cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving my son an Xmas gift....

skanji
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Help me out folks...new customer here currently with another carrier ready to sign my son up with his first phone.  I've got a 6 plus unlocked ready to give my son, and sign up with PM.

Going to sign him up for the $15 plan.

1) Here's all the discounts/promos I'm aware of:
- $10 referral code from existing customer
- 1g of free data (add on promo)
- 400 free minutes (add on promo)
- save $2/mo with autopay
Am I missing anything?

2) Assuming I can just pick up a SIM from my neighbourhood superstore and good to go with an old unlocked iPhone 6plus?

3) As this is an xmas gift, do I have to activate it in store as I want him to get in on xmas day?

4) Are the SIM cards free in store? I've heard differing stories - does Superstore vs Walmart matter (in Ottawa)

5) Anything else I should think about?

40 REPLIES 40

skanji

Thanks for the advice...did PM have any boxing day deals last year?

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @skanji 

I actually did the same

Call your local store and ask if they give sim cards, when I called them they told me no and call back at the end of the week and sure enough they had it.

You may also consider waiting for another promotion like that awesome one they had for any plan including 15, of second month free. But you may miss those free gifts.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@skanji wrote:

Help me out folks...new customer here currently with another carrier ready to sign my son up with his first phone.  I've got a 6 plus unlocked ready to give my son, and sign up with PM.

Going to sign him up for the $15 plan.

1) Here's all the discounts/promos I'm aware of:
- $10 referral code from existing customer
- 1g of free data (add on promo)
- 400 free minutes (add on promo)
- save $2/mo with autopay
Am I missing anything?
Your friend will also get $20 credit. Maybe they'll buy your sim if they are a truly good friend, like I do.
2) Assuming I can just pick up a SIM from my neighbourhood superstore and good to go with an old unlocked iPhone 6plus?

Yes

3) As this is an xmas gift, do I have to activate it in store as I want him to get in on xmas day?

No. You can buy the sim and activate yourself online. If you're choosing a new number, Christmas eve should be ok, if your porting 48 hrs. If you want to be very safe, I'd go 48 hours regardless.

4) Are the SIM cards free in store? I've heard differing stories - does Superstore vs Walmart matter (in Ottawa)

$10 + tax at Superstore. Some stores may offer promos on sims though.

5) Anything else I should think about?

If you're porting a number, sign up for a new number first, then port. That way, if the porting goes astray, you'll have something set up for the 25th.

If you don't want him to run out of minutes in a pinch, I'd consider buying the $5 500 minute add on. The minutes are only used when his 100 minutes are out and will not expire until he uses them all up.

@skanji wrote:

@yanzhiqiang wrote:

I got my sim card free in my superstore when activited in store.

Thanks - assuming this wouldn't work if I wanted to wait for the activation on xmas day?  

Do you lose the opportunity to give someone else the $20 activation credit or is that seperate?

That $20 credit is ongoing with no end date given.  The deal could be terminated with short notice as is the case with past deals.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Stay Safe!

skanji

so basically activate in store, and get a free SIM card, or buy it and activate it when you want?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@skanji , you are good to go on the unlocked phone.  SIM cards are $10.  You don't have to activate in the store.  Totally free to do it at home when you want to.  Don't forget to seek a referral and earn $10 one time credit.

skanji

@yanzhiqiang wrote:

Thanks - assuming this wouldn't work if I wanted to wait for the activation on xmas day?  

Do you lose the opportunity to give someone else the $20 activation credit or is that seperate?

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

skanji

Also just to confirm - he isn't porting over from anywhere...this will be a brand new line....

Need Help? Let's chat.