cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help my public moblie sim won't work

natashanw
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I recently tried to transfer my old virgin mobile number to public mobile. It didn't work, and I didn't have the option to set up a PIN code so i can't call anyone for help. how can I set up a PIN? my account is active but I can't use the service.

24 REPLIES 24

DebMacD
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does your phone actually take a SMI card

I discovered that my LG 700 doesn’t take a SMI card 

natashanw

Thank you, I'll call Telus again. 

@natashanw 

No, Virgin Mobile is not associated with Telus.  Telus is the parent company of Koodo and Public Mobile.

natashanw

No I'm not here for entertainment.🙁 Let me explain to you why Telus. The day i tried to set up my PM sim was the day Virginmobile deactivated my sim card. so when I tried to transfer the number it failed. I called virgin mobile to reactive the account so they put me through to Telus So I guess they are associated with virginmobile? anyway,  that was all done. Once i got the text asking if I'd like to transfer the number i said YES. the next day the virginmobile sim was deactivated so I assumed I could insert the new PM sim. 

@Anonymous for entertainment? 😂 😂 😂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RosieR : All valid thoughts. Then what's she doing here at all? I await further evidence.

@Anonymous why would she contact Telus for Public Mobile service issue? 

How did she hear of Public Mobile?  Did she go to the Public Mobile "Get help" page.  If she did, it would say

Contact us if you have an issue with your service

If you have an issue with your service, we’ll always strive to resolve it. You can submit a ticket to our team to let them know you're having a problem. If you have tried to resolve an issue without success you can take a look at further options.

Unless the OP has been hanging around the forums and got the Telus Porting Number from one of the posts, I don't know why a customer would get in touch with Telus directly.

What do you think?

RosieR

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RosieR : A valid theory. I was liking your failed activation theory but then remembered she said something about Virgin saying it was done. Maybe she spoke to the porting department??

@Anonymous the OP could not have possibly transferred the number to Public Mobile. 

OP said she's been talking to Telus reps, why Telus? 

I've already spoken to a moderator at Telus twice and both times I was told they couldn't help without access to my pin code. the problem is I didn't get or set up a pin code at the start. I was informed by my previous provider (virgin mobile) that the number was transferred. how do i get or set up a new pin?

Maybe her number was transferred to telus?  

RosieR

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RosieR : How would the number have transferred?

@natashanw wrote:

forgot to mention I activated it myself not instore

Hi @natashanw your activation failed.  If you activated your sim card using the Activation Portal, you would not have be able to advance to page 2 without creating a 4-digit PIN number, as shown by image below

New Activation Portal - Step 1 - Pin #.png

Since you had chosen an Accepted Solution by contacting the moderators, expect a reply within 2 - 48 hours (much faster reply recently).  Keep an eye on the envelope icon to top right for a number to pop up.... that would be the moderator's reply.

In the meantime, please go the Activation Portal and try to register your Public Mobile sim card.  If it takes the sim card number, then your sim card was never activated.  Continue filling out the page and you will be able to create your 4-digit PIN#

Please keep us posted.  thanks in advance

RosieR

@natashanw wrote:

i reinserted to virgin mobile sim to double-check it was no longer active and it's has. i put to PM sim back in and rebooted the phone and reset the network. now it says "No SIM card-No service" the strange thing is I was never asked to set up a pin code. 

@natashanw   You may need to contact moderators again to see why you're unable to connect to Public Mobile.  Use the links already provided to submit a ticket.  Good luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@natashanw : The box to enter your own PIN code was on both the old activation form and the new one. So it's a bit of a mystery as to why you didn't set up a PIN. You don't when you activate in a store though.

Is your phone dual-SIM? If so try the other spot. Did you check which network you're connecting to?

natashanw

i reinserted to virgin mobile sim to double-check it was no longer active and it's has. i put to PM sim back in and rebooted the phone and reset the network. now it says "No SIM card-No service" the strange thing is I was never asked to set up a pin code. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@natashanw : Then you would have made the PIN yourself during the activation. Can you check which mobile network you're attached to? Maybe you set to Virgin manually. Set it to auto and it will pick up the network belonging to the SIM...PM. Or do it manually for here too.

@natashanw wrote:

I inserted the PM sim in to my unblocked after i got the confirmation from virgin moblie that the number had been transferred to PM. I get a message saying mobile network not available.

@natashanw   Have you rebooted the phone/or toggled airplane mode on/off?  You may need to do a network reset too.

natashanw

forgot to mention I activated it myself not instore

natashanw

I inserted the PM sim in to my unblocked after i got the confirmation from virgin moblie that the number had been transferred to PM. I get a message saying mobile network not available.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@natashanw : Did you insert your PM SIM? Did you activate yourself or in a store? Is your phone unlocked? Do you get a message when you restart your phone after SIM insertion?

natashanw

I've already spoken to a moderator at Telus twice and both times I was told they couldn't help without access to my pin code. the problem is I didn't get or set up a pin code at the start. I was informed by my previous provider (virgin mobile) that the number was transferred. how do i get or set up a new pin?

@natashanw 

If you activated at a store, insert your Public Mobile SIM card to get your Public Mobile account PIN..  if you performed an online actibation, you would have been forced to pick a customized PIN.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@natashanw 

You will need to contact the PM moderator through SIMon chat bubble and ask to contact the moderator.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Also, @natashanw , if you need information on porting your number to Public Mobile, here's the information article:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

You'll need to contact a Moderator to do this:

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

Need Help? Let's chat.