cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP

Billionboat2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hi, i have had so many problems with phone company's, can you give me the low down on everything and why i should consider this company?

10 REPLIES 10

Gaullus
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The plans are cheaper than other providers, the flexibility is fantastic. They have real incentives for refering, loyalty, etc... in the form of bill discounts.  If you are worried about issues, I had a great experience when I signed up and had porting issues. The moderator I emailed got back to me in two hours, and had solved the issue within 15 minutes.  So far, my experience is very positive.

@ShawnC13 , @Billionboat2, and don't forget the lively discussions on the forum that will give you either positive (or maybe, some negative comments) to all your questions here. 

For the most part Billionboat2, for me, I was tired of these crazy contracts and fees, and I wanted to get a phone bill that could eventually be reduced in half. I have been with Telus and Fido for many years, and even though Public Mobile is part of the Telus family, I am still saving more than I have in the past.

The community forum will be your go-to help for the first go. Then the moderators, if it's going to be technical on your account. There is always someone online, but, depending on the experience, you may not get a piece of sufficient information until the sun comes up!

There are many people in the community who have been doing this forever (right Shawn?), and I have to say, they have been fairly helpful. Some may be sarcastic but helpful. 

Overall, do the research. You will find people on the forum who have had negative experiences and they leave. Public Mobile isn't for everyone. I get it. Some people prefer to deal with a real person (and depending on where you live, there are some kiosks that are Public Mobile, Richmond Shopping Centre and Metropolis in BC) have one. And even knowing that I still go online for my questions.

Whatever you do, if you do decide to come to Public Mobile, make sure your phone is still active with the other company, so your phone can properly be ported over to Public Mobile.

And whatever you decide with Public Mobile, welcome to the community forum, and we look forward in seeing you in our forum with your posts and bravoes!  

ichor
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello and welcome.

There are some excellent answers already but I'll share my story to see if it helps.

Everyone's needs are unique, so it's a matter of finding the phone company that is right for you and your needs.  That's the thing that led me to Public Mobile - it fit my needs.

I'm aiming for digital minimalism in my life, but sometimes I need full internet access on the go.  I wanted a plan where I could keep my old flip phone, but occasionally add data for those months when I'm using my sim in a smart device.  I'm also very frugal so paying for services I won't ever use hurts my heart.  

Looking around, PM seems to offer what I needed (affordable basic plan, optional add ons, thriving community-based help so I don't have to wait for paid staff for simple questions like "how do I turn on/off voicemail?", and a dyslexia-friendly webpage).  I also did some math and it was cheaper to buy my gadget outright and go with PM than to go with a plan that had a 'free' phone.  In less than two years, I'll make my money back with the savings.

The thing that clinched it for me was talking to the staff at London Drugs.  If I buy my sim card there, they can activate my account, migrate my old phone number to here, and close the old account.  AWESOMESAUCE!  It was easy! (but I needed the unlock code and the account number from the old account to make it work).

Before I chose PM, I checked that my gadgets were compatible and that the coverage map covered my home, work, and other hangout spots.  But this is something good to check with any potential cell provider.  

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Lucky mobile (PM's most direct competitor) does not support call forwarding at all. Public Mobile does.

Public Mobile 100 minutes plan includes airtime-free incoming minutes, and airtime free calls to toll-free numbers. Lucky mobile does not - all calls consume airtime.

Lucky mobile data keeps working throttled down to 128Kbps after your plan amount is used up. Publc Mobile data plans stop working entirely.

With Public Mobile Auto-pay credit, Public Mobile plans are instantly all $2 cheaper than Lucky mobile.

Public Mobile has the same coverage and reliability as the Telus network, with full access to 3G and 4G (LTE) networks. LTE data is throttled to 3Mbps, perfectly fine for everyday browsing and app-use.

mchuahua
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'd say the community is the most interesting perk after I've joined. Didn't think it would be at all, but the community has been very helpful and I can ask questions easily.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Billionboat2 Savings is the real factor here. Activating on a cheap plan and receiving guaranteed AutoPay and Loyalty (up to $5) rewards really saves you some money. Plus with referral rewards, you can bring your price down to $0. You might wonder what you have to lose because it sounds too good to be true? Well, service wise you will not have any problem because Public Mobile runs on Telus network and coverage is great throughout Canada. The only thing you have to sort of lose is the way they provide support, but you won't need any support if you don't have any issue with the service. If you are okay with current price, coverage and other services like USA roaming, it's totally worth it. You can give it try for 30 days by activating on the cheapest $15 plan. If you like the service, you can easily port your number and change your plan during the next renewal.

Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Billionboat2 

- No overage charges.

- Add-ons stay on your account until all used up.

- Rewards for AutoPay, referrals, loyalty and community participation

- No contracts

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Billionboat2 

PM is a DIY provider.  But you are not do-it-youself alone.  Members on this forum will help your solve your issues.  By doing it yourself, you are saving fee for your modile service.

PM does not have call center.  Support is provided by a moderator team.  Any account related issue will be handled by moderator as we, member\s on this forum cannot access your PM account.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Billionboat2 wrote:

hi, i have had so many problems with phone company's, can you give me the low down on everything and why i should consider this company?

There are so many reasons: 

1. Cheap plan pricing
  2. Telus network
  3. No contract
  4. Community rewards
  5. Loyalty rewards ($1 off every 30 days for every year you are with Public Mobile)
  6. Auto-pay rewards

To some people, there are some negatives

1. No call centre online customer service only (I think this is a bonus)
  2. During peak times response times from the Moderators could be 48 hours plus.

Really the best you can do is read through the threads.  Search out any questions you may have and see what the responses are it is the best way to learn about this provider.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@Billionboat2  Maybe you should peruse the plans, read the info about various rewards, and/or read through some of the forum topics that catch your eye, to get a feel for the place. That, and maybe ask a few specific questions.

Generally speaking, though, the plans are reasonably priced, Public Mobile is on the Telus network, which pretty much means the most coverage across the country(except a few "cubbyholes"), you can reduce your monthly(30 days) plan cost via various rewards & promotions, and you'll usually get a quicker response to problems via these forums & Moderators, than you would waiting on hold at the other providers.

Need Help? Let's chat.