cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving my son an Xmas gift....

skanji
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Help me out folks...new customer here currently with another carrier ready to sign my son up with his first phone.  I've got a 6 plus unlocked ready to give my son, and sign up with PM.

Going to sign him up for the $15 plan.

1) Here's all the discounts/promos I'm aware of:
- $10 referral code from existing customer
- 1g of free data (add on promo)
- 400 free minutes (add on promo)
- save $2/mo with autopay
Am I missing anything?

2) Assuming I can just pick up a SIM from my neighbourhood superstore and good to go with an old unlocked iPhone 6plus?

3) As this is an xmas gift, do I have to activate it in store as I want him to get in on xmas day?

4) Are the SIM cards free in store? I've heard differing stories - does Superstore vs Walmart matter (in Ottawa)

5) Anything else I should think about?

40 REPLIES 40

3s_Plenty

@skanji wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@skanji wrote:

Does this mean, I can't give a referral to someone, give that person $20, and get $10, or will I have an opportunity for that?

If I "activate" in store, do i have to have the phone with me?  What is needed for my activation in store to get a free SIM?

Also, is there choice on phone numbers and where do i pick that?

@skanji  You can give your referral code to anyone you like. Right now you get $20 the person you refer $10.

Call around to the retailers that offer public mobile. Ask if they will give you a free SIM if you activate in store. This is where a higher priced plan might get you a free SIM. You can always tell one store you were offered over the phone by other store free SIM will they match?

You can choose from a list of phone numbers during activation or customize the last four digits.

Sweet, called my local Superstore, and they are giving out free SIMS. Going to activate it now and will hopefully get all the promotions listed here.  Cheers all!

That's awesome to get a free sim. The bonus refferal credit is great, i added my husband in last week and together we will save 30$ and that is on top of the other credits(auto pay etc)

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@skanji 

Here is more details on the activation process for any other questions that you have. what you need and all the steps detailed.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-Activate/ta-p/251824 

Thats great that you found a free sim offer also.  Sounds like a great present for your son!

please let us know if you need referral code

@skanji  That's awesome! You're going to have one happy boy come Christmas morning.

skanji

@darlicious wrote:

@skanji wrote:

Does this mean, I can't give a referral to someone, give that person $20, and get $10, or will I have an opportunity for that?

If I "activate" in store, do i have to have the phone with me?  What is needed for my activation in store to get a free SIM?

@skanji  You can give your referral code to anyone you like. Right now you get $20 the person you refer $10.

Call around to the retailers that offer public mobile. Ask if they will give you a free SIM if you activate in store. This is where a higher priced plan might get you a free SIM. You can always tell one store you were offered over the phone by other store free SIM will they match?

You can choose from a list of phone numbers during activation or customize the last four digits.

Sweet, called my local Superstore, and they are giving out free SIMS. Going to activate it now and will hopefully get all the promotions listed here.  Cheers all!

@skanji wrote:

@skanji wrote:

Should i still wait as there really hasn't been anything new promo-wise in the last few days...

There's no way to know when the best time to sign up will be. Public Mobile isn't going to announce promotions until they're just about to start/or have started.

YVR

@skanji wrote:

/r///// yes, You can out the referral code in when you activate instore.

/// You don't need a phone with you during activations.  Just a way to pay and you details so they activate your account.  Only certain stores are giving out free sims with activation

Yes you get a choice of phone numbers based on your area code.  That happens during activation. You can also change your number every 30 days.

See above for your other questions

skanji

@darlicious wrote:

@skanji  Not sure where you live but expires 11:59pm et.

on the 23rd as I understand it for the free month, right?

skanji

@skanji  Not sure where you live but expires 11:59pm et.

@skanji  Nope it's an excellent deal. You might even get Wal-Mart, the mobile shop , wow mobile, or London drugs to give a free SIM with in store activation. Can't hurt to phone around and ask. Say Wal-Mart offered it but the mobile shop is closer..vice versa.

skanji

@darlicious wrote:

@skanji  As I mentioned you should probably check the announcement thread now! Just so you know if you want to spoil your son with data the first month with the $40plan you can and then switch to the $15. Otherwise pick the $25 and switch to the $15 (change on next renewal). Just so you know it doesn't make much difference which plan you choose to begin with they all average out to $53+tax for six months service when you pick $25/$35/$40/$50 switch to $15 second month.

So to summarize, for new customers:

- $10 referral code from existing customer (no expiry date on offer - referral gets $20)
- 1g of free data (add on promo) (expires Dec 25)
- 400 free minutes (add on promo)(expires Dec 25)
- save $2/mo with autopay (no expiry)

- free month (either activate a $25 or $40 plan) (expires midnight Dec 23)

I don't think it can get any better than this!

@skanji  As I mentioned you should probably check the announcement thread now! Just so you know if you want to spoil your son with data the first month with the $40plan you can and then switch to the $15. Otherwise pick the $25 and switch to the $15 (change on next renewal). Just so you know it doesn't make much difference which plan you choose to begin with they all average out to $53+tax for six months service when you pick $25/$35/$40/$50 switch to $15 second month.

@skanji  Just as I posted *poof* my post disappeared because look what just got announced. Here's my original post to you...Screenshot_20191220-062617.png

@skanji  I would keep an eye on that announcement section this morning if they plan offering a pre xmas promo it might happen today as they often offer flash sales on Fridays. If they do wait until the morning of the last day to activate if possible since it will be a xmas present. Then you can after you activate you can load the free holiday add on gifts so your son will be aĺl set up xmas morning. Are you already a customer? If so using your referral code will also net you the bonus $20 referral credit along with the $10 that will be added to your sons account.

@skanji  *proof * disappearing post because look what got announced as I posted.

skanji

Any thoughts on what to do in terms of activiating before xmas?  Or waiting until after xmas to acivate?  The package right now is pretty good, but thinking I'm going to wait right until xmas eve to see if there is anything else PM is going to offer.

Either way, not going to wait to boxing day...right move for those of you who have been around for a while? ...and I am checking the "Annoucnement" section every day!!!

Stay safe

The $10 referral is still on going but there is a limited time additional $20 credit.  Both Holiday add-ons are available until Dec. 25th.  The autopay reward is available as long as you keep a credit card on file.

skanji

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Black Friday was exceptional this year, but last year, according to an online post there were 5 deals the week before Chrismas. Sit tight I'd say!

For the $15 plan, there are limited opportunities. Often promos are for $25 or higher or $35 or higher plans. Your best bet is a 2nd month free deal on all plans or an extra $10 referral credit.

OK,so ended up waiting...

A few people have reached out to me about going for a more expensive month ($40), get the credit of $40 for free month, get all the other promos, then move to the $15 plan in month #2.

When do the following promotions end:

- $10 referral code from existing customer
- 1g of free data (add on promo)
- 400 free minutes (add on promo)
- save $2/mo with autopay

Should i still wait as there really hasn't been anything new promo-wise in the last few days...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@skanji wrote:

Been out of town for the last few days - was there any new deals this weekend?  Expecting anything new this week??

See up there just under the big PUBLIC logo in the upper left where it says Browse? Click on that and all the categories open out. Click on Announcements and you'll see all the official things the company has announced.

There you'll see that they're having a Flash Sale now.

We can't know what's coming. They don't seem to give much of any notice of promos. They just happen.

skanji

Been out of town for the last few days - was there any new deals this weekend?  Expecting anything new this week??

pmmobile

@skanjiNot missing anything, most things are already covered by previous members. Just one thing that may, or may not affect you: if your son uses short codes (eg texting 33333 in Vancouver) for transit times the phone may not work for these texts for 2-3 days after initial activation.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@skanji...I'd recommend you get a sim and activate some time BEFORE the 25th. As the Xmas promotion read...Available until December 25th, all new and existing customers can get a free 1GB data add-on, 400 minutes of international long-distance calling add-ons.

• These offers are available for all new and existing customers from December 4th 2019 9:00AM ET to December 25th 2019 11:59PM ET

Besides...he'll be able to call his Gramma and Grampa on Xmas morning with his new phone !!!.

Get the sim card, bring it home to activate. If you have a family member or friend who has a PM account, get their referal number for them to take advantage Friend Referal reward.

Once you wisen up and get your own PM account, son can give you his referal number and he can get the Friend Referal reward also.

Remember...you need a separate sim and separate email address for each account. You can use the same credit card for autopay though.

Welcome to Public Mobile.

Stay safe

skanji

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Black Friday was exceptional this year, but last year, according to an online post there were 5 deals the week before Chrismas. Sit tight I'd say!

For the $15 plan, there are limited opportunities. Often promos are for $25 or higher or $35 or higher plans. Your best bet is a 2nd month free deal on all plans or an extra $10 referral credit.

Would it be best to buy the $10 sim card from my local Walmart or superstore and wait to activate it until next week? 

Finding a SIM card next week or beyond may be risking it??

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You're good to go. PM, a good choice!

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

2- yes no issue with phone so long as unlocked

3- you could but the risk is for those couple of days any one of the above promos might expire. plus the common activation error could prevent you from activating on Xmas day (and worse with holidays takes mods much longer to reply). I would do it at least a couple days before Xmas personally

4- in general these days no; the ones offering free sims often have ulterior motives (eg using a friend / co worker as referal code)

Stay Safe!

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I didnt have others referal number, so nobody got any cridet.

Need Help? Let's chat.