a while. If you don't qualify for promo/referral credits, etc, but don't get them immediately then don't panic, just chat with Simon or msg the PM Mods to get it all sorted out. Good luck! 

@mimmo  did you not have coffee yet when you answered that post? Lol!

@Ace9999  Good luck with your switch to public mobile if youre worried about your port you can always choose a temporary number and port your chatter number after your pm service is up and running. This may be a concern with the current promos but it is the time of your activation not when your port is complete when it comes to qualifying for promotions. There are to current promos which end sept 30th (11:59pm et). Not sure what @mimmo  is talking about but I think he is thinking of the elimination of the $10 plan originally ending Oct 4th now Oct 7th. 

Anyhow keep in mind the bonus refer a friend credit applies to $25+ plans. You get a $20 credit your referring friend $10. Be sure to put their referral code in the box on the first activation page. If you are interested in a $40+ plan you can also use the rbc promo as well. As follows with the referral bonus: Activate online, choose a $40+ plan, enter RBCREWARDS in the promo code box on the pick a plan page, you will see the plan immediately reduce by $10, pay with a credit card and set up autopay while you are at it. The rbc promo will give you $10 off your $40+ plan for 6 months and a 5gb data add on bonus (rolls over til done). Auto gives you $2 reward credit every month. Take your time during activation and be sure to clear your browser and use secret mode before you start to avoid any issues during activation and leave the apt/unit box blank and no saces in your postal code or phone number. Good luck and come to the community if you need help or have any questions.

@Ace9999 

My advice, since you have your Chatr account number, is to leave the Chatr account PIN, and Chatr IMEI fields blank (even if you do have both of those) when you do submit the number portability request.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@88cranston wrote:

As mentioned set up PM and try with the number they give you. There is an option to customize the last 4 digits. If you port your Chatr number, Chatr may close your account and you may forfeit your balance. 

@88cranston   the OP is planning on porting so there is no need to customize teh temp number.  and iwhen the  poster  ports chater will close the account. that the whole reason of porting out.  yes they will forefeit any account balance and any remaining time.

@Ace9999  when you activate PM make sure your chatter account has  3-4 days of time left in case you run into any issues.  if your chater account is suspeneded (unpaid) your port will not go through

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As mentioned set up PM and try with the number they give you. There is an option to customize the last 4 digits. If you port your Chatr number, Chatr may close your account and you may forfeit your balance. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ace9999   I would suggest activating with a public mobile assigned nubmer first once activated and everythinnng is runnning then loginto selfserve and port.  

yes porting only requres  account umber  tel number and ame on account exatly.

great you are doing home work.

dont forget about the current referal promo which ends oct 4- 5h i believe.

Need Help? Let's chat.