cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a second phone added - how?

polarpaw
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I am fairly new to Public Mobile and really am loving the service.

I would like to add an account to be able to pay for the service for my daughter's phone as she is going to college.

From what I can see here, you can't have multiple phones on your single account.

What is the best way to create an account for her but have the monthly bill charged to me?

17 REPLIES 17

PM is nationwide. Vouchers are sold nationwide. And online. Those prepaid visa gift cards are available nationwide in even more stores than those that sell vouchers. Home Depot even of all places. Don't get MyVanilla. Vanilla works fine if you're looking at that brand.

There's a bit of a fee to buy them as that is how they make their money.

The AB thing is about taxes. If you use a credit card (gift too) and make payments here with it then your area code decides the taxes to charge. If you have an AB area code then you'll only pay GST. Buying vouchers physically in AB or if you know someone there would also only be GST.

You can certainly buy vouchers with cash.

Then there's real time payments or instant top-up in only a few stores. You have to be sure that the clerk doesn't sell you a voucher. They would be more familiar with that. The real time payment comes in automatically via your phone number. Not entering in a code like a voucher.

@Ali11 actually all SDM/711/shell and many gas stations have voucher.   Some people have problems with voucher because they are not aware vouchers from some stores have a 24 hours wait time before it can be used.   So, better to buy vouchers 1 or 2 days ahead and don't wait for last min

Yiu can also get vouchers online and  use immediately at ding.com or recharge.com

@Ali11 wrote:

You mean PM in ON would take Visa gift cards? Good to know, thanks. Worth a try anyway but I'm puzzled as to why companies would want to keep accepting them a secret..

They can be used a virtually any merchant that accepts visa credit cards.

Ali11
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You mean PM in ON would take Visa gift cards? Good to know, thanks. Worth a try anyway but I'm puzzled as to why companies would want to keep accepting them a secret..

Ali11

Apparently vouchers aren't available in Ontario. Looks like many comments here apply to AB locations. I see people having issues with instant top ups here.

@Ali11 if you have an account setup already, suspended or active, you can go with instant top up with cash (or Visa gc)

Instant top-ups are currently available at most Canadian Tire Gas, Esso, Gateway Newstands, and MacEwen locations

You cam also buy a voucher with cash (or Visa gc) and then top up the voucher using *611

And reality, Visa gc is like visa.  Some sites have problem with it because of the address 

@Ali11 wrote:

I'm back to this 😁. Interesting point on anonymity  I'm in Ontario and I don't see Visa gift available as a payment option. Visa debit, yes but that is not anonymous. I wonder if there are any places in Ontario where you can pay with cash.

Companies don't advertise accepting Visa gift cards/prepaid Visa ads.  For the most part merchants consider these to be the same as Visa credit cards.

Ali11

I'm back to this 😁. Interesting point on anonymity  I'm in Ontario and I don't see Visa gift available as a payment option. Visa debit, yes but that is not anonymous. I wonder if there are any places in Ontario where you can pay with cash.

@Ali11- As far as I know it works for what this place accepts.

You can pretty much activate and function entirely anonymously. You could use a visa gift card for the activation money, you could make any random email service account (it would be useful if it was retrievable/accessible), you can use vouchers bought with cash after activation and you could start an AB number to save on provincial taxes (but not vouchers if you're not in AB).

Ali11

Thanks dust2dust :). So their name doesn't matter as long as the postal code is good, it could be Donald Duck? Does that work for all credit cards?

@Ali11- Haven't seen Triguy for quite a while.

You need a new sim and a unique email address and you create a new account. You can use the same credit card. All it needs is for the postal code to match the credit card billing address.

Ali11

I want do do the same for a family member. If I need to setup a new account for them, in their name and try to charge it to my credit card, won't the bank reject it? Normally they want the name on the charge and the credit card to match.

Or do I setup a new account with my name but using a different email address?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@polarpaw wrote:

Hi,

I would like to add an account to be able to pay for the service for my daughter's phone as she is going to college.

From what I can see here, you can't have multiple phones on your single account.

What is the best way to create an account for her but have the monthly bill charged to me?

@polarpaw 

1. Purchase a PM sim card or find a retail location that offeres free PM sim card when you activate at the store. (London Drugs, Walmart etc)
  2. Check to see if your email supports aliases if yes create one for your daughter account. If not, then you need to create a new email for your daughter.
  3. Have your referral code ready from your account.
  4. Activate the PM simcard and setup AutoPay  using the same credit card information that you used for your account.

That it!!

Menntes
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

On google you can make others gmail accounts yours so they forward every message to you, you can bacsially have another account. Keep the same credit card for auto pay and then bam you got another account. And at the same time you can refer yourself so you get $1 every month and she gets a $10 credit on her first month. 

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@polarpaw wrote:

Hi,

The exact same way you did the first one. you can do the second one the same but just use a different email address. That's all. Also don't forget to use your number as a referral so you get $1 off your existing number and you get $10 credit on the new number 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@polarpaw, I use email alias when setting up additional accounts.  All correspondence to the same gmail account.  It must be recognized that this convenience is not without cost.  Some of the Public Mobile functions don't play nice with email alias although they are working to fix this.  One thing to be mindful of is when using the same credit card for more than one account.  It would be nice to have staggered payment schedule to avoid multiple simultaneous payments on the same card.  This can cause anti fraud response from the credit card company. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can have only one phone#, per sim, account,and email.  You could setup autopay with a credit card in your name to pay for your daughter's account.

Need Help? Let's chat.