cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help

Ginucx
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
  • Me and my wife suscribe with public on saturday. We have inter et but not service. Can't make any calls. Does porting take this long? 
7 REPLIES 7

@kb_mv wrote:

@Ginucx wrote:
  • Me and my wife suscribe with public on saturday. We have inter et but not service. Can't make any calls. Does porting take this long? 

@Ginucx Normally it takes a matter of hours. Did you port from a landline? That can take a week. Did you respond to the text from your previous provider to authorize the port out?

Not being able to make calls wouldn't be a porting issues resulting form the other carrier rejecting the request. Outgoing calls work immediately. That doesn't mean that there still couldn't be an issue on Public Mobile's end, but that's not because of the number porting. This is more likely an account provisioning issue, or as Luddite was mentioning, the possibility of being because of an inability to the connect to the HSPA network that's required for voice service.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Ginucx  You should still be able to make calls as soon as you activated your sim even if you are porting your number from another provider. Best to click on the chat bot icon and submit a ticket to Public and all them to investigate.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Ginucx wrote:

See other posts about porting...in the meantime, try one or more of the below:

*rebooting your phone

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reboot your phone again

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hello @Ginucx 

Welcome to public mobile

When you say you have internet do I mean data or wifi?

If your phones show no service they mostly likely are locked

Your previous provider must unlock them for free

Even if you port you should be able to call and text out, only incoming part is affected this is why I suspect your phone may have been locked.

Contact your previous provider a ask them to help you unlock it

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Ginucx  Couple of items to check:

- set your phone to 3g instead of LTE/4g, in case your phones have trouble switching

- tell us make/model of the phones; there are some phones which work on LTE/4G for data but cannot use the 3g frequencies for calling.

FYI: Network Frequencies at PM

• 4G LTE/LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz; 2100 MHz downlink with 1700 MHz uplink (AWS). PM throttles speed on these to 3 mbps.

• HSPA (3G): 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS). N.B. Must have these for calls to work. Texting and data also work on the 3G frequencies.

Public Mobile has partnered with willmyphone work as the new compatibility checker. If you can’t find your make and/ or model here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started, provide feedback directly https://willmyphonework.net/Home/ContactUs.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Ginucx wrote:

Edit: As pointed out by @computergeek541 further down, the info I gave is not germane to the issues experienced by the OP.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ginucx wrote:

Depends where you're porting from. Some are quick. Some can take days.

Usually with porting you can still use the old service keeping the old SIM in. Then when it stops then you know you can switch over to the new one.

Usually with porting the outgoing calls and texts would work but not incoming until complete.

Need Help? Let's chat.