cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get existing number

Patelharsh0311
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I want to close my rogers phone number and want to move to public mobile. Can I get same number on public mobile?

4 REPLIES 4

etnom
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

"please keep your Rogers SIM in your phone after initiated your port request with PM.  Rogers will send you a port request confirmation text message to your Rogers SIM.  If you do not confirm the port request, Rogers will not release your phone number to PM.  Then, you will be stuck at the stage 2 with all incoming calls and texts continue to go the Rogers SIM and paying for your Rogers service as your Rogers account is still active until the Rogers releases your number and cancel your account."

How would i go about releasing the number from Rogers if i had swapped the SIM card before receiving the confirmation text?  I helped my MIL swap to PM from Rogers and found out today that we cant cancel Rogers till the number has been successfully ported.  So it sounds like we are in a bit of limbo.  On PM, it shows the number on the MyAccount page, and texts/calls are working on the phone.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Patelharsh0311 wrote:

I want to close my rogers phone number and want to move to public mobile. Can I get same number on public mobile?

Yes, you can move your Rogers phone number to PM.  The number moving process is call porting a number.  You can initiate the porting process during or after your activation.

FYI - Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. After submitted your porting request, PM set up your old number on your PM account. Login to your account. Select the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab. Is your old number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] page?
If yes, PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.
If no, you should create a support ticket for moderator to investigate. Moderator wait time is from couple of hours to couple of days.

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release your number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider. You can continue to use the old provider SIM card until it stops working which is the indication that your number was released to PM.

Ask if you have more questions.  It is better for you get your questions answered now so that you know exactly what will happen.  With my experience porting number from Rogers network to PM, it took about 30 minutes for Rogers to release number to PM at 10 PM MT (i.e. midnight central time).

One more thing, please keep your Rogers SIM in your phone after initiated your port request with PM.  Rogers will send you a port request confirmation text message to your Rogers SIM.  If you do not confirm the port request, Rogers will not release your phone number to PM.  Then, you will be stuck at the stage 2 with all incoming calls and texts continue to go the Rogers SIM and paying for your Rogers service as your Rogers account is still active until the Rogers releases your number and cancel your account.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Patelharsh0311 , yes you can.  During the activation process, choose the option to transfer your existing number, supply the required information to transfer the number, acknowledge the transfer via text message from the Rogers end and that is about it.  This illustrated activation guide is a bit old but by and large still accurate.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Start-Guide-Setup-Activation-Port-Dat...

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Patelharsh0311 wrote:

Choose the chat bubble in the lower right hand corner and  type: port request.

You can use the live chat for activations:

https://chat.telus.com/chat/publicmobile/chat-pm.html?portal=publicmobile&language=en

Need Help? Let's chat.