cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble getting my phone to work.

Ruggybuggy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello

I'm having trouble getting my Samsung S5 working on the PM network.  My phone is unlocked and currently has a sim card from Bell and I'm located in Kenora Ontario.  I bought my PM sim card at a Walmart in Winnipeg MB and registered it on the PM network.  I used a new phone number and and selected the $10 plan in case it didn't work.  When I go onto the PM site my account shows active.  When I put the card in my phone I can not get it to work.  When I do a network search I see the Public Mobile displayed and if I chose it I get a messsage saying the network is not available, try again later.  When I go back I see the Telus network operators is selected when on the LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) but it changes to Bell when I select the WCDMA/GSM (auto connect).  I've tried powering off the phone and have removed the sim card and reinserted.  I've also gone as far as reseting my phone back to the factory default.  I've checked the IMEI number on PM and it shows my phone as compatible. 

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

36 REPLIES 36

Ruggybuggy

Excuse my ignorance but what is the Bellus network?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.  I just realized that my wife's iPhone is with Tbay tel.  I'll try to put her sim in my phone to see if my phone is locked.

Ruggybuggy

I bought the Samsung S5 a couple of years ago as an unlocked phone and it's always been on the Bell network.  How do I find out if somehow it's locked itself with Bell.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ruggybuggy:

Excellent details! Excellent troubleshooting!

Did you look on willmyphonework.net? Like which one of the various specific models is it?

Samsung have some notoriety for putting in their own lock. Apparently you have to talk to them. But I'm not sure if it's just locking to the first carrier and whether or not that carrier can do the unlock.

No need to be concerned about band compatibility.  We are talking about using the same network here.  You probably seen me refer to the Bellus network.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Ruggybuggy, is there a network reset function?  Many carrier phones seem to "lock onto" the previous carrier.  

Zhuoyu
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Have you checked if the phone is locked up to Bell?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ruggybuggy:

Excellent details! Excellent troubleshooting!

Did you look on willmyphonework.net? Like which one of the various specific models is it?

Samsung have some notoriety for putting in their own lock. Apparently you have to talk to them. But I'm not sure if it's just locking to the first carrier and whether or not that carrier can do the unlock.

Need Help? Let's chat.