cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started

Kitsa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
  • Hello, I need help please, the coverage map on the website has a glitch and won't tell me of I have coverage in my area. Is the phone and data operational anywhere in Canada? I am currently with koodo and would like to switch to public mobile, can i keep my number? Thank you.
15 REPLIES 15

@nukememobile wrote:

Why do you specify to use debit for auto top-up? I'm on auto top-up using my credit card and everything went through without a hitch. 

Only Visa, Mastercard, and Amex credit cards work. For debit, only Visa Debit (sometimes Mastercard Debit) works. Regular debit card can't be used.

nukememobile
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why do you specify to use debit for auto top-up? I'm on auto top-up using my credit card and everything went through without a hitch. 

Janebrm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Koodo is a sister of telus , I was with telus and switched over with no problems,got to keep my old number and they also cancelled my telus devices. Easy sim set up as well.

JLakerson
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@metropublic 

That's funny you mentioned this because I edited my reply shortly after I posted so you must have seen my original post and not my edited reply: 

"When you activate your new Public Mobile SIM card, do not create a temporary new number (one of the options) if you are coming from a Post-paid plan. 

1. Input your current number - DO NOT create a temporary new number IF you are on a Post-paid plan with Koodo."

But to answer your question, most people I know have been with Koodo or are currently with Koodo and they are all on a postpaid plan. So I was under the assumption that @Kitsa might also be on a postpaid plan as well. 

@metropublic Your understanding is correct. Koodo does offer both.

@Kitsa  You have been provided with all the answers by the other community members. Be sure to use a referral code for a $10 sign-up bonus. Applied to your account within 72 hours of activation.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Kitsa 

Koodo and Publicmobile are sister company, your phone will work and the coverage will be the same.

3 differences are

• No VoLTE so to test if it will work well for you force your phone to use only 3g and make calls, for most people this is for an issue bit there are some that have great LTE and poor 3g c coverage.
  • Data is going to be a bit slower, still LTE but bit full speed (again not an issue for anybody I know), on the good side your usage will probably go down a little bit because of optimisation.
  • No call in customer support, if you are fine with this way if support you'll save a lot.

Don't forget to use your friend's referral

I just saw here a post saying this weekend you can get free sim and second month free in Walmart (you can use your friend's referral there too)

Use different email to register to avoid issues as Koodo and Publicmobile share the system, later when your Koodo account shuts down you can change it. You can use email aliases as well works pretty well

If you a with Koodo prepaid you will have to get temporary number and ask moderators to transfer your number

Don't forget to remove your credit card from Koodo system just in case

If your Koodo number gets suspended due to no payment you can still transfer it to Publicmobile since it's in-house move

Hope it helps

Welcome to Publicmobile

metropublic
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

"When you activate your new Public Mobile SIM card, do not create a temporary new number (one of the options) since you would be coming from a Post-paid plan. "

@JLakerson  Just out of curiosity how do you know that @Kitsa  is on a postpaid plan and not a prepaid Koodo plan? My understanding is that Koodo offers both.

JLakerson
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Kitsa 

The coverage will depend on where exactly in Canada you are but since Public Mobile runs under the Telus network, they have pretty good coverage. I've included the coverage map for your reference - taken from the PM website. I was with Koodo for quite a few years until I recently switched over to Public Mobile. I've had no issues with either companies in terms of accessing cellular and data services. Since both Koodo and Public Mobile are under the Telus network, you can most certainly keep your number. When you activate your new Public Mobile SIM card, do not create a temporary new number (one of the options) if you are coming from a Post-paid plan. That was an area that I was confused about originally but was able to figure it out. It took me a lot longer to activate my SIM card however as I had input a credit card and as I signed up for autopay, it needed to be a debit card. So if you follow these steps that I wish I had figured out sooner, the process for you shouldn't be too long:

1. Input your current number - DO NOT create a temporary new number IF you are on a Post-paid plan with Koodo.

2. If you are signing up for the autopay benefit, use a Debit Card, not a Credit Card.

The porting process once I got everything right only took a couple of minutes, and then everything was good to go. Once the porting is successful, you won't need to do anything with your Koodo account as it will close on it's own after I think 30 days - just be sure that you have a balance of $0 before you switch over.

Hope this helps!

Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 10.04.20 AM.png

@Kitsa even though public uses the same Telus/bell network towers. you need to disable the 5g and 4g LTE options and then you will see a more accurate coverage on public mobile. public mobile uses HSPA+ for talk. public does not have volte(voice over LTE) so you need to take this into consideration. depending where you live, your reception could be worse than Koodo, since Koodo uses volte.

https://www.telus.com/en/on/mobility/network/coverage-map

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Kitsa 

Public Mobile uses the Telus network which means you have good coverage. I’ve included a screenshot of their network. Your phone and data will work across Canada. if you go over your data limit then you won’t have data until your next cycle. If you buy a data add-on then any unused data from that add-on will roll over until it’s used up. Keep your Koodo account active when you move your number over. You can start the process in store such as mall cell phone stores or online. I’ve provided a link to both below.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator

https://www.publicmobile.ca/get-started

https://i.ibb.co/tMWsSMD/Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Kitsa wrote:
  • Hello, I need help please, the coverage map on the website has a glitch and won't tell me of I have coverage in my area. Is the phone and data operational anywhere in Canada? @Kitsa  Yes

• I am currently with koodo and would like to switch to public mobile, can i keep my number? Thank you. Koodo and Public Mobile use the same network so coverage will be the same. If you are currently on a Koodo postpaid plan you can port in your number during your Public Mobile activation stage. If you are on a Koodo prepaid plan then just pick a temporary number during activation and once you are setup you cam port your number by contacting PM. Be sure to note the best practices below to ensure a smooth process:
    1. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number.
    2. You cannot transfer numbers between Public Mobile accounts.
    3. Your previous account must be active in order for the number transfer to go through. Once the transfer is complete, it will be automatically deactivated from your previous service provider.
    4. Double check your old account info, as it needs to be correct in order for your number transfer to complete. Here’s the information you’ll need:
  • Account number with previous provider
  • name on the account
  • phone number with the previous provider.

To complete your port-in request, click this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. Include the info from above. If you are still having problems contacting Public Mobile then click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Note:  If you have a Walmart near they are currently running a promo for a free sim and the second month free.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM uses Telus and Bell towers.  Koodo is owned by Telus so you should have the same coverage.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Kitsa wrote:
  • Hello, I need help please, the coverage map on the website has a glitch and won't tell me of I have coverage in my area. Is the phone and data operational anywhere in Canada? I am currently with koodo and would like to switch to public mobile, can i keep my number? Thank you.

Public Mobile and Koodo are both Telus owned so wherever Koodo works, PM will also work.

You can definitely keep your old number...just don't close out your Koodo account until port is complete.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Telus owns Koodo and Public Mobile so you will have no problems and you can transfer your number over. If Koodo prepaid select a new number then contact moderators to transfer over.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Kitsa wrote:

Public Mobile and Koodo are owned by Telus so coverage is the same. Yes, you can keep your number. You just need to port it over.

May I suggest using the live chat for activations:

https://chat.telus.com/chat/publicmobile/chat-pm.html?portal=publicmobile&language=en

Need Help? Let's chat.